Suggestions for optics with 1-4x or 1-6x for 300 blk

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My current build is a 300 blk pistol and I'm trying to find a good variable scope for it in either 1-4x or 1-6x. I can find a lot of those with a 556 BDC reticle but few with either a 300 BDR or a generic reticle. Also, I'd prefer to keep it under $300 although I don't mind spending a little more if I'm getting something for the extra money. I'm looking at close to medium range so SFP is acceptable. I also tend to over-research a lot of stuff, especially when I have time to do so. A few choices I'm considering are:

Primary Arms 1-6X24mm SFP scope w/ACSS 300BLK/ 7.62X39 Reticle - 1-6x with a 300 blk reticle
    Primary Arms 1-6X24mm SFP Riflescope Gen III with K.I.S.S. Reticle - seems to be the same as previous one with a generic reticle
    Primary Arms 1-4X24mm Illuminated Riflescope - inexpensive but only 1-4x, generic reticle
    Millett Tactical BK81624 Designated Marksman DMS-2 1-6 x 24mm Illuminated BCR-1 Reticle Riflescope - I've always been a fan of Millet since I first used one in Iraq. It held up very well and I still have it 13 years later. 5.56 reticle.
    Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 - 556 reticle. More expensive than the PA but may be better quality.
    Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x24 - generic reticle. 2x the price of the PA 1-4x.

I know the 556 BDC reticles are only 100% accurate with a specific rifle with a specific bullet under specific conditions. I realize they would need to be verified/recalculated if I put them on my 556 10.5" pistol so I can easily recalculate for a 300 blk 9" pistol. As such, I'm not completely put off by a 556 reticle.

I looked through the last 5 or so pages of the "what optics do you have" but didn't see very many 1-something scopes. Does anyone have any ideas on what other scopes they feel I should be considering? The main use will be nuisance critter elimination on our farm, usually in lower light situations. A lot of the reticles I'm leaning toward are the larger, easier to see ones.

Worst case scenario, I have a spare EOTech 512 I can throw on it. It's not a variable but I guess I can grab a magnifier.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Vortex has my vote. I like my SE 1-8x model. You can use the reticle for multiple calibers. They offer a ballistic calculator on their website.

The crossfire looks like a good option as well.

Last edited:

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I say go vortex as well. I’ve had 2, a crossfire 2 that I sold and a viper 6.5-20x44 that I love. Only sold the crossfire cuz I didn’t fill any need that I had. Glass is awesome on both, IMO way above the price category.

My experience with primary arms has not been so awesome. My aero 308 beat the objective bell loose on a 4-14 and the replacement came with a wobbly eye piece. They gave me a refund with no hassle so CS is great and shipping was fast. However that doesn’t mean too much to me if the product doesn’t work as needed. That was a few years ago so maybe they have improved, ymmv.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I say go vortex as well. I’ve had 2, a crossfire 2 that I sold and a viper 6.5-20x44 that I love. Only sold the crossfire cuz I didn’t fill any need that I had. Glass is awesome on both, IMO way above the price category.

My experience with primary arms has not been so awesome. My aero 308 beat the objective bell loose on a 4-14 and the replacement came with a wobbly eye piece. They gave me a refund with no hassle so CS is great and shipping was fast. However that doesn’t mean too much to me if the product doesn’t work as needed. That was a few years ago so maybe they have improved, ymmv.

I've read and heard a s#!$ ton of good things about the primary arms 1-4x and 1-6x scopes but I'm still hesitant. I picked up their Advanced 30mm Red Dot and was less than impressed. That red dot is sitting on the 11 year old's "starter" rifle. If a good deal on the 1-6x Vortex pops up this holiday season, I may just grab it to check it out.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I am waiting for a good deal on the Strike Eagle myself as I need an optic for the SBR. Vortex makes a good product and the warranty is outstanding.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I've read and heard a s#!$ ton of good things about the primary arms 1-4x and 1-6x scopes but I'm still hesitant. I picked up their Advanced 30mm Red Dot and was less than impressed. That red dot is sitting on the 11 year old's "starter" rifle. If a good deal on the 1-6x Vortex pops up this holiday season, I may just grab it to check it out.

Actually if your not dead set on having a true 1x I would recommend checking out a leupold vx hog 1-4x. It’s 8 oz, has a 1 inch tube and offers a 75ish foot field of view (so more like 1.3x on the low end). I’ve looked at one at a local shop and it’s very clear. IMO it’s the standard of low power lightweight variable power scopes. I plan on getting one as the “pig plex” bdc lines up very close to a mk262 at 2400ish FPS (sbr/pistol velocity) to 400 or so yards so I think it will be a good match with my pistol build.

Top Bottom