Sling, roku, etc.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What do you already subscribe to? Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime? Are you already in either the Apple or the Android ecosphere? Or neither? Do you live near a large city where you can use an HD antenna to get over the air HD channels? Are you looking for a solution to watch content on a computer, a TV, or multiple TV's?

Check this page out. It may help as well.
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/10-things-to-consider-before-canceling-cable/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's some info on streaming boxes:

https://www.cnet.com/topics/media-streamers/best-media-streamers/

I have an apple tv and an older Roku. I spent a lot of time ripping and converting a dvd/Blu-ray collection to a home server and have them running through Plex on each device. The Apple TV is nice when paired with my MacBook Pro. I can easily use the tv as a second monitor and play things from YouTube or QuickTime. I also live in BFE and have satellite internet. I recently moved from a 15gb gen 4 service to a 150gb gen 5 service. So for the longest time, streaming servicer were no a real option. So what works for me may not work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have Cox basic (local channels only). I have access to Hulu and Netflix. What I don't have is ESPN. It was annoying last night... Plus my wife wants HGTV back and my daughter wants animal planet. I have high speed internet.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Streaming boxes are cheap and crappy hardware. Your best bet is to get an Amazon Fire device (half the price and a lot better hardware) and you can "side-load" the applications you need to watch whatever you want... whenever you want.

I won't get too in depth on it, but the resources are out there. The FireTV also has Firefox web browser now... so you can use services like USTVNOW.com which provides live streamed television over the web mostly to military service members, but anyone can use it.

If you have an Android Tablet or phone, you can Mirror the screen to most devices like the Roku, FireTV, etc. if you'd rather go that route and then install KODI on the tablet (its in the Google Play Store) for free. With some small configuring of the software, you'd be up and watching movies and TV in no time.

I haven't had any TV service in at least 10 years. I started with XBox Media Center, then Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition and now streaming.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have Cox basic (local channels only). I have access to Hulu and Netflix. What I don't have is ESPN. It was annoying last night... Plus my wife wants HGTV back and my daughter wants animal planet. I have high speed internet.

I'd consider a Roku box, either with or without 4k, to get Netflix and Hulu on the TV. If you have Amazon prime then Amazon video is included. Some of the ESPN channels can be streamed for free but I think the main feed needs a cable or a standalone subscription. You may be SOL with AP and HGTV. I've never had the occasion to see if they stream for free or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have Roku, Amazon Fire, antenna, HD Homerun over-air DVR, PLEX media server, plus a couple streaming services. Oh, and a HUGE plus is to have a friend/family member willing to give you their cable login, so you can stream channels they are subscribed to thru cable.

The Roku boxes are simple to use and respond quickly, but you can't really side load (hack) them for grey area content apps. The Fire is nice because it's just an Android device and you can hack it for all kinds of things, if you are so inclined.

The HD Homerun DVR and plex integrate nicely to DVR over the air content.

Bottom line, you'll probably save some $ in the long run, but to get a lot of the stuff cable offers in one convenient place (although you have to pay for all the crap you never use) you have to be willing to mix and match services and hardware and lose that one-stop convenience. I don't really miss cable, but I have put a good bit of time and effort into getting set up to cut the cord...

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If you have apple products already then I would strongly suggest an Apple TV. I have them and love them. I also have directv Now which has been awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have AT&T U-Verse. The wife wanted it. She likes one click, and she gets A&E, History, "Little Women" is that ,of where ever they live, Is that Brovo?
    All the shows she likes are on channels that can not be streamed. I would go free air, with some type streaming if it was just "I"

Keep in mind I lived for 8 years, with a 110V boosted Antenna in the attic. I now use it when ever the Pay TV goes out. Once a month at times. And any storm. Last tome power was out. I had a gen set up. So TV everyone else's TV was out that lived by me. Last time the AT&T guy came to fix it. Needed a new Modem. He walks in, and says what's wrong it works great! I said hold on! That's The antenna back up. When I switched back over to is non working U-Verse he laughed. He could not believe how clear it was. In fact after he put the new modem in, asked me to see how many channels I got with it. As he wanted to do the same as back up for himself.
    I recommended that no matter what someone has to get a antenna. It did take some time ti get the best picture. I went up, caller someone on the phone. Then moved it around till best location was found. Put a splitter and ran cables everywhere.. Way back when, I had TV bathroom {and phone since i had no cordless ones}
    I like the fact that I can cut the cord and go back any time

Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I need to just keep something on my desktop for threads like this.

I don't have cable, haven't had cable for 5 years. I have an AppleTV in my living room and Roku in my bedroom. I pay for Hulu (lil extra for commercial free, it's worth it) and Netflix. I use family member logins for A&E, hboGO, ESPN, etc. I have a flat antenna that I got for $20 off amazon that gets me all the local channels, with it, I have been able to watch every single Saints game on FOX.

It's worth it. I downgraded my internet to save money so my bills average about $150 total between electric, water, and cable.

If you don't have anyone willing to share their login, I'm pretty sure you can pay for access.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you have apple products already then I would strongly suggest an Apple TV. I have them and love them. I also have directv Now which has been awesome.

Even though they are more expensive, having all apple stuff does tend to simply work well. But I've also heard google's chromecast works pretty well with the android ecosphere. I think back in the day, each box was really better than the others at something. It seems now most of the boxes do most things pretty well and any one's advantage is relatively small. Most of them get most of the streaming apps (netflix, hulu, amazon video, hbo, youtube, etc.

*Please note: that is my uncertified observation.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The new sony tv is app capable (bravia smart tv). What do the devices give me that I don't have now? Are all the channels apps?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I believe so. I haven't tried yet. Netflix was already installed.

If it has the apps you need, the boxes may not add anything for you other than some conveniences. I like the apple tv because I have a macbook. otherwise, I can get plex on my xbox one. I haven't looked but I'm sure I can get other apps (hbo, hulu, etc) on there as well. A lot of the connected stuff covers a lot of stuff to keep you from going elsewhere.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The new sony tv is app capable (bravia smart tv). What do the devices give me that I don't have now? Are all the channels apps?

I have one of those smart TVs in my living room. It has netflix, hulu, hbo and some others already installed. You still need a login for it.

tbone38

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    New Orleans
    I have multiple friends who've cut the cord and gone to this: www.setvnow.com Runs on Amazon Firestick without issue. Killer channel set at very affordable price. I'm set to kill DirecTv at the end of the month and switch over.

Top Bottom