Carry .45 ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • myles

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 17, 2018
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Being very proficient with what you carry is as important as to what you carry. Whatever you carry, learn how to use it, practice often & keep it in good working order.

Agree ^^. I've never understood the debate about which carry caliber to choose. There is no right answer! If you are proficient, comfortable, and confident with what you are holstering every day...then it is perfectly fine to carry. People can argue ballistics and/or capacity all they want...but for me it comes down to walking out the door every morning with something that I am comfortable and confident with.

ca survivor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    Miami, Florida
    .45 ACP defensive ammunition ballistics do not outweight the lesser capacity and increased recoil when compared to 9mm handgun with similar defensive ammunition.

But if you want a fawty five, get a Glock 21 and be done.

lets see even on ball ammo .45ACP 230grs. VS, the best 9mm 147GR HP that might expand, (the .45 won't shrink) I'll stay with the .45ACP is been taking bad guys down since 1906.

ca survivor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    Miami, Florida
    If you are a high round count shooter the HK and Sig are known to be more reliable and need less maintenance than 1911 pistols.

I grew up with 1911s and BHPs and the unreliable 2nd generation S&W pistols, I know how to maintain the 1911, but you have a valid point on maintenance in the 1911.

Revchuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    S&W M&P45 full size 1.0 when I carry a .45, but I'm comfortable with 9x19 or .40...or .38 +p, or .357 Mag. My remaining 1911 (Colt Series 70 Combat Commander) is pretty much relegated to safe queen status. On occasion, I'll carry my S&W M22-4.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I swap it up based on weather/time of year/clothing/event.
    Summertime in a t shirt it’s a Springfield XDs in 45.
    With a light cover garment it’s a Colt New Agent TALO in 45.
    If the event calls for *nice jewelry* it’s a Wilson Combat Professional in 45.
    There is always a spare mag to match in the left pants pocket. And yes, we practice mag changes from the pocket.
    At the river, in the boat, it’s a Bond Arms derringer with 3* 410 shells.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Magnum Research BFR in 45-70 with a chest holster during the winter. Step down to a Ruger Alaska in 454 Casull during the summer months, IWB with a decent belt. I do sometimes swap the BFR for a Desert Eagle in 50ae, only if clothing limited, but this is a .45 thread so we will leave that out. Oh yeah, speed strips in the left pocket, alone due to size and weight. I feel adequately armed with either.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Being very proficient with what you carry is as important as to what you carry. Whatever you carry, learn how to use it, practice often & keep it in good working order.

Agreed. One caliber for the other isn't an "upgrade" or a "step down" with modern ammunition. Situational awareness, weapons proficiency, and a survival mindset are more important than a tenth of a inch of bullet diameter.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Argentine Systema Model 1927 Colt licensed copy of 1911A1. 100% reliable with all ammo, and good accuracy. Will even load, drop hammer and eject empty cases. It looks like hell, occasionally gets some flash rust from sitting in the vehicle safe box this time of year with temperature swings, so I won't feel bad about crawling in the gravel or mud, or carrying it in the rain or dust on an ATV or tractor. Two slim mags in the back pocket give me 22 rounds, and I practice quick mag changes while firing on the range.

I know it well enough to shoot it comfortably, and added Crimson Trace Lazer grips to potentially increase accuracy and additional deterrent to bad guy. The lazer grips cost more than the pistol.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    The full sized 1911 and even the Commander got too heavy for me so I picked up a 45 acp , snub nosed , 5 shot revolver, fixed sights , stainless steel ,double action revolver .
    It's a Taurus model 455...and before you scream Taurus , I bought it in 2004 and have been using it ever since.. No Problems What So Ever. Of all the 1911's I own the 455 is the most accurate ! It shoots tiny groups from that 2 inch barrel that my 1911 Gold Cup is jealous of.
    If you can find one they make a nice concealed carry piece , small , powerful and accurate .
    Gary

CAJUNLAWYER

crusty old bastard
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Iberia Parish
    Shield in .45 makes a good pocket carry. I carry mine and use 230fmj. keep it simple. It's the same size as the 9mm shield so I went bigger. For a smaller pocket gun you can't beat the M&P380 using fmj.

Gamma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018

I would agree, a 1911 gets inconvenient to carry after the novelty wears off.

toyota38

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    Lake Charles Louisiana
    I’ve been carrying a Glock 30 every day for over 5 years in an Alien Gear IWB original leather backed holster. It gets sweaty with me during the summer, dusty while cutting the grass, and is scraped up from crawling around under my truck and wife’s car while changing the oil and it never fails to function. I like my Series 70 Colt, but that would require much more maintenance, and I can’t imagine scraping it on the concrete while working under a auto.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Round for round, .45ACP is better and more forgiving.... but the amount it is better is small. The capacity and weight probably negates the pluses of the .45ACP. Shot placement is king and there are no close seconds.

Sig and HK make a better pistol than Glock. Glock does the job just fine and is cheaper with better aftermarket support.

I think the differences between most carry guns and calibers mentioned is probably small. The only real argument is number of rounds and is it worth it in the small chance you need it.... even if you do, you are even less likely to need extra rounds (Though not impossible that you do need those rounds).

I think as long as you stay .38 Special or better power wise, you will be fine. .380ACP Can work fine with the right ammo, meaning the majority out there isn't adequate. Do your homework.

While not as reliable as the guns mentioned, you could probably get by just fine with a Taurus autoloader, Springfield XD, Ruger, or Kahr as long as the pistol isn't made of pot metal like a Jennings or something.

All that being said: I mostly carry a 5 shot .357 Magnum in steel made by Taurus. It's actually a good gun and I've put quite a few rounds through it. It's easy to conceal. It's got plenty of power for walking in the woods.

When I need to carry something lighter, I have a Smith and Wesson in .38 special that's about half the weight of the Taurus.

Last edited:

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    Round for round, .45ACP is better and more forgiving.... but the amount it is better is small. The capacity and weight probably negates the pluses of the .45ACP. Shot placement is king and there are no close seconds.

Sig and HK make a better pistol than Glock. Glock does the job just fine and is cheaper with better aftermarket support.

I think the differences between most carry guns and calibers mentioned is probably small. The only real argument is number of rounds and is it worth it in the small chance you need it.... even if you do, you are even less likely to need extra rounds (Though not impossible that you do need those rounds).

I think as long as you stay .38 Special or better power wise, you will be fine. .380ACP Can work fine with the right ammo, meaning the majority out there isn't adequate. Do your homework.

While not as reliable as the guns mentioned, you could probably get by just fine with a Taurus autoloader, Springfield XD, Ruger, or Kahr as long as the pistol isn't made of pot metal like a Jennings or something.

All that being said: I mostly carry a 5 shot .357 Magnum in steel made by Taurus. It's actually a good gun and I've put quite a few rounds through it. It's easy to conceal. It's got plenty of power for walking in the woods.

When I need to carry something lighter, I have a Smith and Wesson in .38 special that's about half the weight of the Taurus.

I second what my friend Gus says above. I personally favor a compact or subcompact 9mm over other calibers for the extra rounds. The preference on size is just a requirement for concealment.

That being said, I'm looking to purchase a 357 very soon to be able to carry to/from work a little easier. I work at a TWIC site and there's a strict no weapons policy, but they can be checked in at the gate unloaded. I can't bring myself to do that daily with an autoloader.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom