Automatic Knives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I for one would like to see those laws change. Kinda silly when you can walk across the state line to Texas and own and carry one. What's the point?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    I for one would like to see those laws change. Kinda silly when you can walk across the state line to Texas and own and carry one. What's the point?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just another law that makes criminals out of ordinary folks.

Also, if it were so illegal, why would a well established business risk it selling to civilians?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I just thought it was funny that I can carry a 1911 but I can't carry a 3" pocket knife because it has a spring opener...

BTW, does anybody know of someone that repairs switchblades? I inherited a cheapie (it was in a box in my grandfather's shed). The spring broke a long time ago... It'd be nice to have it functional.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My POST cert and masters in criminal law may have a little to do with my experience. Like I said before, it's a matter of criminal intent. Louisiana has a very quirky criminal justice system, the way several statutes are written, and the way they are enforced are rarely the same thing, this is a prime example.

Svt said it best, its cop to cop. Good night.

Your experience appears to be very limited, even with your POST certification and your masters in criminal law. Criminal intent is not a requirement to be guilty of violating that law. Ownership is all that is required. An officer can elect to not enforce that law if they believe the public interest is not better served by enforcing it. That's called officer discretion. Officer discretion is an option, not a requirement. But officer discretion only works one way. An office can only choose to not enforce what is a real law. They cannot choose to enforce a law that does not exist. So by agreeing it is cop to cop, there's no reasonable option but to acknowledge the law can be enforced.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If the spring is broke then is it legal now? ;)
    Wingate

I've wondered about that.... but I still wouldn't carry it. Its sentimental, and I tend to loose pocket knives. Second, its not a great knife. Lots of play, tiny blade, etc. Its not a true working knife. But I'd like to have it working...

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just another law that makes criminals out of ordinary folks.

Also, if it were so illegal, why would a well established business risk it selling to civilians?

Money. It's not illegal to sell them. It's just illegal for some people to own them. So the stores "assume" you can legally own and possess them. And in reality, how's a cop going to know you have one unless they have some reason to search you. And that usually only happens if you're doing something else wrong. So the likely hood of being arrested only for the knife are pretty slim.

But, owning an automatic knife, I can say the assisted opening knives are almost the same thing.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Your experience appears to be very limited, even with your POST certification and your masters in criminal law. Criminal intent is not a requirement to be guilty of violating that law. Ownership is all that is required. An officer can elect to not enforce that law if they believe the public interest is not better served by enforcing it. That's called officer discretion. Officer discretion is an option, not a requirement. But officer discretion only works one way. An office can only choose to not enforce what is a real law. They cannot choose to enforce a law that does not exist. So by agreeing it is cop to cop, there's no reasonable option but to acknowledge the law can be enforced.

Find me a DA that will pick up the charge without clear and concise criminal intent. You won't. For someone who is supposedly on the enforcement side of the coin, you should know this.

You're not going to talk circles around me, especially with your condescending conjecture. I know what I know, but I guess you like playing the devil's advocate, which i respect. We can agree to disagree about the enforcement of law as it is written.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My POST cert and masters in criminal law may have a little to do with my experience. Like I said before, it's a matter of criminal intent. Louisiana has a very quirky criminal justice system, the way several statutes are written, and the way they are enforced are rarely the same thing, this is a prime example.

Svt said it best, its cop to cop. Good night.

So just being POST makes it's legal?

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    So just being POST makes it's legal?

which part? POST certified means you can 100% legally own and carry an auto opening knife in the state of LA. It's clearly defined in the statute. It is enumerated further to be described as a "rescue knife."

This thread has been derailed, and honestly, I'm probably mostly to blame for that.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Find me a DA that will pick up the charge without clear and concise criminal intent. You won't. For someone who is supposedly on the enforcement side of the coin, you should know this.

You're not able to talk circles around me, especially with your condescending conjecture.
    I know what I know, and you're trying too hard for someone with any common sense, but I guess you like playing the devil's advocate, which i respect.

I should have approached my responses in a different manner.

The DA's office is not likely to accept the charges as stand alone charges. But the DA's office's refusal to pick up the charges does not change the law. The law is what it is.

But yes, you should have approached your responses in a different manner. You should have said, while illegal, it's highly unlikely the person with the knife will be arrested. As someone on the enforcement side of the coin, I know just about the only time I would know about the knife would be if I ran across it during a search incident to arrest.

But you insisted ownership was legal. Even when the law itself disagreed with you, you insisted the meaning of the law did not correspond to the definitions of the words used in the law. Being on the enforcement side of the coin, I would be doing a disservice to whoever I was talking to if I told them something illegal was legal. Or if I told them, as a police officer, they would be fine if they broke the law.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I think we are nitpicking each other now. Louisiana has a lot of dumb, unenforced laws. The automatic knife law is one of those.

Is it illegal to own / possess an automatic knife? Yes.

Will a cop arrest you / cite you for it? Probably not.

Is it possible to be arrested for it and have a DA that will pick up the charge? Yes - though only likely if the charge is accompanying other charges.

Moral of story: Don't be stupid with an automatic knife. Plus, they really aren't that useful.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think we are nitpicking each other now. Louisiana has a lot of dumb, unenforced laws. The automatic knife law is one of those.

Is it possible to be arrested for it and have a DA that will pick up the charge? Yes - though only likely if the charge is accompanying other charges.

Moral of story: Don't be stupid with an automatic knife. Plus, they really aren't that useful.

I'm sorry...I'll try to learn to play well with others.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    which part? POST certified means you can 100% legally own and carry an auto opening knife in the state of LA. It's clearly defined in the statute. It is enumerated further to be described as a "rescue knife."

This thread has been derailed, and honestly, I'm probably mostly to blame for that.

You are a LEO?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Don't forget to tell LSP about the arrest and charges dropped on the CHP app. :D

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany

Automatic Knives are not rescue knives. POST ceritifcations have zero to do with knives.

Funny, when you Google search Louisiana knife laws and rescue knives, this thread comes up.

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?147005-Stupid-Louisiana-Knife-Law

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Top Bottom