Pearl river boat launch.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babrod

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    Plaquemine, Louisiana
    I've been hunting Pearl River WMA near the gun range. What's the nearest boat launch from that area? The hunting trails are nice but it sure seems hunting by boat opens up all kinds of possibilities. Also for anyone knowledgeable I see what looks to be a boat launch right before I take the left to the gun range. Is that just a big pond or does that creek go a little ways? Thanks in advance.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    There is a launch under the Pearl River bridge on the gun range side. Leaving the refuge headed back to New Orleans you pass right by it under the bridge.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Some PRWMA boat launches accommodate flat bottom boats while some are better for the heavier center console boats. The previous post has all the launches marked, however if you have a heavier boat I'd use the Eastern-most launch on Hwy 90. It's large and fully concrete whereas some of the others are small and the launch areas can be made of sand.

Yes, boats in PRWMA really open up access.

IMO, the key to hunting public lands is to go where other hunters do not go. Once I saw a guy walking in off of Hwy 11 spray a whole can of OFF on himself trying to keep the skeeters away. Talking to a guy like that about scent control is pointless. I've seen hunters peeing where they hunt. All sorts of brilliant actions. So... go where other people do not go. The longer it takes you to get there the more likely only serious hunters who know what they are doing are back there, or no one at all. 35,000 acres is a lot of land. I've seen countless permanent blinds illegally build back in some of those hard to reach places. Those blinds stay because few people ever see them.

Suggestion... print a map of PRWMA. Take a marker and mark everywhere that is accessible within a 30 minute walk or boat ride from all roads and launches. The areas left unmarked likely represent your best chance to bag big game after six weeks of hunting season being open. Opening week is different, but now you need to go where others are not. Keep the wind to your face and PRWMA offers a lot of meat.

babrod

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    Plaquemine, Louisiana
    Thanks. That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Go where others aren't. I'm looking further out to next year. I don't own a boat now so I'm limited to foot. Gorgeous woods though.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I've been hunting Pearl River WMA near the gun range. What's the nearest boat launch from that area? The hunting trails are nice but it sure seems hunting by boat opens up all kinds of possibilities. Also for anyone knowledgeable I see what looks to be a boat launch right before I take the left to the gun range. Is that just a big pond or does that creek go a little ways? Thanks in advance.

You’re profile says you live in Plaquemine. If you want to hunt pearl river go for it but you’re pretty close to the basin and Attakapas WMA. If you’re going to invest in a boat then you’re right down the road from where you want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babrod

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    Plaquemine, Louisiana
    Hey Sandman. I own a vacation home in NOLA so I'm there alot. I'm only 45 minutes away from Pearl River in that regard. I've hunted in basin alot as a kid and I'll probably make one or two hunts this year but I'm just really excited that I have public land so near to the Big Easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    CajunMinuteman1812
    Top Bottom