Taurus PT 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Anyone have a Taurus PT1911 pistol? Was looking at one today at a local gun shop. How does it shoot? Are the parts interchangeable with standard 1911 parts? What is your take on fit, finish, and quality?

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    If you are looking at it from a shooting standpoint it is a great 1911 for the price. My B-I-L has one and it shoots very nice and I wouldn't hesitate to put it up against some of the higher dollar guns....but don't expect for it to become a collectable.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i have my dads. it is in very rough shape from being locked up for months after his death.
    its a series 80,(extra drop safety components) and i was having poor trigger pull from those components, but im converting it to series 70, so no issue.
    the sight dovetails are not industry standard, so you have to hunt down the limited available sights. edited to add: the rear sight set screw(novak sight) is only supplied by taurus, and strips very easily due to soft metal.
    some rough edges on the inside, and on the barrel lug. fluff and buff took care of it.

but from day 1, round 1, it has fed/fired every type of ammo, and very accurate. my dad used it hog hunting, and often shot squirrels off of his bird feeder with it(75ft or so).

Last edited:

Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    I’ve had one for about 31/2 years with hundreds of rounds thru it with no issues whatsoever. It is ugly but reliable. The only issue I had was not all aftermarket mags will work but I’ve taken a dremel to them and they work just fine after that.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Taurus PT1911 was my first 1911, and to this day I regret having sold it. It was no beauty queen, but it fired reliably and accurately every time I pulled the trigger.

For the money, it’s a tough gun to beat.

Mike

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Nothing Taurus holds its value...

For the new price of a Taurus, a better used gun can be found, always.

Used Taurus can/should be cheap.

Metro arms makes a very nice 1911, not sure if they are comparable in price to the Taurus but I am sure the quality is much better.

And I have owned/shot alot of Taurus products.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central

Metro arms makes a very nice 1911, not sure if they are comparable in price to the Taurus but I am sure the quality is much better.

And I have owned/shot alot of Taurus products.

And I literally just cut the shot out of my thumb on the feed ramp of a metro arms 1911. So much unfinished edges its surprising it fired as many rounds as it did before jamming.
    Armscore or ria may be better than Taurus, but not metro arms.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I want to agree with this, but I see so few used Taurus guns for sale—especially the larger frame stuff like the 1911's and the full-size revolvers. Even a quick browse through the Marketplace posts here doesn't turn up a lot of them.

If we're going to compare apples to apples, show me a comparable new 1911 to the Taurus PT1911. It'll be the "junk" manufacturers like ATI or Rock Island, and resale isn't going to be any better with those. You'll need to spend upwards of $800 to get a 1911 that's going to hold its value better than a Taurus will (I'm thinking Ruger, S&W, Sig, Remington, etc.), and most of those guns are still going to sell for more on the used market than a new PT1911 will cost.

My experience with Taurus' service was excellent. About 4 years ago I had a Taurus TCP with a trigger issue. Taurus covered the shipping in both directions, and from the time it left my door to the time it arrived back at my door was 6 days. Problem was solved and they even threw in an extra mag for my trouble.

Mike

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I want to agree with this, but I see so few used Taurus guns for sale—especially the larger frame stuff like the 1911's and the full-size revolvers. Even a quick browse through the Marketplace posts here doesn't turn up a lot of them.

If we're going to compare apples to apples, show me a comparable new 1911 to the Taurus PT1911. It'll be the "junk" manufacturers like ATI or Rock Island, and resale isn't going to be any better with those. You'll need to spend upwards of $800 to get a 1911 that's going to hold its value better than a Taurus will (I'm thinking Ruger, S&W, Sig, Remington, etc.), and most of those guns are still going to sell for more on the used market than a new PT1911 will cost.

My experience with Taurus' service was excellent. About 4 years ago I had a Taurus TCP with a trigger issue. Taurus covered the shipping in both directions, and from the time it left my door to the time it arrived back at my door was 6 days. Problem was solved and they even threw in an extra mag for my trouble.

Mike
    My dad cracked the frame on his pt709 slim. Likely a buddy's reloads. Taurus essentially gave him a brand new gun, with all the accessories he did not send with the original.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    And I literally just cut the shot out of my thumb on the feed ramp of a metro arms 1911. So much unfinished edges its surprising it fired as many rounds as it did before jamming.
    Armscore or ria may be better than Taurus, but not metro arms.

Fair enough. I have handled a few metro 1911s and fired the one I have (an all steel bobcut). Fit and finish of those was better than the 2 pt1911s I had a few years ago. Small samples, so not really good enough to draw much conclusions. I have had a few ria, those were ok. Not comparable to a smith or kimber. The metro bobcut has the best slide to frame fit I have seen on a production gun... maybe I got lucky and scored a Tuesday afternoon special?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell

Mike

I have not seen a lot of used Hipoints for sale on the Marketplace... Does that mean that they are so loved by their owners that they will be kept as family heirlooms for all of eternity, or that the reasonably savvy (on average) bayoushooter members know better...

My pet theory is that the new Taurus gun is purchased by someone who is looking to get their feet wet in a certain category without bothering to do much research or trying to find a rental/loaner to try out. No harm/fowl in my eyes there, buy whatever you want or can afford. That does not make a Taurus product anything more than what it is, a lower price point option. They cut the price somehow, it will be fit, finish, or materials.

A Taurus product may offer a lower price, but that does not translate into a better value.

You could also use the lack of used examples for sale as an indicator that the owners wised up and realized that there would be no point trying to sell the gun, or that all of the used examples are currently on their way to or from the warranty center. Neither would be a correct assumption, but...

As far as a comparable 1911 new for the same price, looks like Armscor, RIA, Auto Ordnance, Thompson, Citadel, Para, ATI, Springfield, Remington, etc, exist around the same range. So plenty of options.

I will also mention that I did purchase a new in box Kimber pro carry from a member here for $550. What does that mean? I could have spent the same money on a new pt1911. Which would you rather have?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lej1608
    Top Bottom