AR build short stroke problem

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D_behrnes

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    Zachary
    Hey y’all I’m having an issue with one of my latest AR builds. My bcg continuously short strokes and I can’t seem to figure out why, maybe somebody on here can shed some light on the situation. I’ve tried using numerous brands of ammunition both .223 and 5.56 and nothing is functioning better than others. I’ve put this bcg in 5 of my other functioning rifles and it still short strokes. It’s so bad that It won’t even begin to eject the cartridge. Any ideas that could help me out here??

Attachments

• 29A007D0-6E7E-4405-BE1E-947094FB2329.jpg
      29A007D0-6E7E-4405-BE1E-947094FB2329.jpg
      266.5 KB · Views: 99

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Have you checked the gas key? It could be loose, causing gas to escape outside the carrier. Also it could be worth checking to make sure there are gas rings on the bolt. Sounds stupid but stuff happens.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Here's a few thoughts:
    1. The gas passage from the key through the carrier could be blocked.
    2. Missing or really messed up piston rings.
    3. Carrier is out of spec where the bolt slides in.
    4. Is the key properly installed, tight with no evidence of gas leakage around the joint to the carrier.
    5. You could try installing a known good bolt into the suspect carrier and see what effect it has.

Take the carrier group, pull the bolt all the way out. Gently set the carrier down vertically on the bolt. It should stay up, if not check the rings.

Here's a real "shot" in the dark. Clean the recess on the right side of the carrier with alcohol, then place a piece of masking tape to cover the two gas relief holes but stay within the recess so it won't interfere with the bolt movement. Load and fire one round. Is the tape still there? If you've got gas going through the carrier like it's supposed to, but leaking past the bolt, I'd expect the tape will be blown off.

Wish you were closer to Shreveport, I'd be happy to look at it for you.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    So that BCG causes problems in your other functioning rifles? sounds like it's a problem with the BCG, not the gas or buffer system. Check the extractor spring. I had a budget BCG that had a horribly weak spring, it caused no end of problems.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    So that BCG causes problems in your other functioning rifles? sounds like it's a problem with the BCG, not the gas or buffer system. Check the extractor spring. I had a budget BCG that had a horribly weak spring, it caused no end of problems.

Same here. I installed a MGI Dfender oring. It helped out alot. Extraction problems went away. Even with cheap steel in my 7.5" sbr. now all of my ARs have this product.

Last edited:

D_behrnes

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    Zachary
    Here's a few thoughts:
    1. The gas passage from the key through the carrier could be blocked.
    2. Missing or really messed up piston rings.
    3. Carrier is out of spec where the bolt slides in.
    4. Is the key properly installed, tight with no evidence of gas leakage around the joint to the carrier.
    5. You could try installing a known good bolt into the suspect carrier and see what effect it has.

Take the carrier group, pull the bolt all the way out. Gently set the carrier down vertically on the bolt. It should stay up, if not check the rings.

Here's a real "shot" in the dark. Clean the recess on the right side of the carrier with alcohol, then place a piece of masking tape to cover the two gas relief holes but stay within the recess so it won't interfere with the bolt movement. Load and fire one round. Is the tape still there? If you've got gas going through the carrier like it's supposed to, but leaking past the bolt, I'd expect the tape will be blown off.

Wish you were closer to Shreveport, I'd be happy to look at it for you.

Will definitely go through the checklist in the morning hopefully one of these will help me out. Thank you

Top Bottom