Ok so I am not a foot ball gut but winder about this Bayou Classic Game

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I always thought that Bowl Games were some sort of Playoff or National Championship game that was earned to be there. A real Contest.
    But have since i was a kid seen this Bayou Classic Game and there is no, real requirement of Grambling Univ. v Southern Univ. other than that are them
    {IE} could be the best or worse team but are there to battle it out.
    It never made any sense to me.
    So can someone explain what's so special that it must go on? Or is it common to have Games, that have no real out come. Not being a "Foot Ball Guy" it just seems like a soccer game for kids that does not count. Are there other games like is or is it the only one? What am I missing? If it is just a Exhibition game why not swap the teams up?
    I know when working down town and in the French Quarter owners / mangers of places i have talked with. Did not like it, as they stated to me that the & from it was not so great. Like other things that come to town. That the income is down compared to her events. {ie}Plenty sharing a rooms, just taking up space at tables to cool off or get off street, etc. So the amount of revenue that comes in for the outlay of labor is high, and damages is high. from what I have been told.
    That getting new teams in next year would be beneficial. Like keeping the winner, and having one new one play them? To get new influx of new spectators in.
    Again are there lots of other exhibition games that feature same teams every year, and i just do not know about them? Just that feature then same teams year in year out.

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I believe that it is just a game that is played every year. More of a rivalry game than a *bowl game*. Such as the *iron bowl* (bama vs Auburn) or the *battle of the boot* (lsu vs Arkansas). Just a name given to a game that is played regularly. Sometimes these games are played at neutral locations. They play for a trophy of some kind, but it doesn’t matter what the record of either team is, they play each other every year.

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    Just like stated earlier, most teams have a non championship named rivalry game. For MS State and Ole Miss its the Egg Bowl, or as mentioned earlier the Iron bowl or the Battle of the Boot. What's special about the Bayou Classic is that Grambling and Southern are "Historically Black Colleges", and this game dates back to 1930 something, a time when you either went to Grambling or Southern or you didn't go to college. I believe that's why the Bayou Classic has gotten to be as big as it is versus the other rivalry games that are just games with fun trophies.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Both of these colleges use the event as a massive recruiting tool. They need the tuition to survive, so for them it's a big deal. New Orleans gets a huge economic benefit out of it as well. Unfortunately, it also attracts some criminal activity. Whenever there are large crowds of otherwise distracted people, that happens.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Both of these colleges use the event as a massive recruiting tool. They need the tuition to survive, so for them it's a big deal. New Orleans gets a huge economic benefit out of it as well. Unfortunately, it also attracts some criminal activity. Whenever there are large crowds of otherwise distracted people, that happens.

"Some criminal activity." That's certainly an understatement. Bayou Classic was the worst. worse than Mardi Gras. And that's worse than jazz fest and essence fest. And a number of businesses didn't think the problems that seemed to only come during bayou Classic were worth it. They used to pick that weekend to close for renovations. A large number of the employees, especially those in tip based positions, don't care for the weekend.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    "Some criminal activity." That's certainly an understatement. Bayou Classic was the worst. worse than Mardi Gras. And that's worse than jazz fest and essence fest. And a number of businesses didn't think the problems that seemed to only come during bayou Classic were worth it. They used to pick that weekend to close for renovations. A large number of the employees, especially those in tip based positions, don't care for the weekend.

1st off that was why i had to ask. I did know that it took in that much Money, but 50 wow. I had my info from large shop owners, and bars.
    I did not want to mention names as some are the top known places, i used to do work for! We had lots of repairs and maintenance after the game.
    More than Mardi Gras. Was told that theft was up. But since it was lots of small items, it goes unreported. And most is never even seen, They just know it is gone. So no way to report it, they just take the loss. That and for the amount of persons that come in, that sales are off. Yes they take in $ but not what they normally would. That it is common that weekend, to buy cokes and pour their own booze in the cup. Things of that nature. And lots of crimes.
    And places like the Cat's Meow end up with a different demographic, then they normally have. Not a bad thing to mix things up but, "They have to bring in extra security"
    But still that is a crazy amount of $ they have for a weekend.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A friend of mine posted this today. He and I worked together on Bourbon Street together back in my bouncer days.

2C6nN3w.jpg

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    It's not a bowl game. It's a conference game played between the two teams mentioned. Usually it decides who goes to the SWAC championship from the East, as grambling and southern are usually at the top.

We all know New Orleans stays on the top of the list for murder rates. Overall crime rates, it's not on Forbes top 10 nor MSN's top 25 most dangerous cities. With that being said, what about the other 362 days of the year? Does all the crime happen during the bayou classic weekend? Of course not. Y'all are just looking for a reason to complain about the demographics of the bayou classic crowd.

But it being that you asked about a football(one word) game between two HBCUs in a forum where the demographics are probably 95%+ white males in the south, you probably don't really want to know what it is truly about. A simple google search will give you accurate history on the game, as opposed to wrongly blaming the game for the problem New Orleans has and has had for a long time.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    The problem with this particular event is the attendees (collectively), are notoriously ungenerous to service industry workers. There is also a serious uptick in walkouts from restaurants without paying. And as mentioned earlier, damages to hotel rooms, and property also increase. Any other crimes that come with it don't need a football game for stimulation.

From a socioeconomic perspective, this crowd (again, collectively), is not very affluent. No knock against anyone living on the lower rungs, but the impact has effects. For the most part New Orleans relies on tourism to carry it. Much of that tourist related income is within the food service business. The majority of restaurants in around the French Quarter and CBD are middle to fine dining. That means they can be and are expensive. If it cost two people $200 to eat out, that is not cheap. Aside from that, whether an unintended consequence or not, other conventions or events are usually and purposefully not scheduled in N.O. on the same weekend; and because of Thanksgiving. Locals would stay away from dining out down there too. It is the perfect storm for that weekend to be a flop for the restaurant industry. They aren't going to see the sights down there either! If I were black, I would be offended that so many businesses close on that weekend. But not at the businesses that close; at the POS in my culture that ruin it for the rest!

$50 million divided by 250,000 = $200 per person. No way am I believing any where near that many people come to that city for that game. I dispute the economic impact number as well! When LSU plays in the Sugar Bowl, the city doesn't realize that kind of money unless it's a very meaningful game against a school with affluent alums.

Last edited:

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    If a business closed because patrons don't tip, it proves there's an issue with the tipping system. If that were the reason, the only way a business can complain is because they have to come up with the difference between minimum wage and the 2 whatever an hour. That's the real reason business hates not tippers.

I guess when you get greedy and used to insane profit margins, smaller margins **** you off. With what a business profits, it's hard to believe one weeken is so detrimental to your bottom line that you have to close and not get any money at all.

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    400 officers...Guess you would make significantly more arrest than a typical weekend when you have significantly more officers

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    400 officers...Guess you would make significantly more arrest than a typical weekend when you have significantly more officers

There would be that many at Jazz Fest and Essence Fest. There would be plenty more than 400 during Mardi Gras. And still with fewer gun arrests than during Boyou Classic.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

NOPD Arrests 373, Takes 39 Guns off the Streets During Mardi Gras 2017

The NOPD made a total of 373 arrests citywide and confiscated 39 guns over the past 12 days of Mardi Gras.

During Mardi Gras 2017, 3.25 guns per day were found, on average. And for the 2 days of Bayou Classic?

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    It's not a bowl game. It's a conference game played between the two teams mentioned. Usually it decides who goes to the SWAC championship from the East, as grambling and southern are usually at the top.

We all know New Orleans stays on the top of the list for murder rates. Overall crime rates, it's not on Forbes top 10 nor MSN's top 25 most dangerous cities. With that being said, what about the other 362 days of the year? Does all the crime happen during the bayou classic weekend? Of course not. Y'all are just looking for a reason to complain about the demographics of the bayou classic crowd.

But it being that you asked about a football(one word) game between two HBCUs in a forum where the demographics are probably 95%+ white males in the south, you probably don't really want to know what it is truly about. A simple google search will give you accurate history on the game, as opposed to wrongly blaming the game for the problem New Orleans has and has had for a long time.

Yeah, all these people here just want to complain about black people. Give me a damn break. They are complaining about criminality and damages in general. If the KKK came to town and caused increased crime and damage once a year, you think everyone here would say *jeez it sure was swell having that group of gentlemen here, we should have them over more often!*? Because we are all just white southern racists, right?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Does all the crime happen during that one weekend? Of course not. Nobody suggested it did. Is that weekend crime free? Nope, not even close. People are commenting on the bayou classic crowd, myself included, not because we don't like black people but because we have seen first hand the difference between the behavior of this crowd and crowds from other events.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If a business closed because patrons don't tip, it proves there's an issue with the tipping system. If that were the reason, the only way a business can complain is because they have to come up with the difference between minimum wage and the 2 whatever an hour. That's the real reason business hates not tippers.

I guess when you get greedy and used to insane profit margins, smaller margins **** you off. With what a business profits, it's hard to believe one weeken is so detrimental to your bottom line that you have to close and not get any money at all.

Bernie Sanders? Is that you?

Seriously, this sentence alone invalidates your entire argument. You obviously have never worked in a tipped position and don't have a clue what you're talking about.
    If a business closed because patrons don't tip, it proves there's an issue with the tipping system.

Top Bottom