Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
    *Banned*

User Info Menu

What's the most training you've received to date?

How much training have you received since you started carrying a firearm?

SSST Mad Scientist

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leadslinger972 View Post
    The most training I've received to date is all of the training I've had since I was 8yrs old. Not quite sure how I could have received less, but that's definitely the most.

Marksman

User Info Menu

(Since I’ve started to CC a handgun)

If asking about paid training from instructors? I’ve taken 3 handgun classes.

If asking about training from people more experienced than me? I’d say hundreds of hours.
    Last edited by bigtattoo79; January 10th, 2018 at 02:00 PM.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

~50 hours formal training in the past two years. Goal is to do ~75 hours this year.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Buy/Sell:
    In search of used locks (padlocks, doors, etc). Click here for info

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    ~50 hours formal training in the past two years. Goal is to do ~75 hours this year.
    That’s good stuff. Do you agree that formal training pays off in the long run? Was the 50hrs all handgun?

*Banned*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigtattoo79 View Post
    (Since I’ve started to CC a handgun)

If asking about paid training from instructors? I’ve taken 3 handgun classes.

If asking about training from people more experienced than me? I’d say hundreds of hours.
    Formal training would be attending a class.
    Informal training would be from more experienced people you may know personally.

While I have more informal training than formal, I'd like to bump up the number of classes I take per year. Currently I've taken five classes per year, which equates to about 45-50 hours per year.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Formal training would be attending a class.
    Informal training would be from more experienced people you may know personally.

While I have more informal training than formal, I'd like to bump up the number of classes I take per year. Currently I've taken five classes per year, which equates to about 45-50 hours per year.
    I’m gonna get in at least 4 classes this year. Next year I plan to bump that up as I should have more time in 2019.

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

That’s good stuff. Do you agree that formal training pays off in the long run? Was the 50hrs all handgun?
    It was all pistol.

It is absolutely worth it.

This year my goal is to take two or three force on force classes, and more advanced pistol classes. I also am strongly considering starting combatives again (krav and BJJ likely) and doing three to five hours per week of that.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Buy/Sell:
    In search of used locks (padlocks, doors, etc). Click here for info

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinBR View Post
    It was all pistol.

It is absolutely worth it.

This year my goal is to take two or three force on force classes, and more advanced pistol classes. I also am strongly considering starting combatives again (krav and BJJ likely) and doing three to five hours per week of that.
    Cool. Iíve only taken pistol but wanna do some FoF stuff. At some point I wanna take some carbine classes but thatís not the priority right now.

*Banned*

User Info Menu

Cool. I’ve only taken pistol but wanna do some FoF stuff. At some point I wanna take some carbine classes but that’s not the priority right now.
    VATA and Advantage Group have the most courses during the year. NOLATAC has had a bunch of big names come through last year. Most notably, they had Bob Vogel come do a class. This year they have Bill Blowers, John McPhee, and Kyle Defoor coming down here.