Cat5 help needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Ill go ahead and apoligize for the long post. Recently purcahsed a new house which has cat5 ran through to each bedroom and livingroom. The cables all go back to the laundry room where they tie into a patch panel. I assumed i could hook up my modem and router and just plug the router into the patch panel and it would send the interwebs to all my jacks. That didnt work so after looking online everyone seems to use a switch and then plug that into the patch panel. So i got one of those. Hooked modem up connected router to modem then connected switch to router. Shows i have connectivity going into the switch. Hook switch to the patch and nothing. Am i doing something wrong here? I even tried bypassing the router and going strait to the switch and then patch also tried strait from modem to patch and nothing. My next step is to disconnect wires from patch and put ends on them and just hook them strait to the switch.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Order should be modem-router-switch-patch panel, with a patch cable from each port of switch to each port on patch panel.

If that doesn’t work, I would make sure they are all terminated properly at the patch panel, and the color order matches the wall plates in the room. If they are punched down differently (568a vs 568b) they won’t work.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    It should be a one to one connection. Meaning one jack in a room should be landed into one the ports on the block. Then a patch cable to your switch.

Should be something like - pc in bedroom>patch cable to wall>out to corresponding number on patch panned> patch cable to switch> patch cable to modem.

All pending it was terminated correctly.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The cable should go from the router into the switch and each of the other ports on the switch should be connected to a separate port in the panel.

aORfL.png

The switch allows 8 things to talk to each other with the router being one of them.
    The panel doesn't really "do" anything. It can be eliminated. In my opinion, the value of a panel is to eliminate the wear and tear on the wires that are not easily installed.

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    All offending Caps removed as per "theperez1972"

A pm would have sufficed

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    1. CONNECT MODEM (MOST HOVE ROUTER BUILT IN TODAY), CONFIRM MODEM IS WORKING BY CONNECTING DIRECTLY WITH CABLE TO LAP TOP
    2. CONNECT MODEM (or seperate router) TO SWITCH, understand there is a specific port usually 1
    3. CONNECT LAPTOP TO SWITCH AND CONFIRM INTERNET , I WOULD CHECK SEVERAL PORTS
    4. CONNECT A CABLE FROM PORT3 ON SWITCH TO A PORT ON YOUR PATCH PANEL , RUN AROUND THE HOUSE WITH YOUR LAPTOP AND SEE WHICH WORKS
    5. CONNECT A CABLE FROM PORT 4 ON SWITCH TO ANOTHER PORT ON PATCH PANEL AND REPEAT , YOU WILL NEED A TOTAL OF ABOUT 15 CAT 5 CABLES TO COMPLETE THIS JOB

I'm sure I'm not alone in requesting people refrain from posting in all caps unless it is to emphasize a selected segment of a post. It is roughly equivalent to shouting on the internet. Obviously I cannot force you to use normal punctuation and capitalization for better reading. But if you are going to use your time to help others, I would hope you would actually like the content of your posts, rather than the capitalization, be the focus of the reader. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Thanks for the quick replies fellas. That clears things up. I thought one line into the patch would send connect all ports on the patch. I ordered a crimping tool, ends, and a test kit. I will be eliminating the patch and just plug in the ports i need to the switch. Its an 8 port also i have 3 free ports on the router so i could hook up a total of 10 of the 12 jacks i have in the house. That will be more than sufficient for my needs.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I personally like having the patch panel in my closet as it makes it look neater and I can then make length specific cables to go to the switch and from there to the router. plus once they are in and working correctly it is one less point of failure I have to worry about on my network. Everything in my house that can be hardwired is and only phones and tablets are wireless it makes the devices faster with less worries about interference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom