Coonass needs advice: Going to Colorado snow skiing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peak98

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    We’re headed to Steamboat Springs in a couple weeks for a few days of skiing. We’ve never been skiing before, or up north in that cold ass weather either. I need some advice on what types of clothing to wear while skiing. I figure good base layers are a must but kinda lost after that. I don’t want to freeze, but don’t want to be sweating from wearing to much clothes either. I’d appreciate advice as to what to wear. No sense buying a bunch of stuff and it’s not needed. Thanks.

peak98

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    If you are over the age of fourty and have never been for Goodness sake please do something else. Lol Bones, ligaments, and tendons don’t heal too well after fourty.

welco425

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As an non expert who only went once. This is what you need:
    long johns (not cotton) , buy a pair of ski bibs they are not expensive and light wind/waterproof jacket. I live in Baton Rouge and found the bibs in BR. Try Backpacker. Rent boots and ski equipment at the resort. Call ahead to reserve. Most important take ski lessons, no exception or you will break something.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    ex mountain dweller here. Worked at ski resorts in my youth. Check out the average loss and highs first and go for there. Most important is layering with synthetic or wool garments. No cotton as it will get wet with sweat and make you cold especially when riding up the Lift. Typical layering Is A wicking Layer like Thermals,a Loft LAyer Like A SWeater or Fleece, And A Hardshell Layer Like A Raincoat. Ski Bibs Are better Than Pants. WHen You Fall, Snow Will not Go UNder Your Clothes At The Waist. For Temps Under About 10F And Below, I use A Down jacket instead of HAardshell. Its Cold ENough TO Keep The Down From Getting WEt.
    Colorado gets lots of sun so Goggles With A UV Rating Is Critical. Snow Blindness Is sun Burn On Your Eyeballs. Ouch! Also Use Sunscreen.
    Get Two Hats And Two Glove Pairs Because They Will Get Wet. Get A Scarf, Facemask Or Balaclava In CAse of snow or high winds.
    Most Everything Except For Goggles And Bibs Can Be Sourced From a Thrift Store If You Dont Know You Will Be Doing This Again And Dont want To Spend A Lot Of Money. Also, There Are many Second Hand And Inventory Clearance Stores In The front Range That Specialize In Outdoor Clothing. One is across the street from the main RE I in Denver.
    It is important for safety to let the rental shop know you are a beginner. They will set the DIN setting on your binding correctly so minimize risk of getting hurt.
    Lastly, a lesson, group or private, is completely worth it and will give you the best chance for enjoying your first ski trip.
    Have fun! I'm jealous!

jlee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 29, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's a list of what I normally bring in addition to my ski shoes, pants, and jacket:

1. Wool socks (at least two pair)
    2. Pair of thin gloves (the kind you can touch a phone screen with are nice)
    3. Pair of ski gloves (I wear mine over the others unless it's warm)
    4. Sunscreen (the snow reflects the sun and you will get burnt!)
    5. Glasses and/or goggles
    6. Lip balm/chapstick
    7. Tissues (for your nose and goggles)
    8. Ski mask (in case it starts snowing)
    9. Backpack with waist strap (handy for storing layers you're not using)
    10. Battery pack/charger (batteries don't last long in the cold)

Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Have you considered the elevation in your prep? This is for your bodies health.
    Driving or flying?
    If you drive it in a couple of days it helps with the change. If you fly take it easy for the first day, more if you have the time. Drink LOTS of water and snack on foods. Avoid things that dehydrate you. Yea I know that sucks. Be skimpy with the alcohol.
    If elevation sickness hits there is only one cure, lower elevation. Party over!

Laid Back

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Livingston Parish
    Agree with the above suggestions, and strongly suggest a high performance thermal layer like they sell at Cabela’s or any ski specialty store (massey’s if they’re still open).

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I was a lifelong skier and tried snowboarding at 35. My advice, don't ski. Hop on a snowboard and take a lesson. I love to ski and I found that I loved snowboarding even more. Also, as a bonus, since you are locked in with both legs, there is little to no chance of destroying an ankle, assuming you aren't doing high speed acrobatics on your first day.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As has been suggested, run to the Backpacker. I used to work there back in the day and even lead a couple of ski trips to Steamboat from there. They will certainly point you in the right direction. I've been to Steamboat a number of times. It's a fun resort. But I've always found it warmer than you'd think it would be. I was always comfortable with a non-cotton base layer (top and bottom), a pair of pants, gore-tex over pants, a long sleeve shirt, and a water-proof (or really water resistant) jacket with a snow skirt. Non-cotton socks, a ski cap or baseball cap, and a pair of gloves would complete the package. But I'm pretty warm natured.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rb24
    Top Bottom