Automatic Knives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I wonder if we'll ever have any luck with switchblade or automatic knives ever becoming legal here in Louisiana? Sure would be nice to be able to carry an auto knife. Lot of nice ones on the market also.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wonder if we'll ever have any luck with switchblade or automatic knives ever becoming legal here in Louisiana? Sure would be nice to be able to carry an auto knife. Lot of nice ones on the market also.

I have an automatic knife. One day when I was carrying it, the button got pushed when it was in my pocket. Luckily, the cut I got reaching in my pocket wasn't too bad.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Funny last time I talked with Doug and his wife(in June) , they claimed they were already working on it with state reps. It'd probably get more attention if more people from here donate and request action from knife rights.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I retired my 12 year old SOG-Tac yesterday for a new Microtech. I doubt the Ultratech will ever self-deploy, but my SOG did occasionally since I never used the safety. With all the great assisted openers out there you aren't gaining much but a cool factor with an auto, though I do find the double action useful to safely stow the blade.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    There are some really good assisted openers available but it seems like, although you may pay a little more, there are more USA made autos than USA made assisted openers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    The Cool factor is the only thing really going for the autos. A buddy showed me an Emerson and that was very quick and slick and the assisted are really fast too. I find orienting to the auto switch probably as time delayed as a regular knife or an assisted maybe faster. idk i like my autos boker ak dropoint sideopener and microtech otf.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Funny last time I talked with Doug and his wife(in June) , they claimed they were already working on it with state reps. It'd probably get more attention if more people from here donate and request action from knife rights.

I spoke with him last year. He said that there were other states with less freedoms than Louisiana, which is sadly true.

I would rather Louisiana do something about the "you can't carry a concealed weapon," law. OTF's are neato, but they suck at everything other than cutting paper.

As far as pocket knives go, nothing will ever beat an Emerson...

- - - Updated - - -

I have a HK by benchmade OTF that I carry daily. No issues.

You could probably carry weed in your pocket all day, but it's still illegal.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I own a bunch of "affordable" kershaw knives. But I really like their assisted open, SUPER fast, and after buying the ken onion leek, It's been my every day carry for a while now. I LOVE IT. I know it can't hold a sharp edge for long if you cut into tough things, but I can sharpen it easily, and still be at 1/5th the price of a benchmade assisted open.

My brother carries a benchmade OTF and though cool, I don't think it's worth the price and as practical.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I spoke with him last year. He said that there were other states with less freedoms than Louisiana, which is sadly true.

I would rather Louisiana do something about the "you can't carry a concealed weapon," law. OTF's are neato, but they suck at everything other than cutting paper.

As far as pocket knives go, nothing will ever beat an Emerson...

- - - Updated - - -

You could probably carry weed in your pocket all day, but it's still illegal.

jPFgD_-is5E.jpg

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Laws are laws, but as a police officer, I've never much cared if the knife I found on someone was a switchblade or not. I charged one person for a switchblade, but he was carrying it with a loaded firearm and brass knuckles while drinking in a bar and talking (unbeknownst) to an off-duty deputy about how "badass" he was, so I figured he must be tough enough to do as much time as we could afford him.

ARROWBEE

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Thibodaux
    Laws are laws, but as a police officer, I've never much cared if the knife I found on someone was a switchblade or not. I charged one person for a switchblade, but he was carrying it with a loaded firearm and brass knuckles while drinking in a bar and talking (unbeknownst) to an off-duty deputy about how "badass" he was, so I figured he must be tough enough to do as much time as we could afford him.

This is awesome. That has kind of been my take on it. I figured people who got in trouble with autos were probably also doing something else they weren't supposed to be doing and that just got tacked on.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany

This topic was brought up on another local gun forum. Most LE guys agreed with what you are saying. The ultimate point is that Autos, especially OTF's, are novelties.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Leadslinger, I think what may have changed was a state rep showing enough interest along with harassment by a few Louisiana folks over the course of the year. Maybe if we keep bugging them, they'll get to it!

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Leadslinger, I think what may have changed was a state rep showing enough interest along with harassment by a few Louisiana folks over the course of the year. Maybe if we keep bugging them, they'll get to it!

That's good to hear.

Update from knife rights, they're looking at working on La. next year, work here so far hasn't been easy apparently.

That's because LA law is written as everything banned with a few exceptions.

Top Bottom