Recommendations for AR/M4 5 round Mags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benelli_t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Louisiana
    Started my son with my AR 223 as well. I'm using Barnes 55 gr I think and it groups well. I went with 10 rd PMAGS... they sit almost flush when inserted. The 30 rd mags catch everything in the deer stand when moving it around while trying to position. Never had a lick of trouble with the PMAGS yet. I'm fixing to move him over to a 25-06 so hopefully the AR was good training.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My son and I have taken 3 deer in Mississippi over the last couple of years with 62 gr. Federal Fusion ammo. Groups very well out of my 16" BCM and all three deer dropped where they stood. I am going to get a couple of the 5 round p mags to make the rifle a bit more slick in the stand and in case we hunt somewhere that has a 5 round limit.

BTW. I'm a bit confused by an earlier post. Is .22 centerfire legal for deer in Louisiana? I had always thought it was not, but never checked as our camp is in MS.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    You can hunt deer with .22 Centerfire (not rimfire!) You cannot use anything LESS than .22 centerfire according to the LA Hunting Regulation, page 35.

You do NOT need a 5 round magazine as required in other states, however I did purchase them anyway, I agree it makes the M4 much more hunter friendly, i.e. "slick" as you stated above.

I got these:
    s-l1600.jpg

They are very well made, black stainless steel, and have functioned flawlessly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom