Anyone here own a DJI Spark?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If so, how do you like it? "Santa" is thinking about bringing my one for Christmas. Between that and the Phantom 3 Standard, the Spark seems to win out for the general fun I'm looking for.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    Yeah, get it. With the remote, I've flown it out at least 1.5 miles. Get extra batteries though. Each battery lasts about 14-15 minutes. The video quality is excellent at 1080p. Plus, most people think it's a toy, so they don't bother you. The Phantom 3 is too big and bulky.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah, get it. With the remote, I've flown it out at least 1.5 miles. Get extra batteries though. Each battery lasts about 14-15 minutes. The video quality is excellent at 1080p. Plus, most people think it's a toy, so they don't bother you. The Phantom 3 is too big and bulky.

That's is pretty in line with what I was thinking. I was going to ship the "fly more" package and add the remote, a battery or two, and the guards to fly indoors. I like the usb cable charging. And they just released a $90 battery pack for the spark and two batteries. The flight time and the 60 fps video was the main reason I was even looking at the phantom. But my wife shops a kohl's and they are going to have the spark for $400 with $120 in store credit so an effective price of $280 makes it difficult to pass up.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also, get this if you own an Android phone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LN3LQKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works better than the Wi-fi. I don't use Wi-fi anymore because it's not very stable. Hook this up from your remote to your phone and you can make it fly about 30MPH and go out to 2 miles or so depending on your signal.

I don't have an android phone. Does the phone use cellular data? I do have a small dell android tablet I could dedicate to the (not really a) drone.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    That's is pretty in line with what I was thinking. I was going to ship the "fly more" package and add the remote, a battery or two, and the guards to fly indoors. I like the usb cable charging. And they just released a $90 battery pack for the spark and two batteries. The flight time and the 60 fps video was the main reason I was even looking at the phantom. But my wife shops a kohl's and they are going to have the spark for $400 with $120 in store credit so an effective price of $280 makes it difficult to pass up.

For $280, you can't beat that. I bought mines for around $800 with all the extras. Good deal at $280. Just be careful and don't let kids play with it. Those blades cut. It has front and bottom sensors, but no back, no top, no side sensors. I'd advise you to buy the protection plan direct from DJI because they'll replace it twice within 2 years if you accidentally break the drone. I crashed my drone into a tree, and they sent me a new one 2 weeks later. Not bad for an extra $60 or $70.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    If you have an iphone they have cables for that as well. It uses wifi for the signal, not cellular data. I'd go the USB cable route because it's a direct connection and better signal. That way you can fly it out 1.5 miles or more.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you have an iphone they have cables for that as well. It uses wifi for the signal, not cellular data. I'd go the USB cable route because it's a direct connection and better signal. That way you can fly it out 1.5 miles or more.

From what I gather, the app on the phone talks to the remote and the remote talks to the spark. But does the phone use any cellular data? In other words, could a non-cellular tablet be used if it were small enough?

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    No cellular data. Wifi only. The remote has a stronger wifi signal that's how the drone can go out 1.5 miles or more. The regular phone wifi is weak and if you just use phone wifi you get max distance of only a few hundred feet.

Top Bottom