AR Barrel Nut Alignment/Spec

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Been fighting with my barrel nut on a Colt 6922 to get it within torque spec but still fit the gas tube. My problem is the barrel, from the factory, was only tightened to 22ft/lbs which is well outside the 30-80# range. However, that entire range falls into the space of a single tooth. 80# is just a hair too tight to pass the tube alignment tool, 30# is right in the middle of the tooth. 22# just scares me. I've got it set at a hair over 80# which should pass the tube fine but worries me as to stressing the upper, plus I rounded off a tooth in the process. I worked it back and forth repeatedly with grease and still can't rotate to torque enough.

Thinking of finding another milspec nut and trying again.

O45klb.jpg

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    New barrel nut would be about the only thing that I would try...torque wrench is in spec huh? You should know if it's around 80lbs lol so I'm sure it's correct, just a thought, other than that .. 80lbs wouldn't bother me, only thing I would think of is what you've done... Make sure good high temp grease, and work it loose and tight

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Agreed with other posters, get a lapping tool or some shims, or just torque the SOB down. As long as it has a generous amount of grease it should be fine.
    Also I have had a PSA upper that was so tight I broke a tooth off the barrel nut and bent the wrench. If memory serves I ended up cracking the upper, and having to cut the barrel nut off and buy a new one. I don't think there was any grease on it either. No idea what it was tightened to as I didn't have a torque wrench at the time. That's the first and last complete upper I ever bought.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    A new barrel nut would be my first try. I have a few hanging around as they all seem to time differently. 30ftlbs is too loose IMO...

You can also just sand the end of the upper with some sandpaper and a piece of glass or granite = something flat to put the sandpaper on. This will remove some of ano, and you really should replace that, as you may have some issues with bare al against the steel barrel stop.

A different barrel nut is the easiest thing.

And if you have damaged the nut, your wrench is likely junk, or your technique really sucks. Not trying to be a dick, all wrenches are not made the same.

REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    As mentioned, make sure you are using a torque wrench and a GOOD armorer wrench

30 too lose in my opinion. Also use some aeroshell grease. Also make sure the torque wrench is PERPENDICULAR to the armorer tool

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As mentioned, make sure you are using a torque wrench and a GOOD armorer wrench

30 too lose in my opinion. Also use some aeroshell grease. Also make sure the torque wrench is PERPENDICULAR to the armorer tool

I’m using this contraption
    59fcd537b65fa8a147de67ce9c65d28b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Your "contraption" looks good. Wheeler makes decent tools. I own a couple of theirs. Way better than that chinese knock off junk for $12. Magpull makes a really nice barrel nut tool, I have one.

Try another barrel nut or use a proper shim. DO NOT sand or grind on the upper receiver itself. That's just plain ignorant. You will clearly remove the anodizing and possibly disrupt/alter the perpendicular machined face to bore.

Grinding/lapping the receiver face goes into the same file as nails used for alignment and channel locks/strap wrenches for tightening the barrel nut. Oh and 1x2" piece of wood upper receiver jigs.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    New Troy nut went on like a dream, lined up at 70# and fit the grip perfectly.

8db1c2b6c940c6ffdd5cb9eb4b6f0d4e.jpg

e0e846593ec708ee977976fb7bd92b50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom