Feral Hog Hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Has anyone received the permit to hunt hogs at night during hunting season on there own property?
    Just wondering how long it took, also did WF do an interview with you on the property

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Call LAWLF. You fill out a form and are assigned a number. Before your hunt you call the special toll free number, also on the form. Allows you or your assigns to hunt on your own property (they look at the tax roles to verify you are the legal owner) outlaw quadrupeds at night even during deer season.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Joe let me know if you need backup when you're ready to lay down the bacon.. Have suppressed rifles will travel lol

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Can I bring this?
    DSC_1452.jpg

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I got mine right after the reg was approved. The hardest part was just coming up with the form. One thing I have discovered is that you can't depend on the local agents to know anything about it. They generally don't. Be prepared to explain and also a good idea to have your paperwork complete with a copy of the application. Ask me how I know...

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Have you taken a buddy with you? I understand if you dont answer. Im reading the regs again and it looks like you can

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I just received a call from Wild Life and Fish, APPROVED! less than 24 hours. The hard copy is going in the mail today and I should receive a email shortly that I can print out and go to work.

Also the permit holder can bring as many guest as they want.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I just received a call from Wild Life and Fish, APPROVED! less than 24 hours. The hard copy is going in the mail today and I should receive a email shortly that I can print out and go to work.

Also the permit holder can bring as many guest as they want.

jcomar1

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Have suppressors will travel :)
    I don't have any NV yet though. Never had a reason to get one.... until now lol

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Sure seems like a lot of hoops they make you jump through to help them take out some feral hogs, after dark. :squint:

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Ive got a few toys myself, pvs-14, recently got a thermal scope and a few cans.

NV will help but all the basic rules that apply during the day are the same at night. Careful they don't wind you going in. Wind is shiftier at night as the temp changes making that harder. The suppressor makes it way more comfortable to shoot since you can pretty much loose the ear pro, but if you think it will help you get more shots off don't count on it. At least where we are they are way too cagey to be easy prey night or day. Once that first one drops they bolt everywhere. We have found it better to find the main trails and setup at both ends. Then just bounce them back and forth as they bolt from one end to the other. Radios are useful.

Course... downside is that blood trailing sucks in the dark. ;)

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Yes, it's a bit much to call all this in 24 hours in advance to shoot hogs at night during hunting season. That requirement has stopped me from taking hogs at night a few times because I didn't have 24 hours notice (just felt like taking out a few hogs after work). My guess is that it's to help stop DWF from sending agents to areas where hogs are being slayed because neighbors are hearing gunshots and think deer are being hunted at night. Your neighbor hears your gunfire at midnight, calls it in, the officers check the database and see a hog permit has been called in for that area. No need to sent field agents into that area if it's just hogs being taken. But that's just my uneducated guess as to why all the fuss about obtaining a PM permit to take hogs during hunt season.

I'd like to see them do away with the 24-hour advance notice requirement.

Top Bottom