Feral Hog Hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Yes, it's a bit much to call all this in 24 hours in advance to shoot hogs at night during hunting season. That requirement has stopped me from taking hogs at night a few times because I didn't have 24 hours notice (just felt like taking out a few hogs after work). My guess is that it's to help stop DWF from sending agents to areas where hogs are being slayed because neighbors are hearing gunshots and think deer are being hunted at night. Your neighbor hears your gunfire at midnight, calls it in, the officers check the database and see a hog permit has been called in for that area. No need to sent field agents into that area if it's just hogs being taken. But that's just my uneducated guess as to why all the fuss about obtaining a PM permit to take hogs during hunt season.

I'd like to see them do away with the 24-hour advance notice requirement.

I had read that wrong, the line is a 24hr line to notify them. So call any time and notify, get your confirmation number and start shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lock-n-load

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Alexandria, LA
    I had no idea that you had to get a permit to hunt hogs at night during deer season. Glad I read this thread as I was planning on thinning out the population very soon on our lease. Thx.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I had no idea that you had to get a permit to hunt hogs at night during deer season. Glad I read this thread as I was planning on thinning out the population very soon on our lease. Thx.

Yep, like has already been said it is usually a neighbor that assumes you are shining deer and calls you in. At least the WLF has made it reasonable now. Before, no night hunting at all during deer season and even during off season you had to notify the local sheriff with date and time of your hunt. More often than not that meant a visit from a deputy which of course busted your hunt all to hell. Mostly just curiosity on their part but frustrating nonetheless. Still better than going to jail, being fined, or having your license revoked for life or some such thing. A lot of people fought hard for the new regulations and reporting system. It isn't perfect but it sure is better than it was by far.

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    WOW, so I don't have to give 24-hour notice? That's a big deal. I read the regulation wrong as well... or perhaps it changed from last year and I didn't notice. Very nice to know I can go slaughter a few after work if I'm in the mood (after calling it in).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom