Value of a piano

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Anyone know anything about older piano values? I’m trying to get an idea so I can sell one my parents have. It’s an upright made by PS Starck. From my research it was made in 1931-1932

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    No idea, but I just bought an upright, don't know the brand off the top of my head, for 100 bucks a few weeks ago.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    From a little bit of experience, with most older upright pianos, if you can get $100 you're doing well. If someone will take it for free, you're doing okay. If not, you'll end up having to pay someone to haul it away. I don't know that piano, and I'm not a piano expert, but do your research. Unless there is something extraordinary about it, the value just isn't there.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Fyi, the piano I bought probably weighed 300lbs or so. Used a car trailer to bring it home. If you were to pay someone to move it, it would be $$. And if it hasn't been tuned in a while, a lot of people may pass on the deal since they will have to get that done. Piano's are nice to have, but resale is horrible unless it's something spectacular or has a story.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    From a little bit of experience, with most older upright pianos, if you can get $100 you're doing well. If someone will take it for free, you're doing okay. If not, you'll end up having to pay someone to haul it away. I don't know that piano, and I'm not a piano expert, but do your research. Unless there is something extraordinary about it, the value just isn't there.

Thanks, I’m sure it’s not a rare one because I just don’t have that type luck.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Yeah, My ex-wife had an old upright, The only way I got rid of it was to get rid of her.

I worked on lots of job site sand the 100 bucks or free to get rid of it is on par.
    As far as the quote. I called my Brother in 2005 to see how he did with the Katrina storm. He said I made out just fine!
    He this time someone Katrina just took my roof! The last time she took my whole damm house. His Ex name was, you got it "Katrina"

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Fyi, the piano I bought probably weighed 300lbs or so. Used a car trailer to bring it home. If you were to pay someone to move it, it would be $$. And if it hasn't been tuned in a while, a lot of people may pass on the deal since they will have to get that done. Piano's are nice to have, but resale is horrible unless it's something spectacular or has a story.

This one is def more than 300lbs unfortunately. It was making grooves on hard wood floor when we rolled it on its wheels

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    This one is def more than 300lbs unfortunately. It was making grooves on hard wood floor when we rolled it on its wheels

Your going to need a thick piece of carpet to set it on if you wish to stop the grooves when you move it.
    In other words, You'll need to manually drag the carpet with piano on it across the floor!

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    The one in BR is a spinet piano, smaller, lighter, and more desireable. I paid $100 for a 1950s spinet, and passed on a couple of free older ones.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    If you go to move it, use a pair of furniture dollies. Most old pianos have brass wheels that seize up over time - especially if they are hardly ever moved. As to the value, I wouldn't expect much. People in the days of your pianos provenance bought a lot of pianos relatively cheap - they didn't have much in the form of entertainment.

When I used to live in Baton Rouge, there were two family-owned piano places - O'Neil's Music and Fruget's Pianos. Both were good people back when I knew them. Maybe they can steer you in the right direction.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If you go to move it, use a pair of furniture dollies. Most old pianos have brass wheels that seize up over time - especially if they are hardly ever moved. As to the value, I wouldn't expect much. People in the days of your pianos provenance bought a lot of pianos relatively cheap - they didn't have much in the form of entertainment.

When I used to live in Baton Rouge, there were two family-owned piano places - O'Neil's Music and Fruget's Pianos. Both were good people back when I knew them. Maybe they can steer you in the right direction.

Thanks, I will give them a call tomorrow

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    How about a group shoot with tannerite. Make it you tube quality and maybe harvest a few pennies on it.
    I have been told there is something like 30,000 lbs of force from the strings. Could be it's last song!

FWIW I went through the same process. Finally gave it away. Good riddance.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    How about a group shoot with tannerite. Make it you tube quality and maybe harvest a few pennies on it.
    I have been told there is something like 30,000 lbs of force from the strings. Could be it's last song!

FWIW I went through the same process. Finally gave it away. Good riddance.

Lol. That is def an option

Top Bottom