Looking for opinions on Surveillance systems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5erbye

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don't think you'll find a system for that price that you'll ultimately be happy with. Do you want true high definition, aka 1080p aka 1920x1080? Will your NVR have the bandwidth to simultaneously record eight high-def cameras? A decent high-def camera will start at about $200 each. I have a two dome camera 1080P and two terabyte NVR system, expandable to four cameras. I can also view my cameras from my phone or laptop anywhere there's wifi. I paid about $750. I already had the monitor. I ran the cat5 cable for the cameras myself.

HiPowerMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    New Orleans
    Looking for an 8 camera Surveillance system for my home. Needs to have a hard drive. Any opinions on which system to get or where to look? Hope to stay around $250-300. Been looking on amazon but still undecided.
    Thanks for any help! Merry Christmas!!

"Interface" is very good 866 543 1246

Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You won't get an 8 camera system for $300. An 8 camera setup will typically start around $1k and the hard drive is going to add another $150min for a complete system ready to roll.

The ones from Sams & Costco are ok, but they aren't the latest tech. The HIK Vision cameras and systems are available on Amazon and are much better than any of those in the big-box stores.

FLIR is another that is really good to look into, but you need to spend some time on YouTube and look at all of these systems and their costs. Dahua is another giant, but do not sell in the states with their high end stuff much. They supply all the cameras to Lorex, Swan, NightOwl etc...and it's all their older technology.

YouTube is your best resource!

boogiecjp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    Slidell, LA
    Hey blackboltss,
    check out the Samsung at Sam's. They have a Sumsung system that has 8 HD 1080p camera system with a 2 terabyte hard drive that will meet your budget. I was looking at them but just have not had the time to go pick it up.
    Thanks

tbdeaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    I have a system from Lorex. 6 wireless cameras with room for 2 more. 2tb hard drive. Their Xmas sale may still be going on.

I bought the same Lorex with 6 cameras. It is POE power over Ethernet with a 2tb nvr. So far very happy with it.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Be careful with Hikvision cameras:

t8z0nzvbvpbcu5yyl8.png

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I have no affiliation with hikvision, but that is a problem you can have with any cctv brand. Just change the default login information and you should be good to go. Doesn’t take a serious hacker to figure out you can get into the majority of people’s network devices by using the default admin password that is published in the user manual.

Vtechpremier

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    BATON ROUGE LA
    Camera

Night Owl is great cameras, but you are not going to find anything with 8 cameras for under $300.00. Labor to have someone to install the cameras are even higher.

OldClayBuster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Camera Surveillance

Looking for an 8 camera Surveillance system for my home. Needs to have a hard drive. Any opinions on which system to get or where to look? Hope to stay around $250-300. Been looking on amazon but still undecided.
    Thanks for any help! Merry Christmas!!

Howdy, I have installed 3 camera systems at our gun club - 1 wireless and two wired. They are located approximately 250 yards and 750 yards from the main clubhouse. I have them all linked through a single router which allows us to access each area from anywhere on the web (smartphones). The three systems included 4 cameras (with infra red) each with expansion to 8 cameras if needed. All three systems cost less than $300 each (does not include cost for linking the three locations with a wireless bridge) or connection to the internet. Let me know if you would like some personal experience and lessons learned.
    Oldclaybuster

tbone38

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    New Orleans
    RING

I've had a couple 8 camera systems, but really like the simplicity of the new RING wireless cams. May not be for your application, but it's worth a look. Surprising how well they work.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    if you choose monitored, i highly recommend against vivint.
    app is super crashy. they installed the cameras stupidly, and want $400 to move them.
    no way to adjust sensitivity on motion detector for pets, or sound sensors(glass break goes off all the time).
    cameras are decent quality tho.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    if you choose monitored, i highly recommend against vivint.
    app is super crashy. they installed the cameras stupidly, and want $400 to move them.
    no way to adjust sensitivity on motion detector for pets, or sound sensors(glass break goes off all the time).
    cameras are decent quality tho.

Dogs barking will set off the glass break
    Don't ask how I know
    and ADT will not take it back

Top Bottom