Remington 722 issue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    Today I was in a local gun shop that just opened. The owner is a nice gentleman with a love of guns but who, like myself, does not profess to be even a shade-tree gunsmith.

He had a beautiful Remington 722 chambered in 257 Roberts. The gun was in excellent condition and was topped with a vintage 2x7 Redfield widefield. I checked the bore it was clean. Lands/grooves all distinct and the muzzle showed no wear or erosion as we usually see in the South from guns riding muzzle down in the floorboard Now for the problem which he pointed out to me: you can insert a cartridge into the chamber or cycle one in from the mag, BUT the bolt will not close on it. When you take the cartridge out, the brass show a crimp mark on the neck of the case....the case is actually deformed if you exert too much pressure on it. Without the cartridge, everything locks up, cocks and fires.

This gun was obviously someone's pet. There is a well-fitted, wide trigger shoe installed and the wood is either not original or is a higher grade....too much grain when compared my other 722 which I know to be all factory. He is asking $400 for the gun as is. I would value your input on suggesting what the problem may be and how complicated (translate how much money) to remedy it. My 722 in 300 Savage is one the the best shooting rifles I own, and i would love to add this one to the mix.

Thanks for your time in reading and responding.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    Possibly rechambered?, I would have a competent gunsmith cast the chamber.
    Or someone hand loaded and had an over pressure round that caused the neck brass split from the case and it is still in the chamber.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    103m is partially correct either a broken off case neck in the chamber or its been re chambered, or the barrel set back and the proper chamber not cut.

Not worth 400 anyway, If you buy it your buying it for the action, and, its a known issue that the extractors on these guns do give out and they are not available from anywhere except when some old gunsmith puts some NOS on ebay. THe solution is to send the bolt off to Gre Tan with $150 for a sako or m16 extractor.

So for that gun, as is, I would give no more than $200 which is valuing the action only less the $150 it would cost to remedy the extractor. The barrels and stocks have no value, I have several take offs I have not been able to sell, Considering that you can get a new 700 action for $400, that's my limit

Top Bottom