New to CCW/ arrested over 20 yrs ago for misdemeanor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lancepro70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2017
    new iberia la.
    Im going take a CCW class soon. Over 20yrs ago I had a couple of misdemeanor arrest. The question is when I go to apply for the permit, Do I have to bring all that paper work as well? Do I even have to tell them that? I don't wont to be delayed on getting the permit

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    LIST ALL ARREST AND THE DEPOSITIONs!!!!! If it was probation,pti, plead down, plead guilty, paid fine ect, if you do not list them they will reject it and keep you from trying to reapply for like a year I think... In that case you would have to pay and take your class again then list everything

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Funny how it works!!!! They already know everything... They just want you to tell them, trust me they do know everything, lol, even if you were in other states.. I remember my dad now would be 67, he got arrested for a fight when he was 17, joined the service and got out of the charge.. applied and didn't list it, they rejected it and back then they just kinda dismissed it, which was great then, not so great now, there was no records of final minute of court or deposition. he had to hire an attorney to bring it up in front of a judge to get the deposition implemented on a charge that was 40 years old so he could get one lol... Funny thing is the judge just chuckled at how silly the whole situation was and was no issue but cost my pops a $350 in attorney fees and court

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    g) Criminal Offense, Arrests, Detentions and Litigation - Criminal Offense: an act punishable by law. If you have ever been
    arrested, charged, detained, indicted, or summoned for any criminal offense or violation, EVEN THOSE CHARGES WHICH YOU
    BELIEVE TO HAVE BEEN DROPPED, DISMISSED, NOLLE PROS, EXPUNGED, etc.., you must answer *YES* to the arrest questions
    (Question #7) and submit certified true copies of the final court disposition of the case with your application. You must list
    all violations of law or municipal ordinances, except those such as traffic violations (speeding, red light, expired license,
    etc.). Failure to answer this question correctly will result in the denial of your application.
     FAILURE TO LIST ALL ARRESTS, DETENTIONS, AND LITIGATION MAY RESULT IN DELAY
    OR DENIAL OF THE PERMIT, AND OTHER CRIMINAL PENALTIES AS ALLOWED BY LAW.
    NOTE: The issuance of a Citation or Summons is an arrest and must be listed.
     You must still list violations that were EXPUNGED, DISMISSED, or SET ASIDE through either Article
    893, Article 894, R.S. 40:983, or for which you were PARDONED and you must provide certified
    documentation of each arrest with your application.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I stated this in the other thread, but I will say it again. I was arrested for criminal mischief (juvenile) over 45 years ago. It was Article 894'd after a one year probation. I didn't remember much about it, only that it happened. I went to LSP HQ and paid, I think, $10, for my "rap sheet". There is was, with all the pertinent information. I went to the Clerk of Court and paid, I think, $15 for a true copy of the court minutes and disposition. I included them with my application and no issues. I would have hated to get denied over something as silly as breaking a window, when it only cost me about $25 to get it resolved. As someone above said, "They know everything". Don't take any chances, it is cheap enough to find out.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    ANd if there is nothing for the record of what happened after the arrest (thrown out before court), the da can write a letter saying that.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    ANd if there is nothing for the record of what happened after the arrest (thrown out before court), the da can write a letter saying that.

Can they write you something saying there is no record?

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    Im going take a CCW class soon. Over 20yrs ago I had a couple of misdemeanor arrest. The question is when I go to apply for the permit, Do I have to bring all that paper work as well? Do I even have to tell them that? I don't wont to be delayed on getting the permit
    List all arrests when filling out the application. Then before submitting go to the court where you were arraigned and ask the clerk for a copy of your dispositions, and or court minutes for all your arrests; they costed me $10.00. Without a copy of the dispositions or a copy of the minutes you will be denied.

I scanned everything and sent it in electronically and it took me about 60 days to get the permit.

Fwiw: dont try to list your dispositions. They want the supporting documents.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cheneyville59

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Misdemeanor arrest

If you were convicted of,or pled guilty to, a misdemeanor involving domestic violence you are no longer allowed to possess any firearm or ammunition.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    If you were convicted of,or pled guilty to, a misdemeanor involving domestic violence you are no longer allowed to possess any firearm or ammunition.

Just move out of La. if that is an issue.

Texas law does not:

• Require the surrender of firearms or ammunition by domestic abusers who have become prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition under federal or state law; or

• Explicitly authorize or require the removal of firearms or ammunition at the scene of a domestic violence incident.

Nate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Hammond, LA
    Old records may not be readily available at the courthouse. Not all the clerks know where to look for old records, but the most senior clerks will.

It is very important to get this right for your first application. I have been told they are not so concerned on renewals for arrests w/o convictions that were prior to your first application provided they were declared on the first application.

When you get that documentation keep an electronic copy. The electronic application for renewals is pretty quick, and attaching an electronic copy is so easy

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    If you had an arrest that was handled before court, yes, The da can write stating that. Your record will show an arrest and you have to have something showing the official outcome of that arrest. Going to the courthouse will do no good in such a case.

silvestris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2015
    Vidalia, LA
    If you have any question, apply for a rap sheet from the LSP. Anything that would concern them would be listed on the rap sheet. Then you need certified court minutes from the Clerk of Court of anything listed.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom