Tammany Trace Carry: political action version

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    As much as I like watching the Three Stooges and acting like a guffawing buffoon now and then, sometimes one must at least try to be productive.

In that vein, this thread is to discuss a way to challenge the rights chilling, illegal ordinance that prohibits firearms on the Tammany Trace.

Please refer to NolaRadio's original thread here if you are unfamiliar.
    https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?171361-Tammany-Trace-carry

I'll start by proposing we ask the sheriff, three police depts, and the parish government via letter about the enforceability of the ordinance.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Maybe send him an online petition? That way lots of people can sign it. So they see that a whole bunch are against it.

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    LSA Seeks AG Opinion

This was posted by LSA to the Abita Springs alderman's FB post, but it seems broad enough to cover the trace too. Hopefully the AG will respond to the LSA.

LSA_post180113.png

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    Parish Council Meeting Feb 1 2018

Time will tell whether this is related to their rule about carrying on the trace or not, but this appears on the agenda for the Feb 1 2018 Parish Council meeting.

"5. Ord. Cal. No. 5938 - Ordinance to Amend the Parish Code of Ordinances, Chapter 30 Parks, Recreation and Scenic Neighborhoods, Article XIV Tammany Trace, Sec. 30-371 Rules and Regulations."

If nothing else, Trace rules and regs is on the agenda which under the St Tammany Parish Home Rule Charter makes it open for public comment.

View attachment 180201AgendaTTrace.pdf

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    Ordinance for Introduction

Thanks for posting. I'll try to make this meeting.

I'm surprised. The ordinance on the agenda for introduction on Feb 1 IS about the Trace prohibition of firearms. The list of prohibitions is being revised.

Here's the surprising prohibition change:
    TO: Carrying or discharging of fireworks.

HOWEVER, there is a new added portion that looks like totally unnecessary weasel words. It goes like this: "The carrying of firearms on the Tammany Trace is governed by State and Federal law."

The ordinance for introduction is attached.View attachment 180201OrdTTrace.pdf

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    HOWEVER, there is a new added portion that looks like totally unnecessary weasel words. It goes like this: "The carrying of firearms on the Tammany Trace is governed by State and Federal law."
    View attachment 75645

Yeah, it's a little hard to understand why they are including that change. To speculate, they might be including it for the following reasons:
    1: To express the school zone and public building prohibitions are in play or,
    2: To try to explain to the gun fearing/hating sophisticates of St. Tammany that it is out of their hands.
    I'm still going to attend to see how it plays out and testify if necessary. It sounds like they have already accepted the change due to acknowledgement of state preemption. I'm glad it did not come down to a lawsuit dragging some poor deputy along that was ordered to enforce the ordinance.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Yeah, it's a little hard to understand why they are including that change. To speculate, they might be including it for the following reasons:
    1: To express the school zone and public building prohibitions are in play or,
    2: To try to explain to the gun fearing/hating sophisticates of St. Tammany that it is out of their hands.
    I'm still going to attend to see how it plays out and testify if necessary. It sounds like they have already accepted the change due to acknowledgement of state preemption. I'm glad it did not come down to a lawsuit dragging some poor deputy along that was ordered to enforce the ordinance.

I'd bet it's the latter.

The people of St Tammany, especially the women, are stupid.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    I don't buy the A.S. Alderman's downplay that she was just doing her job bringing forth constituent complaints, especially when they were discussing the general public's carry in "governmental zones" whatever that is.
    Might as well allow she might have had a coming to Jesus moment. Everyone is entitled to realizing their faulty reasoning. It does not set me at ease to not keep that recording of the meeting as it might be important if she goes for state level political ambitions. File it away in our backup hard drives boys.

Last edited:

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Thanks guys for keeping us up to speed with this. I do hit the Farmers Market and the Trace occasionally. As unnecessary as it feels to carry in the relative safety of Abita I refuse to let my guard down.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my firearm.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    If you do, be sure to fill out a yellow speaker card before the meeting starts. Otherwise it could be introduced along with the rest of the "consent calendar" with zero discussion.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll probably have to email written testimony to my representative councilman instead of testifying. Being an employed, responsible adult is sometimes hard to balance with the eternal vigilance necessary to protect our freedoms.

I hope to be at the meeting this week to see how this plays out. Hopefully it passes with everything else on the consent calendar with no discussions and no objections.

Its good to hear another will attend. I look forward to seeing you there.

Top Bottom