Town of Abita Springs is Talking Weapons

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Some people don't think laws they disagree with apply to them.

With the left if it is not want, they want they start crap. Just looks at Hillery's loss ,
    The left will Whine till they get what they want! If Racism, Sexism, etc

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Towns do this crap all the time. "Governmental zone" is a new one for me, though ... I wonder where the "governmental zone" ends and the "rest of the citizenry zone" begins?

Has anyone ever thought of proposing a law that punishes municipalities that pass laws that violate state preemption laws? Even the mere proposal of something like this would make the municipal council-rats squeal like pigs.

The Abita Springs mayor claims to be a Republican ... don't forget that most politicians, regardless of their party affiliation, will stick it to the public.

Mike

captaincarl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    "Fundamental right" to bear arms in Louisiana...Abita Springs is wasting their time and will loose any court challenge (after paying someone's brother-in-law lawyer to defend the indefensible ordinance!) Let's all boycot Abita beer just for the hell of it and see how they like that (is Abita beer even made in Abita Springs??)

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    Official's Post

As a lifelong resident of Abita Springs, I am proud of the job that I have done as an Alderman for the Town that I love.

As I always do, I listen to the residents and bring forward issues that are on the minds of our citizens, some popular and some not so popular.

Over the last few months several residents have expressed concerns about town employees carrying firearms near the Abita Middle School and the farmer’s market. Several Alderman were questioned whether the Farmer’s Market is in fact an extension of town hall and thus a no firearm zone.

As Mayor Pro Temp and public committee chairperson, I am duty bound to follow protocol and conduct the meetings which often include fielding requests from other Alderman to amend the agenda to include topics that residents bring to their attention. The issue concerning town employees and carrying of firearms was not supported at the initial meeting and was not placed on the December 2017 agenda. Prior to the January 2ndmeeting, an Alderman placed the item on the agenda with the intention of getting clarification from the Town Attorney on whether any ordinance limiting the carrying of a firearm would pass legal scrutiny.

As an Alderman, avid outdoors woman and life-long hunter, my home is full of trophy mounts that my husband and I have shot over the years. Dove and quail hunting happen to be my favorite. I have always respected and supported the 2nd Amendment and the right for our residents to keep and bear arms. The quote that has been attributed to me and spread is nothing more than my repeating the verbiage that the Town Attorney recited to the Alderman at our meeting. The proposed ordinance was to be discussed at the February 2018 public committee meeting. There were no plans to vote on this adoption, it was merely open for discussion due to the complaints voiced by our residents. Infringing on the rights bestowed by the 2nd Amendment is not my position, intention nor belief. As I stated at the January 2ndrecorded hearing, I have always and will continue to support the right to keep and bear arms.

Respectfully,
    Gina Kilpatrick-Harper

https://www.facebook.com/AldermanGina/posts/1768697299868062

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    As a lifelong resident of Abita Springs, I am proud of the job that I have done as an Alderman for the Town that I love.

As I always do, I listen to the residents and bring forward issues that are on the minds of our citizens, some popular and some not so popular.

Over the last few months several residents have expressed concerns about town employees carrying firearms near the Abita Middle School and the farmer’s market. Several Alderman were questioned whether the Farmer’s Market is in fact an extension of town hall and thus a no firearm zone.

As Mayor Pro Temp and public committee chairperson, I am duty bound to follow protocol and conduct the meetings which often include fielding requests from other Alderman to amend the agenda to include topics that residents bring to their attention. The issue concerning town employees and carrying of firearms was not supported at the initial meeting and was not placed on the December 2017 agenda. Prior to the January 2ndmeeting, an Alderman placed the item on the agenda with the intention of getting clarification from the Town Attorney on whether any ordinance limiting the carrying of a firearm would pass legal scrutiny.

As an Alderman, avid outdoors woman and life-long hunter, my home is full of trophy mounts that my husband and I have shot over the years. Dove and quail hunting happen to be my favorite. I have always respected and supported the 2nd Amendment and the right for our residents to keep and bear arms. The quote that has been attributed to me and spread is nothing more than my repeating the verbiage that the Town Attorney recited to the Alderman at our meeting. The proposed ordinance was to be discussed at the February 2018 public committee meeting. There were no plans to vote on this adoption, it was merely open for discussion due to the complaints voiced by our residents. Infringing on the rights bestowed by the 2nd Amendment is not my position, intention nor belief. As I stated at the January 2ndrecorded hearing, I have always and will continue to support the right to keep and bear arms.

Respectfully,
    Gina Kilpatrick-Harper

https://www.facebook.com/AldermanGina/posts/1768697299868062

Are the town employees that are carrying near the school breaking the state law? Do they have a CHP and carrying legal or just OC'ing in a gun free school zone? Seems like they could stop employees. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to gather info before going nuts about it all. AND check La Laws before making a fool out of themselves

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Seems to me that the Farmer's Market is an event, not a place. But whatever. They can make a policy that town employees are not allowed to carry firearms if they want. That wouldn't affect the public. Curious to hear/see the minutes from the meeting.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Seems to me that the Farmer's Market is an event, not a place. But whatever. They can make a policy that town employees are not allowed to carry firearms if they want. That wouldn't affect the public. Curious to hear/see the minutes from the meeting.

Is it a permitted event?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    "Fundamental right" to bear arms in Louisiana...Abita Springs is wasting their time and will loose any court challenge (after paying someone's brother-in-law lawyer to defend the indefensible ordinance!) Let's all boycot Abita beer just for the hell of it and see how they like that (is Abita beer even made in Abita Springs??)

Sounds like a dumb idea.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Sounds like OC wouldn't be legal since it's close to the school.

Also sounds like the woman's quote was taken out of context.

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    On Dec 5, 2017 Alderman Kilpatrick-Harper tried to bring this up, but it was not on the agenda for that meeting and the mayor was having none of it. ;)

View attachment Abita171218.pdf Abita171218.png

Top Bottom