Texting has ruined honesty with marketplace

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    Not just here but everywhere... I believe the ability to just text, whether it be from an app or your real number is destroying marketplaces/classifieds. I've been here quite some time and have had the privilege to meet quite a few people on here in person. Sales were easy transactions with established members. When you were contacted.. nearly always with a phone call or PM, the other party would always show up. You'd have a nice meet and greet, usually small talk about guns and make the transactions.. Enjoyable times. I've noticed not just here but now everyone wants to text. Endless and endless texts that go over the exact stated ad. Maybe I'm getting old but I miss the times where you were interested in an item you would man up and call the person and make the deal. It seems the ability to text has turned people in to tire kickers. My new favorite is the lovely people that say they want an item (through text of course) and are no shows. A simple call to them yields that it is either not a real number or a message stating that this number is available through free talk or some, what I assume is a anonymous phone app. What are you guys' thoughts?

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Have to agree.
    Not a fan of the texts; much prefer to work with other people with a phone call where we actually talk to one another.
    Sometimes this is not possible for a number of reasons and texting is the best route but I find those transactions to be the exception versus the rule.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    +2.

In a phone call, not only can you talk guns a little bit, and the buyer and seller usually get all questions and concerns addressed immediately. Also you get a feel for who your dealing with (Maybe they are hesitant to answer a question).

- - - Updated - - -

I am Old School and prefer to talk rather than text.

I fit that category as well.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I haven't had too much trouble with text but I do remember one time I had a guy (here) texting me and I told him he was x in line as I was going down the list of interested buyers. He kept texting saying"cash in hand." I was like "dude, I am going down the list, if others balk, it's yours, no matter what I'll let you know."
    He actually acted angry.

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    Unfortunately for me, texting is best since I can't talk until after work. But I do prefer calling when scheduling a transaction.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    I haven't had too much trouble with text but I do remember one time I had a guy (here) texting me and I told him he was x in line as I was going down the list of interested buyers. He kept texting saying"cash in hand."

Okay, I am sidetracking here but folks thinking that saying "cash in hand" will evoke a more immediate response really annoys me to no end.
    Of course they have cash in hand to buy it else I am not interested in them as a potential buyer.
    Never had someone ask to buy something from me by saying "no cash in hand- dead broke- but let's talk anyways."
    Just saying...

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I get that on LA Sportsman a good bit, but I don't think I have ever had a problem with texting resulting in flakiness here. I like texting because it doesn't fill up my PM inbox and I can keep track of what we are talking about. Now, I never hesitate to talk on the phone to someone, but even most of my dealings here are PM and text, not voice.

I'm not sure that texting has ruined the honesty of the marketplace, I think it has more to do with jackasses playing games ruining the trust. I can't imagine that anyone on BS with a good feedback rating has been a no-show or played games, whether they text or talk.

Last edited:

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    I see it more and more as well..especially on this site for some reason. Obviously it's going to be cash that I'll accept. It's not a bargaining tool and I'm not a slick used car salesman. I accept cash and precious metals.. no goats, no chickens or Uncle Jim Bob's pirogue on trade.

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    I do believe texting can be a good tool for organizing who you are trying to establish a deal with. I believe they are more inclined to offer a said price, then not respond after accepting or even show up. While a coward can obviously do the same per phone call, I find it getting harder and harder to sell an item when these "tire kickers" are constantly hiding behind texts or "text apps".

I have had issues on here before. Two members in fact, having good feedback, had agree to terms then change their mind right before meets and not even show up. These being primarily text or pm only. (It has been addressed and they have been flogged accordingly) I assume I'm just venting. I've had a fella on here, requesting photos of what I had for sale. I asked him what he was referring to, to which he answered I don't know, I'm looking at a bunch of different guns for sale and don't know which one you were selling. I sent some photos and a link to said ad..which had my asking price with the large words firm, he then requested the lowest amount I'd take for it. I informed him of the price and the words "firm" to which I received an offer that would embarrass a Hi-point seller. Wish I could say that had only happened once but I've had that happen nearly every time I have a gun listed. Either I am an arsehole magnet or these idiots are multiplying. Makes for a really long block list..is all I'm saying.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I do believe texting can be a good tool for organizing who you are trying to establish a deal with. I believe they are more inclined to offer a said price, then not respond after accepting or even show up. While a coward can obviously do the same per phone call, I find it getting harder and harder to sell an item when these "tire kickers" are constantly hiding behind texts or "text apps".

I have had issues on here before. Two members in fact, having good feedback, had agree to terms then change their mind right before meets and not even show up. These being primarily text or pm only. (It has been addressed and they have been flogged accordingly) I assume I'm just venting. I've had a fella on here, requesting photos of what I had for sale. I asked him what he was referring to, to which he answered I don't know, I'm looking at a bunch of different guns for sale and don't know which one you were selling. I sent some photos and a link to said ad..which had my asking price with the large words firm, he then requested the lowest amount I'd take for it. I informed him of the price and the words "firm" to which I received an offer that would embarrass a Hi-point seller. Wish I could say that had only happened once but I've had that happen nearly every time I have a gun listed. Either I am an arsehole magnet or these idiots are multiplying. Makes for a really long block list..is all I'm saying.

You may be an arsehole magnet, I can't rule that out. But I do think the idiots are multiplying. It appears there is a growing number of people with the mindset of buying low and selling high without regard to the quality of the item.

Ranslem9849

Rating - 99%
    102   1   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Abita Springs
    I feel the same way.

I’ve noticed a lot of *newbie* members trolling ads via pm too.
    The message always contains *sir* in it .
    Request more information on what you have posted, then come the *have to wait till payday * or *out of town right now* sometimes it’s just a no response.
    I’m sure we have some new members that are legitimate but we certainly have some that are trolls.

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    Well I did attract you to the thread, eh.. lol

You may be an arsehole magnet, I can't rule that out. But I do think the idiots are multiplying. It appears there is a growing number of people with the mindset of buying low and selling high without regard to the quality of the item.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Texting gas ruined everything Web Sites, Driving, Doctors visits, Checking out at a register, Trying to order food at a fast food place, They are just zombies on phones! They take up good place in a line and are not ready {ie} can not even stop to do what they are there for, to do.
    I saw a girl drive into a parked car across from my home. She told the Kenner Cops a bee flew in the window. I saw here hit the car she was looking down the whole way down the street.
    Saw someone while out yesterday walk out in front a moving car, Saw someone 2 weeks ago walk into something
    I regularly see persons who are employment requires them to do, Texting instead or working, waiting on customers etc.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Texting is just another form of communication. I don't have a problem with its existence; what I have a problem with is people not exercising the same courtesy and respect that they might in a more direct form of communication (such as a phone call or an in-person meeting).

I blame a lot of this on the parents that buy their kids cell phones and don't teach them proper etiquette.

Mike

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    Texting is just another form of communication. I don't have a problem with its existence; what I have a problem with is people not exercising the same courtesy and respect that they might in a more direct form of communication (such as a phone call or an in-person meeting).

I blame a lot of this on the parents that buy their kids cell phones and don't teach them proper etiquette.

Mike

I believe that is the cause of most of the problems today.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom