Bulk Rd Storage Options

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    I don't particularly care for keeping loose rounds in an ammo can, on top of that I tend to weight sort my Bayou bullets for consistancy and I use 50 cal ammo cans for some storage. Last year I tracked down the phone number to Top Brass and called them and ordered the plastic trays and plain white boxes. The price to me is very reasonable, currently 67 cents for a 9mm tray/box combo with a minimum of 25. I print a label with load data and tape it to the top as well as on one end. I can store 1000 rounds in a can if every tray is full.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have my ammo stored in their boxes in my spare safe. I’m considering getting ammo cans and putting the rounds in the ammo cans to save space. Where can I get reasonably priced ammo cans on the northshore?

Thanks.

gcab985

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Raceland, LA
    I use a variety of containers, Ammo Cans, MTM Case Guard (very good and stackable), empty supermarket tuperware like containers, large JIF Peanut Butter containers, and large Butter containers. I will put smaller containers into the MTM containers. For Small caliber range use, I put magazines and boxes into Home Depot belt tool holders.
    Here is a sample pic.
    I use a variety of containers, Ammo Cans, MTM Case Guard (very good and stackable), empty supermarket tuperware like containers, large JIF Peanut Butter containers, and large Butter containers. I will put smaller containers into the MTM containers. For Small caliber range use, I put magazines and boxes into Home Depot belt tool holders.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I use Metal ammo cans used i trust, new i sink in water and test.
    I use MTM boxes at the range and in the safe. I put some MTM in 50cal cans and others i just toss in loose.
    Then there is cases of cardboard bulk ammo, and 22lr bulk it just stays in the box it came in
    I also Cast so they are in cardboard boxes and plastic tubs. Then lubed, with Red Carnuba, and into boxes for deep storage. And just enough to load with in smaller tubs
    I also have piles of boxes of Lead ingots. So the means i need more range lead, and tire weights Someone has to hoard crap so might as well be me right

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    here is some easy to just toss ammo in and out a sticker on.

Attachments

• 30-06Hronady150-FMJ.jpg
      30-06Hronady150-FMJ.jpg
      97.7 KB · Views: 89
    • 45acp.jpg
      45acp.jpg
      106.2 KB · Views: 139
    • 223.jpg
      223.jpg
      110.5 KB · Views: 107
    • Cast2.jpg
      Cast2.jpg
      181.5 KB · Views: 93
    • cast1.jpg
      cast1.jpg
      122 KB · Views: 131
    • cast3.jpg
      cast3.jpg
      128.2 KB · Views: 97
    • Lyman311365.jpg
      Lyman311365.jpg
      152.3 KB · Views: 90

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have my ammo stored in their boxes in my spare safe. I’m considering getting ammo cans and putting the rounds in the ammo cans to save space. Where can I get reasonably priced ammo cans on the northshore?

Thanks.

I have some in Walker.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I store the bulk of mine in ammo cans. I normally keep 500 or so rounds of 9mm, 45, 357 and 223 in 100 rd mtm cases in the safe for easy acces when going to shoot. After the flood i am a complete believer and recomend to everyone to use ammo cans. I had somewhere between 12-15k rd of 22lr in one can, atleast 1k each 9mm 223 7.62 x 39 etc in other cans. I also had somewhere in the neighborhood of 18k primers. A bunch of spare ar and ak mags hunting ammo and so on in ammo cans. They all sat under water for 2 days until i could get back to pull them out and not the first one had moisture in them. I did lose 7-8 k primers wheich were on my loading bench but everything else was good to go.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks.

If you don't mind waiting for some to be shipped, you could grab a few "Fat Fifty" ammo cans. Order 5 of them and you get free shipping. I know you're looking for bulk ammo storage but you can also fit about 30 AR mags in those cans. And you can lock them.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    50cal cans hold about 1k of 7.62x39 and 30cal cans hold about 500. 50cal cans are good for long storage but I prefer to keep ammo in 30's because they are much easier to carry and move around.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Ziplock bags with 50 or 100 rounds in a mil ammo can. They pack down fairly tight and you can just grab a bag or two and throw in a range bag to go shoot.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Ziplock bags with 50 or 100 rounds in a mil ammo can. They pack down fairly tight and you can just grab a bag or two and throw in a range bag to go shoot.

I have been doing this a few years now. I started out like the op and bought a lot of the ammo boxes to keep up with it all.

Now I put the load data on a card and stick it in the ziploc bag and all goes into a ammo can.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom