What's the most training you've received to date?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    How much training have you received since you started carrying a firearm?

(Since I’ve started to CC a handgun)

If asking about paid training from instructors? I’ve taken 3 handgun classes.

If asking about training from people more experienced than me? I’d say hundreds of hours.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    ~50 hours formal training in the past two years. Goal is to do ~75 hours this year.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    ~50 hours formal training in the past two years. Goal is to do ~75 hours this year.

That’s good stuff. Do you agree that formal training pays off in the long run? Was the 50hrs all handgun?

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    (Since I’ve started to CC a handgun)

If asking about paid training from instructors? I’ve taken 3 handgun classes.

If asking about training from people more experienced than me? I’d say hundreds of hours.

Formal training would be attending a class.
    Informal training would be from more experienced people you may know personally.

While I have more informal training than formal, I'd like to bump up the number of classes I take per year. Currently I've taken five classes per year, which equates to about 45-50 hours per year.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Formal training would be attending a class.
    Informal training would be from more experienced people you may know personally.

While I have more informal training than formal, I'd like to bump up the number of classes I take per year. Currently I've taken five classes per year, which equates to about 45-50 hours per year.

I’m gonna get in at least 4 classes this year. Next year I plan to bump that up as I should have more time in 2019.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    That’s good stuff. Do you agree that formal training pays off in the long run? Was the 50hrs all handgun?

It was all pistol.

It is absolutely worth it.

This year my goal is to take two or three force on force classes, and more advanced pistol classes. I also am strongly considering starting combatives again (krav and BJJ likely) and doing three to five hours per week of that.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    It was all pistol.

It is absolutely worth it.

This year my goal is to take two or three force on force classes, and more advanced pistol classes. I also am strongly considering starting combatives again (krav and BJJ likely) and doing three to five hours per week of that.

Cool. I’ve only taken pistol but wanna do some FoF stuff. At some point I wanna take some carbine classes but that’s not the priority right now.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Cool. I’ve only taken pistol but wanna do some FoF stuff. At some point I wanna take some carbine classes but that’s not the priority right now.

VATA and Advantage Group have the most courses during the year. NOLATAC has had a bunch of big names come through last year. Most notably, they had Bob Vogel come do a class. This year they have Bill Blowers, John McPhee, and Kyle Defoor coming down here.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    3 classes of *advanced pistol* with Gordon Hutchinson for church carry certificate.
    3 classes with Advantage Group - Pistol 1, Carbine 1 and Shotgun 1.
    1 refresher clinic with Advantage Group at FRC on *Draw from concealment*.
    Big thing is to practice drills that were presented as often as possible, if you don’t use it you loose it. Most ranges don’t allow the gun handling/techniques that are beneficial for self defense. Helps having acreage and a home range.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    3 classes of *advanced pistol* with Gordon Hutchinson for church carry certificate.
    3 classes with Advantage Group - Pistol 1, Carbine 1 and Shotgun 1.
    1 refresher clinic with Advantage Group at FRC on *Draw from concealment*.
    Big thing is to practice drills that were presented as often as possible, if you don’t use it you loose it. Most ranges don’t allow the gun handling/techniques that are beneficial for self defense. Helps having acreage and a home range.

It looks like I will be doing 2 or 3 Advantage Group classes in the coming months.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Qualifying with my local sheriff department for coroner duty years ago and a few trips to Thunder Ranch over the years is about it

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    The correct answer to this is, “Never Enough”. Shooting is a degrading skill and has to be constantly practiced correctly.

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    The correct answer to this is, *Never Enough*. Shooting is a degrading skill and has to be constantly practiced correctly.

Yep! This Clearly Demonstrates the saying..."It's what you learn after you know it all that is most important!"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom