MISSING: Mosin Nagant.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theRobot

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    Not sure where to post this, but if you or someone you know has happened upon a Mosin in the last 3 weeks, dated from today. Please PM if you think it important.

Long story short, the SO lent her Mosin to her Grand mother, me suggesting against this idea the whole time. Her Grand mother then proceeded to allow someone who was staying with her temporarily to use it to go hunting. Turns out this individual was a prohibited person, involving drug production. Now the gun is "missing," with claims of it being set against a tree, and he forgot where he was in the woods. We find out after the fact, he was going to acreage behind Oschner Medical Center (Again, one more moment where I'm looking at my SO with an "I told you this was a terrible idea." look.)

It's a numbers matching Mosin Nagant M91/30, Round receiver, very good bore. Livingston Sheriff has been contacted, report has been made. The officer noted that due to the circumstances, it had to be input as Missing, but he attached all the details with a likelihood of it being stolen. The Serial # was ran, and he said it hadn't been pawned. So I'm hoping someone just happened upon it. If you know a buddy that found a Mosin in the woods, please PM me.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Too much dumb... So the "SO"s grandmother SPECIFICALLY asked to "borrow" your Mosin? Then SHE loans it to a random person who just so happens to be prohibited from possessing a firearm? Then it turns up missing? You'd better play the lottery this weekend because with that many "JUST SO HAPPENS"... maybe you'll just so happen to hit it big!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'd write that one off as gone. Grandma owes you a rifle. I'd suggest a new Kimber Montana in its place. Yes, its more expensive but do you know how smooth an action gets in 80 years? Now you have to start over!

theRobot

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    The obvious question: what did grandma need a Mosin for?
    She said that, it would be loaned to her to let someone use, obviously for hunting season. It had bad idea written all over it.
    ETA: She specifically asked if I had a hunting rifle, I said none that I would lend. She asked for a .30-06, I said all I have is an M1, and that's not getting loaned, which made her upset at me because I wouldn't loan anything. I said under no circumstance would I ever loan a gun to her(end of the world included). I don't loan guns.
    I said, you can buy one, full invested price, that way if it's lost or something happens to it, it's your loss, and not mine.

After I said no, the SO continued to talk to her and eventually asked about loaning the Mosin. I told her it technically had collectors value, but it was hers to do with as she pleases.

You should post the serial number
    It's in the report, I figure if someone PMs me, I can tell them the number to confirm.
    If you think it's better here, I can post it here.

Too much dumb... So the "SO"s grandmother SPECIFICALLY asked to "borrow" your Mosin? Then SHE loans it to a random person who just so happens to be prohibited from possessing a firearm? Then it turns up missing? You'd better play the lottery this weekend because with that many "JUST SO HAPPENS"... maybe you'll just so happen to hit it big!
    Pretty good at the sarcasm thing, part of it I explained above. I knew it was dumb to start, which is why I said no.

Get grandma, the lender, and a cattle prod. Keep hitting both until the someone magically knows where it is.
    That's what I told my SO, to let her grandma know the going price for the rifle, and that's what we're owed. Replacement, because it was her responsibility when it happened.

Someone's probably real happy about the deal they got on an all matching mosin...too bad they won't be happy once they find out it's stolen. Hope it turns up!
    I just don't want to become "sporterized" or "bubba'd" because of some dumb drug head that thinks the barrel is too long.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    "I need to borrow a gun for someone else"

I have not heard that one before, kinda like subletting an apartment. The thing about loaning anything is that the borrower does not have enough money to just buy/rent the needed item, so they will not be able to afford to fix/replace it WHEN they break it...

I hope it comes back to you, I will be on the lookout.

Not sure how old grandma is, but unless your SO is in the will and there is a sizeable sum to be inherited, I would cut ties with her. Does not sound like she is firing on all cylinders.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom