flying with firearm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Your going to jail!
    Never ever pack the firearm and ammo together, United doesn't have guidelines on their web site?

Straight from the United Airlines info page:

"No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried.
    The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
    The ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers.
    The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
    Loaded ammunition magazines or clips must be removed from the firearm, and must be securely packed in boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition and must fit over any exposed ends of the magazine or clip.
    Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectile will not be accepted.
    Black powder, for black powder arms, is considered hazardous material and will not be accepted as checked baggage."

Notice ammunition can be packed/transported with a handgun in the same securely locked container.

Direct link to the United page: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx

Ditto the same regs/requirements/info on the TSA page. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
    The ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers.
    The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
    Loaded ammunition magazines or clips must be removed from the firearm, and must be securely packed in boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition and must fit over any exposed ends of the magazine or clip.
    Black powder, for black powder arms, is considered hazardous material and will not be accepted as checked baggage."

Notice ammunition can be packed/transported with a handgun in the same securely locked container.

Direct link to the United page: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx

Ditto the same regs/requirements/info on the TSA page. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

This. It's pretty easy to fly with a firearm. Just don't go to a state like NY where you have to get a card to even possess a firearm.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Well by golly, Its changed since I flew, Thanks for the update!

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Flew with my carry not too long ago. I believe it was with either United or American, I'm getting old and cant remember which. No issues at all, just read the rules. The only oddity that happened was the box did not come out on the tradition baggage carousel, but an employee brought it out at a neighboring delivery area. Just have to keep an eye out for little plan changes like that.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Flew with my carry not too long ago. I believe it was with either United or American, I'm getting old and cant remember which. No issues at all, just read the rules. The only oddity that happened was the box did not come out on the tradition baggage carousel, but an employee brought it out at a neighboring delivery area. Just have to keep an eye out for little plan changes like that.

Did they check you luggage tag or ID before giving it to you? Would make sense that you would not want to send a firearm down to the regular luggage carousel so that any tom, dick or harry can pick it up.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Did they check you luggage tag or ID before giving it to you? Would make sense that you would not want to send a firearm down to the regular luggage carousel so that any tom, dick or harry can pick it up.

I was at the baggage keeping an eye out and it never came out and much of the baggage had been picked up and gone so that's when I started looking around. I noticed the window open and made eye contact with the guy and immediately noticed my box and walked over. I am 99% sure he didn't check anything from me when I picked it up, but it was pretty obvious the box was mine since I recognized the box and immediately walked over. This is just my experience and yours may be completely different. This was also in Denver, so the city/state you are in may also effect how picky they are as well.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Thanks. Didn't even cross my mind that it would be separated from the others checked bags once landing.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

It was still the same baggage area as normal baggage, so if you go that direction you should be fine. Just an employee directly handed it to me rather than it going to the bulk baggage belt. I have no clue if this is typical practice though.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Happened to me also, Rifle was sitting in the baggage area so any jack wagon could swing in and grab it.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Be prepared. My last trip, the 1st airplane took off 4 hours late, putting me on standby for the last flight of the day to get home. My checked bag became a carry on. I lost a pocket knife in the process. If it had been a handgun, I would have gotten a room.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Anyone here have any experience with flying with a firearm on United Airlines? Just wondering if they have any silly rules that are different from the TSA regulations.

I know I'll have to have it packed in a locked, hard sided case in my checked baggage and will have to declare it at the ticket counter. I plan to just pack the pistol, ammo in original packaging and speed loader all in the locked case.

Flying from MSY to IAH in Humble, TX. Any tips that I should know about?

I've read up on the TX laws for concealed carry and I think I am all good to go. Thanks!

I flew from MSY to LAS in October. I made sure I got to the airport about an hour before I normally would. The firearm delayed me about 5-10 minutes. I couldn't self check the bags and I had to wait for the bag to be scanned just in case. I packed unleaded pistol, the unloaded magazines, and a box of ammo in a pelican case and locked it with non-TSA locks and I kept all the keys. I filled out a small card at the counter that was taped to the outside of the box. The agent at the counter, Southwest, never asked to look in the case. I guess she figured the scanners would catch it if it wasn't supposed to be in there. I brought a Glock 42 and on both trips my luggage went to the carousel. So the location of the luggage return may change with the airline. But, theoretically, the destination shouldn't know about it if it's in a suitcase unless they have occasion to open the bag for some reason. There was nothing on my luggage tag to indicate a pistol in the bag.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I flew United in November from Lafayette to Tampa. Absolutely no issue flying either way. I have done it enough now that I know the process. I believe it helps a lot as I'm relaxed about it at the counter and have my stuff together. I've actually had to tell the agent at the counter what to do a couple of time.

If I can make a suggestion. There is a thread called "Mac's guide to flying with firearms" that has been around forever. I think it's from Glocktalk. I followed his suggestions the first time I flew and have kept doing so ever since. A couple of items I highly recommend are:

1. Disassemble the pistol in the case. When they scan and it doesn't even look like a gun I think they totally let it go. Also if some agent ever asks you to open your case they are not going to be seeing a "gun" which might raise tensions with them or bystanders.

2. I run a small steel cable looped around the metal arms of the suitcase handle (inside the back of the suitcase) through the padlock on the gun case. That way no one can open it and easily snag the pistol.

It's worked for me....

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The only thing I'd add is that I highly recommend printing out the TSA rules and your airline's specific rules. That way you have it to show personnel who may be difficult or unfamiliar. But I would not expect any trouble with your origin and destination.

Top Bottom