Dilemma......please assist

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evilsvt1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 15, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    I’m debating whether to Trade my Smith & Wesson 1911 for a Sig Sauer P227. Never really shoot the 1911 And not a 1911 guy, but it sure is pretty. Of all the weapons I’ve owned, I’ve never owned a SigSauer. Any assistance in helping me with my decision would be greatly appreciated.

951a74b3b305c94ad71ff0fe3b6b42a1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Gun preference is subjective. I prefer 1911's over metal frame sigs. The sigs always felt too fat in my hand. And the decocker-safety positions get confusing if you don't "train" on their system.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Only one way to find out. Kinda sounds like the 1911 isnt your thing.
    I say trade if you don't care for the Sig, sell or trade it. Don't feel like you are tied to something forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Ya never said what your intentions are for the Sig. Just shoot? Just carry, or both?
    If ya want the Sig get the Sig! Isn't that Sig like a 3rd Gen Smith, like a 5906/6906/4506 etc. But composite, and better?
    As much as a 1911 guy I am a double action, quality, modern, lighter weight gun can not be a bad thing.
    I like shooting a 1911 I have some. But would not carry a 5" one. Be a great duel purpose gun
    Ya never said what Model P227.
    They looks about the same shape and size as a 5906/4506 so wide / fat

Last edited:

Evilsvt1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 15, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    It’s just a home defense/range/camp gun. It’s a P227 FDE.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Why do so many gun people always say keep both when someone wants to trade? If they wanted to keep or buy both they would not be asking the question.
    Many are not financially able to own and feed multiple firearms and most would be surprised at the percentage of people that only own one pistol.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Why do so many gun people always say keep both when someone wants to trade? If they wanted to keep or buy both they would not be asking the question.
    Many are not financially able to own and feed multiple firearms and most would be surprised at the percentage of people that only own one pistol.

I think you're taking them too seriously, although I know people who say never get rid of guns, like never get rid of land.

Evilsvt1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 15, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    I own 4 firearms. One for carry, one for the night stand, one for my girlfriend and I reserve the last one for “fun”. I see no need to have any more than that, unless it’s a “wow” factor I can’t pass up. I usually acquire my firearms from friends or friends of friends that need to sell them and I get a great deal. At this moment, I have no “wow” guns.
    I have an XD-9, a Glock 27, a Taurus PT111-g2 (Bought that one at Academy for 189.99 brand new, it’s actually my favorite to shoot) and this 1911. I’d love to acquire a firearm That I would like so much that I would never get rid of it. Just haven’t found that yet

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I own more than my share but only because I gathered most of them when I was gunsmithing. People would come in needing money. I would pay better than a pawn shop but still get an incredible deal. I have sold some over the years. I tend to keep multiple variants of my absolute favorites (esp beretta m9 and cousins). It’s not because I think I need them. Simply cause I want....

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What specifically is the 1911 doing (or not doing) for you? Or, rather, what would the P227 do (or not do) that would make it a better choice?

They're fundamentally different guns (single stack versus double stack, single action versus single/double action, etc), but they're both tried-and-proven designs from reputable manufacturers, so the question probably centers more around the intended use.

Mike

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La

It would not surprise me at all! How many before {insert election or mass shooting here} happened. Never owned weapon before, "Ran Out" and grabbed "One" and a few boxes of ammo. I saw plenty. Would bet odds are in favor if betting, lots never even cleaned or shot. They now sit gathering dust.
    I wonder some times if the far left buys stock in gum markers, Starts stuff drives the cost up. then dumps it while high. Maybe Obama, The Clinton's, Schumer, Pelosi, Warren and the list goes on. Or they getting rich on gun control?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I think you're taking them too seriously, although I know people who say never get rid of guns, like never get rid of land.
    I guess I have a problem, because i think that way. I do not have the cash on hand to get more stuff but would. Everyone has to work with the budget they have, thus his asking.
    I also have friends and family who just have one gun. Some even think wow who needs 500 rnds of ammo? Looking at a bulk pack of 22LR.
    I am sure some of us are like I am. and think I want it all.
    When the cops, bust someone and the news has it on TV showing 3-4 Rifles, few Handguns, and some ammo. They make a big deal out of it and it is way less than most here own.

LouisianaJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Luling, Louisiana
    I own a .45 1911 and a 9mm 1911, and a .45 P220 and a .38 Super P220. I like them all. For me the single stack P-220 is preferable to the double stack SIG's. I like the fit to my hand on all.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    The double stack 45 guns can get kinda chubby in the grip, I would suggest at least getting your mitts on one before committing.

I have a few sigs, 220 models, so single stack 45. I like them, enough to have a few!

Build quality on the sig should be about as good as the smith. Smith make a nice 1911, I feel they are not regarded as well as they should be. Frames are the same as Kimber, machining is done in house by smith though. Smith=Kimber to me.

I have a few smith 1911 as well, and really like them. Also have a SIg 1911, very nice! (said in Borat voice for extra emphasis)

I would certainly buy your Smith 1911 if you wanted to move it on...

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don't have a P227, but I do have a P226. And in my hands, it doesn't even come close to comparing to my 1911 in terms of ergonomics. The only advantage I can see in the Sig is the double action trigger ... but I don't think that makes it worthwhile, especially given the extra complexity that it presents.

And honestly, if I'm going into battle I'm not going to grab either of those ... I'm either taking a Glock or a Smith & Wesson M&P.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom