Sling, roku, etc.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have multiple friends who've cut the cord and gone to this: www.setvnow.com Runs on Amazon Firestick without issue. Killer channel set at very affordable price. I'm set to kill DirecTv at the end of the month and switch over.

That looks really good. Seems to offer ALL the major cable channels, including premiums and sports. I wonder how they do it for $20 a month. SlingTV is $20 a month just for limited lower level channels without sports package...

tbone38

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    New Orleans
    Not sure, and I was suspect at first. But buddy has had it for about 5 months now without an issue or complaint. Cheaper than $20/month if you pay for a whole year. Think it gets down to $15ish.

CBlack

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Covington, La
    Roku all the way. We couldn't be happier. Has all the apps you could want. We pay for Netflix and Hulu through Roku. Subscribe to one or two others as needed. No more than 25 a month and we have all we want to watch. Roku is very easy to use as well.

Not impressed with Amazon fire stick.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    my smart tv has(paid) hulu, netflix, vudu, amazon prime, (unpaid) dozens of channels(food network, etc...) youtube, crackle, etc....

we have not had cable in over 2 years. dont really miss it.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I have 3 Roku devices that are mostly used for Netflix and Amazon video. I also have Uverse, antenna, playstation, x-box, & wii. The gaming platforms also have streaming capabilities. My daughter uses the playstation for netflix in her LSU apartment. While these devices have hundreds, maybe even thousands of free channels, they are limited in content. There's a reason it's free. If you like live sporting events, your choices are extremely limited and probably not what you are wanting to watch. Hulu was the reason I got my first Roku years ago. They had a free service & a pay service that was $8 a month. Now, I don't think the free version even exists and the other is something like $40 a month. When it was $8, your TV shows would be a few days behind the day they aired. I don't know what it is now. I saw something that they were marketing "live" Tv - definitely not gonna be free.

Speaking of free, the other problem with cutting the cord is you have to have a decent internet connection and that usually is provided by a company that also provides TV content and is bundled to be a better deal than just internet alone and then another $50 for Netflix, Hulu, etc. I had internet-only service from the cable company several years ago and it was 2x the price as it would be if I bundled a basic cable TV package with it. I think streaming is getting better and will overcome the live event issues real soon, but it won't be for free. You're just cutting one cord and replacing it with another. Usually the same cord from the same cable company.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom