Seeking help with my first private gun sale process

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riroku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey there, I'm currently looking to sell a glock 19 I purchased this year to a friend of a friend of mine who is currently looking into purchasing a glock. However, I've never sold a gun before so I was searching google and stumble on a reddit section that linked me to this forum. I live in Baton Rouge so I figure this would be the perfect forum to ask. How do I go about with a private sale for selling my gun? Is there any transfers or bill of sales required to sell my firearm? Any help would be gladly appreciated. I still have the receipt of the gun as well from when I purchased it, do I do anything with that

I read through the compilation thread but couldn't seem to find anything regarding this in here https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?64060.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    As long as you don't knowingly sell to someone who can't have a firearm and both parties legally reside in Louisiana, you just exchange cash for firearm.

riroku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    -bill of sale
    -LA driver's license
    -exchange cash

That's it in Louisiana.

Do you have to get the bill of sale notarized? Also they do have an LA driver's license, what do I do with that? Do I record the driver license number. I apologize for the questions

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    No, don't need it notarized. LA driver's license is just to prove that they're a Louisiana resident. Just for each other's protection.

Do you have to get the bill of sale notarized? Also they do have an LA driver's license, what do I do with that? Do I record the driver license number. I apologize for the questions

riroku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No, don't need it notarized. LA driver's license is just to prove that they're a Louisiana resident. Just for each other's protection.

Ah, well thank you for all your help! I didn't realize there wasn't a big process to it. I was searching online for answers everywhere until I found a reddit sub that pointed me towards bayoushooter being that I'm from Baton Rouge. I thought there was a big process regarding serial number of the gun or something being link to a person that needed proper transfer

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    -bill of sale
    -LA driver's license
    -exchange cash

That's it in Louisiana.

He asked if a BOS was required. While you might like getting a BOS and checking the persons LA driver's license that is not required.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as you don't knowingly sell to someone who can't have a firearm and both parties legally reside in Louisiana, you just exchange cash for firearm.

Correct.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Whether I am a buyer or seller I ask for a bill of sale reflecting both LA DL numbers. If the party is unwilling I'll pass on the exchange. From my perspective it keeps things nice and clean. All the folks I have dealt with on Bayou Shooter also show their CC license when buying a pistol. Still only capture the LA Driver's License in the BOS. In the event something unforeseen occurs it shows that you sold the gun to a person that you believe could legally take possession of the weapon. The only thing required by law is that 'you do not knowingly sell a weapon to a prohibited person'. The BOS essentially is the evidence. Good luck.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I sold a pistol to my then (and still) ex-wife. The sale took place at a gun shop. I basically turned the pistil over to the gunshop and she paid the transfer fee and filled out the paperwork and got a background check. But that was a big CYA on my part.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I sold a pistol to my then (and still) ex-wife. The sale took place at a gun shop. I basically turned the pistil over to the gunshop and she paid the transfer fee and filled out the paperwork and got a background check. But that was a big CYA on my part.

I can understand the CYA LOL
    Wingate

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    ... The only thing required by law is that 'you do not knowingly sell a weapon to a prohibited person'...

This statement as written is not correct. While I think the poster likely understands the law, it is not stated correctly in this statement. An individual can not legally sell a firearm to a resident of a different state, regardless of whether or not it was knowingly done. If a Louisiana resident sells a firearm to a Mississippi resident, it is a federal felony, even if the seller was unaware of the buyer's residency.

An individual may not knowingly sell a firearm to a prohibited person, and there is no burden on the seller to investigate the buyer's status in this regard. If you sell to a neighbor and were unaware that he was a convicted felon, you have not committed a crime. BUT, if you sell to a coworker who is legally a Mississippi resident, you have committed a felony regardless of whether or not you knew he was a Mississippi resident.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Jesus , how many ways do you dissect this ? Check his ID . Get a BOS if you both agree , and promise NEVER to ask a question like this again . :D

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you are selling to a friend, you don't even have to do the bill of sale (BOS). I would recommend taking a picture of the firearm with the serial number in view before you sell it. It's always good for you records to keep that.

On the bill of sale, if you do one, just get both parties LA DL #s on it, the serial number of the gun, the date, and two signatures. I also take a picture of that and keep a digital copy.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

I’d rather just dump my guns off at cabela's gun library and not have some stranger taking pictures of my DL on the side of the road. *I’ve never had a problem doing a BOS or showing a DL but all the taking pictures with cell phones is creepy lol.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I’d rather just dump my guns off at cabela's gun library and not have some stranger taking pictures of my DL on the side of the road. *I’ve never had a problem doing a BOS or showing a DL but all the taking pictures with cell phones is creepy lol.

LOL. I don't let people take a picture of my ID, but they can write the DL# down.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom