What's the most training you've received to date?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'm right at 100 hours over the past 5 years.

Gunfighter 1-2 and medical with Advantage
    Tac pistol 1, Advanced Concealed carry, intro to carbine, and Tac carbine 1 with VATA
    A week with Mike Seeklander for competitive pistol.
    A one day private group class here in Laffy.

Going to a Stoeger class next month and realize that I badly need to add some combatives this year. I also completely agree that the more I learn the less I realize I know...

xduser504

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2017
    Chalmette,La
    Are there any courses that cost under the $100 mark in the New Orleans area? Seems to me that most courses are fairly expensive, I could be wrong. I would love to go to some, but really dissuaded by the high costs. I know you pay for what you get but it almost seems better to just spend the money on more range trips. Any input?

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Are there any courses that cost under the $100 mark in the New Orleans area? Seems to me that most courses are fairly expensive, I could be wrong. I would love to go to some, but really dissuaded by the high costs. I know you pay for what you get but it almost seems better to just spend the money on more range trips. Any input?

There are courses in the $100-150 range often. Every now and then, there are courses below $100 at a special rate.

The next class I'll be attending is right around $450 to go for the day.

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    My wife and I did Intro to Tac Pistol in December '16 with VATA, and a private with Nick @ Phobos Solutions, along with their 'Pistol Skills Proficiency' (drills only) course ($100). We'll be doing another course with Phobos August 5th at NOLATAC, which has become their home range.

IMHO, if you are smart, and carry a gun, formal training should be at the top of your list! Owning lots of guns, does not equate to truly knowing how to use them. I shot my first IDPA match on Sunday, just to see what it was like, not because I'm good. I had no idea what to expect, but it was so much fun, I will definitely be doing this as much as I can. My primary interest is improving my pistol skills for CCW, and the IDPA revolves around that type of shooting, highly recommended. NOLA Shooting Sports has a monthly match at NOLATAC, I can't imagine anyone not liking it.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Only class other then CC classes for my CCW was Gunfighter 1 that I took took several years ago. I am currently in a pretty intensive training program at work to earn a Senior Reactor Operator license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. That will be over the first week in August. After that I was considering taking Gunfighter 1 again with Advantage Group.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Only class other then CC classes for my CCW was Gunfighter 1 that I took took several years ago. I am currently in a pretty intensive training program at work to earn a Senior Reactor Operator license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. That will be over the first week in August. After that I was considering taking Gunfighter 1 again with Advantage Group.

You should take GF 2 as well - great classes!

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    I'm right at 100 hours over the past 5 years.

Gunfighter 1-2 and medical with Advantage
    Tac pistol 1, Advanced Concealed carry, intro to carbine, and Tac carbine 1 with VATA
    A week with Mike Seeklander for competitive pistol.
    A one day private group class here in Laffy.

Going to a Stoeger class next month and realize that I badly need to add some combatives this year. I also completely agree that the more I learn the less I realize I know...

What did you think about the advanced Concealed Carry VATA course? this is one i've had my eye on recently.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    It was good. This is especially true if you have only been to intro classes where you aren't allowed to draw from concealment. Once the gun is out shooting is shooting, but actually having to draw and reload while dealing with cover garments in different scenarios is beneficial. The instructors had a number of suggestions on holster type, wear positions, and other user tips. We also did a bit of low light/night shooting which I had not done before. I would recommend going.

Cowboy55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2018
    Baton Rouge LA
    Good training lasts a lifetime

The only training I've ever had was back in the mid-1980s during weekly "fun" matches at an Atlanta metro range. The guy leading the matches was Claude Werner, who was a veteran. Claude set up IPSC/IDPA scenarios and taught us many skills: proper aiming, correct grips, use of cover, weak-hand shooting, reloading on the clock, etc.

I believe that was the start of Claude's training career. Today he can be found at: https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/

My suggestion for those of you looking for inexpensive training is two-fold: read the books by the master shooters like Ayoob, Cooper, Enos, etc.; and attend local IPSC/IDPA fun matches. You never know who might be leading those matches.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The only training I've ever had was back in the mid-1980s during weekly "fun" matches at an Atlanta metro range. The guy leading the matches was Claude Werner, who was a veteran. Claude set up IPSC/IDPA scenarios and taught us many skills: proper aiming, correct grips, use of cover, weak-hand shooting, reloading on the clock, etc.

I believe that was the start of Claude's training career. Today he can be found at: https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/

My suggestion for those of you looking for inexpensive training is two-fold: read the books by the master shooters like Ayoob, Cooper, Enos, etc.; and attend local IPSC/IDPA fun matches. You never know who might be leading those matches.

I would suggest the exact opposite of what is suggested above. Reading books, internet articles, and etc creates bad habits. You can watch 1000 youtube videos on how to ride a bike, but it definitely doesn't translate into the ability to jump on a bike, balance yourself, and ride forwards.

Furthermore, skills such as using a weapon in a self-defensive manner are very minute and will be tough to pick up on by individual practice without the aid of a veteran instructor. Simply watching or participating in shooting competitions does not translate to actionable skills like attending actual classes would. Oh, and many competitive shooters lack self-defense training and do not do as well as someone with specific training has.

Cowboy55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2018
    Baton Rouge LA
    I would suggest the exact opposite of what is suggested above. Reading books, internet articles, and etc creates bad habits. You can watch 1000 youtube videos on how to ride a bike, but it definitely doesn't translate into the ability to jump on a bike, balance yourself, and ride forwards.

Furthermore, skills such as using a weapon in a self-defensive manner are very minute and will be tough to pick up on by individual practice without the aid of a veteran instructor. Simply watching or participating in shooting competitions does not translate to actionable skills like attending actual classes would. Oh, and many competitive shooters lack self-defense training and do not do as well as someone with specific training has.

Let me clarify my post. I said read books by the master shooters like Ayoob and Cooper, NOT the Internet. Ayoob and Cooper are/were experienced trainers and you can learn a lot from their books.

But the Internet including YouTube is a crap shoot. Inexperienced shooters should not rely on the accuracy of the info presented there.

Second, I said attend fun matches that are run by IPSC/IDPA or even SASS members, NOT individual practice. Many skilled shooters attend these matches and are very willing to help newbie shooters learn correct gun handling.

Individual practice is very important but learn the basics first, from books and fun matches; this is the inexpensive way tolearn.

If you can afford training, absolutely do it.

And always, be safe and have fun shooting!

butaford

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    Lake Charles, LA
    Going to take intro to tactical carbine and tactical carbine 1 at VATA later this year. For the guys who have taken the class, what equipment do you recommend for the classes. I have guns, what I don't have is chest rig, holster, belt, etc. Dont want to go with the wrong gear or buy a bunch of stuff I dont need.

Top Bottom