Large Cat spotted in MS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlewi34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    We set up a new trail camera this weekend and this was the first picture we got with it. It is super blurry but it is definitely a large cat with a long tail. I am going to try to adjust the camera a little this weekend to see if I can get any better pictures. I thought I heard mountain lion screams when I was out there Saturday night but thought I must have been hearing things. This definitely makes me a believer.

IMG_0064-1.JPG

https://imgur.com/a/6BDA7

Last edited:

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    Hard to tell but that picture. Could be a coyote.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Cougars have been legitimately spotted in NE LA.

Also, black panthers are normally spotted in the South (if your college football team is part of the SEC, you're in black panther territory). I don't think that's what's in your picture, but it's possible. Cougar would be my guess.

...or maybe just a dog.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    cats

We have had other sightings in Ms of large cats. Louisianasportsman has had one or two I think

Regarding cat sounds, You would be surprised to know, barred owls sound a lot like what you imagine a big cat sounds like..

One time while working my first career job in 01 ish I was on one of my first call outs on standby for the phone company. Northern Indiana, (dont judge) It is where work took me ..
    I arrive around 11 pm, cold , dead winter.. snow on the ground in RURAL , Northern Indiana.. near a town called 12 mile.. due to it being 12 miles from nothing.. there I arrive to the central office to do my work.. upon leaving and having a sense of success.. I walk back into the COLD, WINDY night.. only to hear a roar.. yes.. a roar.. like Lion.. now.. I know sounds.. I recognized it from my days at the circus and tv shows about Africa..

It seems, there is a circus company that houses some exotics way out in the country in the off season and when the cats heard me they were wound up.. evidently it was common place for road kill to be delivered early in the mornings from someone and they were wound up expecting it.. lol

- - - Updated - - -

We have had other sightings in Ms of large cats. Louisianasportsman has had one or two I think

Regarding cat sounds, You would be surprised to know, barred owls sound a lot like what you imagine a big cat sounds like..

One time while working my first career job in 01 ish I was on one of my first call outs on standby for the phone company. Northern Indiana, (dont judge) It is where work took me ..
    I arrive around 11 pm, cold , dead winter.. snow on the ground in RURAL , Northern Indiana.. near a town called 12 mile.. due to it being 12 miles from nothing.. there I arrive to the central office to do my work.. upon leaving and having a sense of success.. I walk back into the COLD, WINDY night.. only to hear a roar.. yes.. a roar.. like Lion.. now.. I know sounds.. I recognized it from my days at the circus and tv shows about Africa..

It seems, there is a circus company that houses some exotics way out in the country in the off season and when the cats heard me they were wound up.. evidently it was common place for road kill to be delivered early in the mornings from someone and they were wound up expecting it.. lol

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Back in the early 90's there was one that lived around the Ethel/ Jackson area. I had an encounter with, as did several other people. 2 weeks after my encounter, (and the loss of the 4 squirrels that I killed that morning) the big cat was killed while trying to gain access to my Uncles home. It was 185# and hungry, he turned the kill in with the La DWF and it was seen as an "Aggressive Animal Self Defense" no harm no foul. My uncle was mad because they wouldn't let him keep it to mount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Note to self: "Do not buy a Bushnell trail camera! They are garbage!"

Now, as far as your cougar theory goes; there are most assuredly cougars that make it down here. In fact, if you do a search for Cougar killed by Louisiana Wildlife & Fisheries, you will see the one that came all the way near Baton Rouge. It is in the LDW&F building on Quail Drive (stuffed).

jlewi34

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    This is one of the 3g cameras that sends the pictures that it takes. It downgrades them to send them to the app and you have to go to the camera to get the full resolution pics. I will try to grab the full resolution this weekend to see if it is any better. It generally does a pretty good job especially when the land is an hour and a half away.

bowhtr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    US
    This is one of the 3g cameras that sends the pictures that it takes. It downgrades them to send them to the app and you have to go to the camera to get the full resolution pics. I will try to grab the full resolution this weekend to see if it is any better. It generally does a pretty good job especially when the land is an hour and a half away.
    Another reason to not use Bushnell. I can request high resolution pictures of any pic sent to me. I get them in a couple of minutes. My card is set to overwrite and I never have to go to my cam but once every 3 to 4 months to swap batteries. My newest one I got today will even send video's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Three or four years ago I watched a big puddy tat through my thermal sight over at our house in East Texas (across from Oil City and Vivian Louisiana). His (her?) shoulder was about halfway up the six foot high chain link fence around the garden. Unfortunately, I had no way to save or download the video, but I could see a very prominent tail. Maybe that's why the neighbors cattle were having a conniption?

Top Bottom