Legal Question About Abandoned Vehicles in Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If there are any legal eagles here, I have searched through the Civil Code and the Revised Statutes of Louisiana and cannot find anything that refers to this scenario:

An ex-employee left his truck on my property over a year ago.
    I have tried to find him to no avail to either get him to come get it.
    Now, I want to take possession of it to sell it.

Anyone?

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I just talked to a notary I know. As it been over a year, you need to fill out a form 1799 (not sure if it's available on line or from DMV). Take it to a Justice of the Peace and apply for an "abandoned vehicle title". Once you have the title the vehicle is yours to do with as you please.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I just talked to a notary I know. As it been over a year, you need to fill out a form 1799 (not sure if it's available on line or from DMV). Take it to a Justice of the Peace and apply for an "abandoned vehicle title". Once you have the title the vehicle is yours to do with as you please.

I will check into this.

Thank you, Sir!

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Just a thought, does the vehicle have Louisiana plates? Things get a lot more complicated if another state is involved.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    you must own or have lease rights on the property to clam.
    the 1799 is also useful for boats, rv, atv, etc...
    but if there is a lein on it, or a theft report then you cant claim it until those are settled.

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    Know anyone in the tow business? 1.) have it removed, no longer your problem. Or 2.) they take ownership of many vehicles all the time, probably a good source of information on who to talk to expedite the process.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I have been out of the loop for a couple of years but I worked for a towing company. I've never heard of the 1799. Be careful and work with your local LEO.

Business property is different then private property. Businesses such as gas stations, hotels and restaurants were regular calls.

ANYTHING we towed from private property was with the consent of STPSO. A "friend" we knew had us tow his truck for him. He kind of neglected to inform us he was split from his wife and the property had not been settled. The **** storm hit when his ex noticed his truck was gone. Threats pertaining to auto theft etc ensued. Not fun. Lesson learned.

It was not easy to get a permit to sell or a permit to junk a vehicle even for the tow business. We did not receive a "title" per say. Registered letters had to be mailed and if there was a lien the s@#% just got deeper.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    You've got to be extra careful when two states are involved. When I worked at a used car lot, the owner knew a fellow dealer over in Waskom Texas. The dealer had sold a car to a dead beat in Shreveport and decided to come over here and hook the car (apparently legal in Texas). He got several years in Louisiana prison for theft of a movable.

Top Bottom