Scam Alert...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    I got a call today from someone identifying himself as "Lt. O'Neil of the Ascension Parish Sheriff's office." The scammer called from a 225 number, (225 259 0105) but it was spoofed, as I had to dial "1 225" to return the call. He said that I had blown off jury duty and there was a warrant for my arrest. I was pretty shocked. I told him I received no notice and he replied implying that that's what they all say. He told me I would be jailed until the next court date of January 9th. He then told me that I needed to get two thousand in cash and go to Family Dollar store and buy four $500.00 "Green Dot Money Paks" for bond. This had gone way past believable at this point so I told him I would comply and call him back. My call to the "real" Ascension Parish Sheriff's office conformed that it was a scam. He told me they had several of these attempts. The guy had me going for a minute, before he started making stupid demands.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I got a similar call a few weeks ago for my Dad. When I said he wasn't here they demanded to know where to call him. So I gave them the number to the Northwest Louisiana Veterans Cemetery.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Scumbags like that need to have the tables turned on them and be arrested when they pick up their loot.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I'm surprised this is still a thing going around. It was a little bit different, but I had a very similar thing happen to me 2 or 3 years ago. Difference was it was Jefferson Parish and they didn't ask for Family Dollar Money Paks, they asked for regular US Money Orders. Other than that, same scam. Crazy.

Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Scumbags like that need to have the tables turned on them and be arrested when they pick up their loot.

They're almost impossible to track. Once you call them back they want the numbers off the money card you buy and the go in and take the money that way so there's no in person deal.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Scam: Calls (NOT) from "BR Police Supply", Other Scammers

I received a call from a telemarketer whose caller ID showed up as *BR POLICESUPPL 225-924-4740*. I assumed it was BR Police Supply. I wasn't expecting a call from them, but I had been to their store before. When I answered I immediately knew it was a trick. I challenged them they hung up. I called the 924-4740 number (in the CPID) immediately afterward and got a fax tone. It took me a minute to look up the actual number (225-924-4948) and by then it was after their closing time. I sent them an email about it.

Lately we have been called by marketers posing as entities with whom we actually regularly have business. It seems like they are figuring out the names and numbers of businesses and individuals that are known to us and using that caller ID information. It's WAY too specific. For example, a certain branch of the YMCA, a hospital department, an alarm company. What is unnerving about this is they are using names and numbers that we recognize. How is that happening? Is someone surveilling my communication or capturing our activity? This is in addition to numerous other "caller ID spoofs" that we also routinely receive. Always when we challenge them, they hang up.

I contacted some of the businesses whose numbers were hijacked but there is apparently nothing that can be done by them since the deception does not originate with them.

Keeping the powder dry and the skills in practice for the meantime.

Top Bottom