New orleans municpal code Sec 54-350

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    had nothing better to do so I decided to look through the NO municipal code. Sec 54-350 looks like deFacto gun registration with the police. So, do all FFL and private firearm sales have to be sent to the NO police superintendant? Someone out there set me straight.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Is this what you're talking about?

Sec. 54-348. - Procedure for sale of firearm or destructive devices.

(a) No dealer shall sell any firearm or destructive device until the federal firearms transaction record shall have been executed in duplicate by the prospective purchaser. For handgun or destructive device sales, upon execution in duplicate of the federal firearms transaction record by the prospective purchaser and presentation of valid photographic identification, the dealer shall contact by telephone the superintendent of police or his designated agent. The dealer shall supply the above authority with the necessary information for such authority to make a computer check, nationally, of such purchaser's criminal record or fugitive status, if any. In the absence of information that such purchaser does not meet the requirements of section 54-347, the above authority will furnish the dealer with an authorization number, unique for each transfer or sale; the dealer shall note such authorization number in his records and on the federal firearms transfer record, and may, not less than seven days after contacting the superintendent of police or his designated agent as required herein, deliver such handgun or destructive device to the purchaser or transferee.

(b) For rifles or shotguns, the dealer may deliver such rifle or shotgun to the purchaser after completion of federal firearms transfer record in duplicate and presentation of valid photographic identification. Within 24 hours of the delivery of any firearm or destructive device by dealer to purchaser, the dealer shall forward to the superintendent of police or his agent one copy of the federal firearms transfer record, noted with authorization number for guns.

(c) The dealer shall keep a permanent daily record of all firearm transactions regulated by this division which records shall be subject to the inspection of the superintendent of police or his agent. (d) Anyone who possesses a federal firearm permit to buy and/or sell firearms shall obtain a current occupational license from the bureau of revenue, department of finance. All monies derived from the sale of firearms shall be reported to the bureau of revenue.
    (Code 1956, § 42-64.1)

met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    Sec. 54-350. - Information required for sale of firearms or destructive devices.

    

(a)

Within 24 hours of the sale of any firearm, the seller shall supply the superintendent of police with the following information:

(1)

Applicant's name, address, occupation, place and date of birth, height, weight, race, any visible marks and the signature of the applicant;

(2)

Acknowledgment by the applicant that he:

a.

Has never been convicted of a crime of violence in the state, or any other state, territory, or the District of Columbia or in the United States;

b.

Is not under indictment for or charged by information with any crime of violence;

c.

Is not a fugitive from justice;

d.

Is not an unlawful user of or addicted to narcotics, or dangerous drugs;

e.

Is at least 18 years of age;

(3)

The date the completed form was delivered to the prospective seller by the prospective purchaser;

(4)

A description of the firearm including the type of firearm, make, model and serial numbers, and letters and caliber or gauge;

(5)

If the dealer shall furnish the superintendent of police or his agent with a copy of the federal firearm transaction record within 24 hours this shall satisfy the preceding information requirements as listed in subsections (1) through (4) of this subsection;

(6)

Anyone who possesses a federal firearm permit to buy and/or sell firearms shall obtain a current occupational license from the bureau of revenue, department of finance.

(b)

Every organization applying for a registration certificate or firearm permit shall also comply with the provisions of this section. Every organization shall provide such other information as the chief determines is necessary to carry out the provisions of this division.

(Code 1956, § 42-65)

welco425

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I grew up in New Orleans. 50 years ago when I was,16 I saved up enough money to buy a Ruger Single Six 22. My father and I went to New Orleans Arms to buy it. It would be in my father's name. We had to pay for it and then take paper work to City Hall for a background check. Three days later we got paperwork in the mail so we pickup the Ruger.

We had no idea that all we to do was to go to a different parish and to avoid the delay. This may also explain why there were only one or two gun shops in New Orleans.

LT USN (Ret.)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Covington, LA
    Wonder what year that was done?

[FONT=&amp]CODE OF THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]____________
    Published in 1995 by Order of the City Council

Lots of mods, adds & deletes but 54-350 appears to be from the original document.

[/FONT]

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    had nothing better to do so I decided to look through the NO municipal code. Sec 54-350 looks like deFacto gun registration with the police. So, do all FFL and private firearm sales have to be sent to the NO police superintendant? Someone out there set me straight.

I worked for NOPD doing anything from patrol to proactive task force (jump out boys if you're from NO) to detective work. I can honestly say I do not remember ever hearing of that ordinance being enforced.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This could put a damper on gun sales if FFL's have to notify in NO parish. Just go to Jefferson and buy

It's not a new ordinance and I can't recall any proper gun stores in New Orleans. They are all in the surrounding areas.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There are no gun stores or FFL holders in Orleans parish doing business?

The first part of your question was answered in the post you read before asking the question. With respect to the second part, if an individual is doing business out of their home with an FFL, they are using word of mouth or not doing a good job of advertising. Feel free to do a search for gun shops in new orleans. The results will mostly be from the surrounding areas. There are a few training classes in new orleans but no real gun shop.

Bayou Boys

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Abita Springs La.
    I bought a three pistol set the dealer told me if I take all at once he has to report it or pick one up per week

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    This is a good question. There's also a waiting period for handguns in there, restrictions on the sale of ammunition, etc.

If this was enacted after 1985, state law preempts N.O. local gov't from enforcing exactly these type of laws.

onebadrc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2015
    West Monroe, LA
    Ordinance number?
    I don't know about a parish ordinance but this is covered by the GCA of 1968. See 27 CFR 478.126a , and 18 U.S.C. 923 (g)(3)(B) . The form number is ATF form 3310.4. I have had a couple filled out on me and both times was warned beforehand that the form would be filled out and ATF and local LEO would get copies in case I wanted to spread them out.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I am familiar with that form. And that's the first thing that came to mind when I read the comments earlier. I got around it by buying at two different locations of a big box store on the same day. Only the 4473 was completed for me at each location.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom