Recommendations for AR/M4 5 round Mags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Hey --

My son is hunting with us this year, he is 10 but a very small kid......his last Dr. visit says he is in the 5% for weight....meaning 95% of kids his age and height weigh more than him. He shot the .243 but complained about the kick, so we let him shoot the M4 and he is dead on over the targets at 100 yards! Where we hunt all of our shots will be less than 100 yards......and I will have a clean up shot with the .308 just in case!!

Anyhoo, I need to get a 5 round magazine for my M4 -- any suggestions?? Thanks!!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    More ammo = more weight = less felt recoil

Unless of course you're hunting with a stupid mag capacity limit....

Last edited:

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I tried a Remington, made for the R15. The follower was so rounded on the aft end that it missed the bolt release lever. I put in a standard follower and it works fine. These mags were not meant to be disassembled, I had to straighten and rebend the ears on the body to get the floorplate in and out.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My President Clinton era Colt, 20' H bar. Came with no bayonet lug! And two 20 round metal Colt Magazines, blocked off to 5 rounds

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Hey --

My son is hunting with us this year, he is 10 but a very small kid......his last Dr. visit says he is in the 5% for weight....meaning 95% of kids his age and height weigh more than him. He shot the .243 but complained about the kick, so we let him shoot the M4 and he is dead on over the targets at 100 yards! Where we hunt all of our shots will be less than 100 yards......and I will have a clean up shot with the .308 just in case!!

Anyhoo, I need to get a 5 round magazine for my M4 -- any suggestions?? Thanks!!

C Product Defence or CPD Mags are great. They make a 5 shot AR Mag Stainless Steel and coated. All I use is 5 shot Mags in my hunting arms. It makes the rifle much easier to hold and balance.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Where is there a round limit?

Well guys -- seems that what I've been told for my entire life has been a "old wise tale" -- Lessons Learned here -- DO YOUR RESEARCH! LA Reg does NOT have a restriction -- if you want, slap your 30 round mag in and have at it!! The only restriction is that you caliber must be larger than .22

Well, that saved me a few dollars -- and hopefully a few BUCKS for my 10 year old!

That's why forums like this are so valuable.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Well guys -- seems that what I've been told for my entire life has been a "old wise tale" -- Lessons Learned here -- DO YOUR RESEARCH! LA Reg does NOT have a restriction -- if you want, slap your 30 round mag in and have at it!! The only restriction is that you caliber must be larger than .22

Well, that saved me a few dollars -- and hopefully a few BUCKS for my 10 year old!

Yes, as long as it is a 22 centerfire cartridge.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA

Yep. No problem.

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Just use a 20rd Pmag, with 5-10 rounds. The weight between a 20 and 30 round is not noticeable

offshoremedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010

Well, that saved me a few dollars -- and hopefully a few BUCKS for my 10 year ol

We did at one time have a 5 round limit and was changed to 10 rounds but now is unlimited. So you weren’t completely wrong.

la.shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2014
    Lake Charles, La
    By sons both started out shooting a heavy-barreled (not a bull/target barrel) AR-type rifle, due to age and adverse reaction to recoil. I coyote hunt with an AR in 223, but at first, I was skeptical about using a for 223 on deer, mainly for fear of wounding the animal and not being able to retrieve it.

Based on my research and experience, I would recommend a premium grade 69-grain or 77-grain BTHP (boat tail / hollow point) round - whichever weight your particular rifle barrel twist, length, etc. shoots best. This approach has always worked well for us, when used in conjunction with with a well-placed shoulder shot, even out to around 150+ yards.

As far as the magazine goes, I would recommend a 5-shot Magpul magazine. I have several, and have never has any functioning issues in any of my rifles. The 20 or 30-round mags will work well also, but the problem is the projection from the bottom of the rifle. These mags will not work in most rests (for sighting in) and severely limit the available shooting positions off of a bench, or in a blind. Not to mention that the larger mags are more likely to bang against something in the blind making noise. As far as the weight of the additional rounds in the magazine, probably not significant to mitigate the already minimal recoil of the 223 in an AR-platform rifle.

Hope this helps.

Hackett

Reloader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Marrero, LA
    Depending in what your state's laws are for hunting, you may be able to use a magpul 10rd with a -5 round limiter, which is what i did in TX a few months back. Some states don't allow limiters and go by the mags max, which is kind of ignorant considering most pump shotguns just have a wooden or plastic dowel to make them 3 rd total.

If yoy specifically want a 5 rd total/max magaxine, check out gunmagwarehouse.com

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom