Texting has ruined honesty with marketplace

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    All of BS went down hill after the two way communications were halted in sales posts.It opened the door for people to have closed bid sales and do this texting folly.Its what you all wanted and what you got.Its like my Mom would say,Be careful as to what you pray for you just might get it.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    All of BS went down hill after the two way communications were halted in sales posts.It opened the door for people to have closed bid sales and do this texting folly.Its what you all wanted and what you got.Its like my Mom would say,Be careful as to what you pray for you just might get it.

Help me, I cant find the like button

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    Help me, I cant find the like button
    images.jpg

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12

This right here.

I’ve never been on a forum you can’t post in a sales thread.

But onto the topic, text works best for me. I’m a police officer and talking while at work is a pain in the ass with the dispatchers constantly talking over the radio. Then after work, usually doing homework or sports event with the kids / dinner / etc. text make communication so much easier for me.

And personally, I just hate talking on the phone.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge

I agree. I never knew why that happened. Thought the ops just did it. I don't remember voting on it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Texting as a way of communicating at all should be limited to no more than a few words. Things like 'i'm running late', 'i'm leaving now', 'on my way', etc. Not complete conversations. That's for email, FB, phone, or in person.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Texting as a way of communicating at all should be limited to no more than a few words. Things like 'i'm running late', 'i'm leaving now', 'on my way', etc. Not complete conversations. That's for email, FB, phone, or in person.

That's what the wife gets and I get from each other. The front door is unlocked! period! As she is on her way home soon and it is raining out
    Leaving work late today ect.
    That's it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I used to do deals mostly PM and a phone call buy sell or trade. I much prefer a phone conversation prior to a meet or mail, but will accept text and lately I find myself offering that option, but only as a result of trying to change with the times.
    But to be honest, I hate texting to communicate. I feel it lends to a lot of misunderstandings and too much lost in the mix. Prime examples of that happen almost daily between me and the mrs. and we’ve known each other for a pretty good while.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I used to do deals mostly PM and a phone call buy sell or trade. I much prefer a phone conversation prior to a meet or mail, but will accept text and lately I find myself offering that option, but only as a result of trying to change with the times.
    But to be honest, I hate texting to communicate. I feel it lends to a lot of misunderstandings and too much lost in the mix. Prime examples of that happen almost daily between me and the mrs. and we’ve known each other for a pretty good while.

I like text for the opposite reason, it provides a record of what was agreed Upon. I will usually call though before a meet up for the walker if I do not know the person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In the few ads I've posted, I don't list a phone number. If someone is interested, they are welcome to PM me on here. It keeps a record of the conversation and minimizes someone having my number who is mad because I wouldn't sell at the price he wanted to buy it for. Numbers can be exchanged for the final parts of the transactions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

I agree 100%.

I’ve had a couple sellers back out on me last minute saying they decided to keep the item. Then a couple days later I see the sellers feedback reflecting the item was sold to someone else!!!

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    between work, school, family, homework, etc...
    i dont have time to sleep more than 5 hours a night, letalone waste it calling, " hey this is tm from bs, youve got a yada yada for sale,( insert 10 min convo of useless info and or weather talk).
    text or email as i have a few moments free thru the day. no wasted time, or stuck ignoring everything around me during the phone convo.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    between work, school, family, homework, etc...
    i dont have time to sleep more than 5 hours a night, letalone waste it calling, " hey this is tm from bs, youve got a yada yada for sale,( insert 10 min convo of useless info and or weather talk).
    text or email as i have a few moments free thru the day. no wasted time, or stuck ignoring everything around me during the phone convo.

Wow...you seem like a very busy man. But if you brushed your teeth while sitting on the toilet, you may save yourself a minute or two. A couple more time saving tips and you'll have time for that convo of useless info and weather talk.

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    Moving forward..
    One of the good things about the communication on the for sale ads, was during the price gouging times, they were called out on it. Selling standard run of the mill Ar15's for about a grand over value. Not to mention the first of the .22 ammo fiasco where people were trying to sell the cheap .22 bricks for over a hundred bucks.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Moving forward..
    One of the good things about the communication on the for sale ads, was during the price gouging times, they were called out on it. Selling standard run of the mill Ar15's for about a grand over value. Not to mention the first of the .22 ammo fiasco where people were trying to sell the cheap .22 bricks for over a hundred bucks.

They were getting the cheap stuff and trying to sell it at the "Nigerian Price"?

ramsey6199

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Crowley area.
    What the hell is your deal? You are supposed to be a mod not a instigator. Perhaps the owner of this site needs to re-evaluate the moderators he is putting in charge. This site it dying and I thought hell, I might as well start a topic on something that has come up. You on the other hand, have done nothing but insert ignorant smart arse replies to everyone. You are more of a troll than an actual moderator.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What the hell is your deal? You are supposed to be a mod not a instigator. Perhaps the owner of this site needs to re-evaluate the moderators he is putting in charge. This site it dying and I thought hell, I might as well start a topic on something that has come up. You on the other hand, have done nothing but insert ignorant smart arse replies to everyone. You are more of a troll than an actual moderator.

To say I have not positively contributed to this topic is dishonest. I have agreed with your assessment of the classified section and have shared my experience with posting ads on here.

You made a typo and I ribbed you about it. If the tables were turned, I'd laugh it off and embrace my typo. In case you forgot, I didn't even say anything when you called me an arsehole in post #15 after I agreed with your assessment of the classified section. But you, on the other hand, come back 3 days later and call me a prick, specifically, the biggest prick on this thread. "Rule 1: No rudeness or personal attacks - While we appreciate passionate and informed discussion we will not allow rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, purposeless inflammatory posts, or trolling. If you do not like a thread or do not have anything positive to say, do not post anything at all." Did your post calling me a prick contain any information other than an insult? Would you rather I have done the mod thing instead of shrugging it off? Did you post a reply containing nothing other than a personal attack because you figured I'm a mod and I'd just have to take it without being able to respond accordingly?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    To say I have not positively contributed to this topic is dishonest. I have agreed with your assessment of the classified section and have shared my experience with posting ads on here.

You made a typo and I ribbed you about it. If the tables were turned, I'd laugh it off and embrace my typo. In case you forgot, I didn't even say anything when you called me an arsehole in post #15 after I agreed with your assessment of the classified section. But you, on the other hand, come back 3 days later and call me a prick, specifically, the biggest prick on this thread. "Rule 1: No rudeness or personal attacks - While we appreciate passionate and informed discussion we will not allow rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, purposeless inflammatory posts, or trolling. If you do not like a thread or do not have anything positive to say, do not post anything at all." Did your post calling me a prick contain any information other than an insult? Would you rather I have done the mod thing instead of shrugging it off? Did you post a reply containing nothing other than a personal attack because you figured I'm a mod and I'd just have to take it without being able to respond accordingly?

You're not the biggest prick on this thread, you're just an amusing jackass! (posted with love):dogkeke:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom