Property Tax

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    This is sort of a public service announcement for Louisiana residents...

Do you know that in the year you reach age 65 you can have your property tax "frozen"? That means that (under current law) your tax will not be increased due to future reassessment. My property was reassessed in 2016 (for the first time in many years), and if not for that rule my tax would have increased by about $1,400(!) If you turned 65 in 2017, check with the Assessor's office! I think this program was started in Livingston Parish and (as I understand it) is now available state-wide, and also available to disabled military personnel.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This is sort of a public service announcement for Louisiana residents...

Do you know that in the year you reach age 65 you can have your property tax "frozen"? That means that (under current law) your tax will not be increased due to future reassessment. My property was reassessed in 2016 (for the first time in many years), and if not for that rule my tax would have increased by about $1,400(!) If you turned 65 in 2017, check with the Assessor's office! I think this program was started in Livingston Parish and (as I understand it) is now available state-wide, and also available to disabled military personnel.

I think Vets have to be 100%

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Do both people on the deed have to be 65 or is it if anyone listed on the deed is over 65?

http://www.latax.state.la.us/Menu_FAQ/FAQ.aspx#faq7

What Are the Qualifications to Apply for the Special Assessment Level for 65 And Older?
    A Special Assessment applies to the homestead of person s who are 65 years of age and older if the adjusted gross household income is below a certain level. For the tax year 2016, that level will be $71,491. The level may change from year to year, so it is advisable to check with your assessor’s office to determine whether you qualify. This special assessment will freeze the assessed value of the homestead for as long as the applicant owns and resides in the home and income does not exceed the maximum allowed. This Special assessment level is lost if improvements in excess of 25% of the home’s value are added. Proof of age and income is required at the time the application is signed. The freeze extends to a surviving spouse who is at least 55 years of age, and meets all other qualifications.

Top Bottom