Interstate Guns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Taurus PT 1911

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9

    Taurus PT 1911

    Anyone have a Taurus PT1911 pistol? Was looking at one today at a local gun shop. How does it shoot? Are the parts interchangeable with standard 1911 parts? What is your take on fit, finish, and quality?

  2. #2
    Ready, Shoot, Aim! CatCam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    620
    If you are looking at it from a shooting standpoint it is a great 1911 for the price. My B-I-L has one and it shoots very nice and I wouldn't hesitate to put it up against some of the higher dollar guns....but don't expect for it to become a collectable.

  3. #3
    Marksman
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Watson
    Posts
    2,171
    i have my dads. it is in very rough shape from being locked up for months after his death.
    its a series 80,(extra drop safety components) and i was having poor trigger pull from those components, but im converting it to series 70, so no issue.
    the sight dovetails are not industry standard, so you have to hunt down the limited available sights. edited to add: the rear sight set screw(novak sight) is only supplied by taurus, and strips very easily due to soft metal.
    some rough edges on the inside, and on the barrel lug. fluff and buff took care of it.

    but from day 1, round 1, it has fed/fired every type of ammo, and very accurate. my dad used it hog hunting, and often shot squirrels off of his bird feeder with it(75ft or so).
    Last edited by troy_mclure; January 9th, 2018 at 07:00 AM.

  4. #4
    On Target

    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Boyce,La.
    Posts
    53
    I’ve had one for about 31/2 years with hundreds of rounds thru it with no issues whatsoever. It is ugly but reliable. The only issue I had was not all aftermarket mags will work but I’ve taken a dremel to them and they work just fine after that.

  5. #5
    Marksman

    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    194
    The Taurus PT1911 was my first 1911, and to this day I regret having sold it. It was no beauty queen, but it fired reliably and accurately every time I pulled the trigger.

    For the money, it’s a tough gun to beat.

    Mike
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.

  6. #6
    Not Banned!!! jdindadell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Slidell
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,105
    Nothing Taurus holds its value...

    For the new price of a Taurus, a better used gun can be found, always.

    Used Taurus can/should be cheap.

    Metro arms makes a very nice 1911, not sure if they are comparable in price to the Taurus but I am sure the quality is much better.

    And I have owned/shot alot of Taurus products.
    "These Rocky Mountains aren't very rocky. Yeah, that John Denver is full of SH**!"

  7. #7
    Marksman
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Watson
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by jdindadell View Post
    Nothing Taurus holds its value...

    For the new price of a Taurus, a better used gun can be found, always.

    Used Taurus can/should be cheap.

    Metro arms makes a very nice 1911, not sure if they are comparable in price to the Taurus but I am sure the quality is much better.

    And I have owned/shot alot of Taurus products.
    And I literally just cut the shot out of my thumb on the feed ramp of a metro arms 1911. So much unfinished edges its surprising it fired as many rounds as it did before jamming.
    Armscore or ria may be better than Taurus, but not metro arms.

  8. #8
    Marksman

    Premium Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by jdindadell View Post
    Nothing Taurus holds its value...

    For the new price of a Taurus, a better used gun can be found, always.

    Used Taurus can/should be cheap.
    I want to agree with this, but I see so few used Taurus guns for sale—especially the larger frame stuff like the 1911's and the full-size revolvers. Even a quick browse through the Marketplace posts here doesn't turn up a lot of them.

    If we're going to compare apples to apples, show me a comparable new 1911 to the Taurus PT1911. It'll be the "junk" manufacturers like ATI or Rock Island, and resale isn't going to be any better with those. You'll need to spend upwards of $800 to get a 1911 that's going to hold its value better than a Taurus will (I'm thinking Ruger, S&W, Sig, Remington, etc.), and most of those guns are still going to sell for more on the used market than a new PT1911 will cost.

    My experience with Taurus' service was excellent. About 4 years ago I had a Taurus TCP with a trigger issue. Taurus covered the shipping in both directions, and from the time it left my door to the time it arrived back at my door was 6 days. Problem was solved and they even threw in an extra mag for my trouble.

    Mike
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.

  9. #9
    Marksman
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Watson
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighReloader View Post
    I want to agree with this, but I see so few used Taurus guns for sale—especially the larger frame stuff like the 1911's and the full-size revolvers. Even a quick browse through the Marketplace posts here doesn't turn up a lot of them.

    If we're going to compare apples to apples, show me a comparable new 1911 to the Taurus PT1911. It'll be the "junk" manufacturers like ATI or Rock Island, and resale isn't going to be any better with those. You'll need to spend upwards of $800 to get a 1911 that's going to hold its value better than a Taurus will (I'm thinking Ruger, S&W, Sig, Remington, etc.), and most of those guns are still going to sell for more on the used market than a new PT1911 will cost.

    My experience with Taurus' service was excellent. About 4 years ago I had a Taurus TCP with a trigger issue. Taurus covered the shipping in both directions, and from the time it left my door to the time it arrived back at my door was 6 days. Problem was solved and they even threw in an extra mag for my trouble.

    Mike
    My dad cracked the frame on his pt709 slim. Likely a buddy's reloads. Taurus essentially gave him a brand new gun, with all the accessories he did not send with the original.

  10. #10
    Not Banned!!! jdindadell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Slidell
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,105
    Quote Originally Posted by troy_mclure View Post
    And I literally just cut the shot out of my thumb on the feed ramp of a metro arms 1911. So much unfinished edges its surprising it fired as many rounds as it did before jamming.
    Armscore or ria may be better than Taurus, but not metro arms.
    Fair enough. I have handled a few metro 1911s and fired the one I have (an all steel bobcut). Fit and finish of those was better than the 2 pt1911s I had a few years ago. Small samples, so not really good enough to draw much conclusions. I have had a few ria, those were ok. Not comparable to a smith or kimber. The metro bobcut has the best slide to frame fit I have seen on a production gun... maybe I got lucky and scored a Tuesday afternoon special?
    "These Rocky Mountains aren't very rocky. Yeah, that John Denver is full of SH**!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •