A better cup of coffee?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Since a friend introduced me to French press coffee I’ve researched and learned more about coffee than I ever thought I could. Kinda like reloading I guess.

I started by purchasing a burr grinder and a French press a friend gave me (I had no clue what it really was at the time). That press broke and I picked up a stainless one that works really well.

I’ve now gone through several different whole bean varieties and found that community coffee private reserve Columbian is really good and easy to find. Even Starbucks house blend is good.

If you've never had them, A fresh ground bean from most any brand is a step above buying ground packaged coffee.

Any others here grind your own? Or maybe roast your own?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Tboy when you right you right. I grew up drinking the A&P 6 O’clock (or was it 8 O’clock?) coffee. Mom would run the beans through the coarse grinder in the store and hand crank a finely ground dose at a time at home. I do mine in an electric grinder, whole medium roasted beans when I can, but even if I buy ground coffee. That fine grind just releases all the flavor.
    I have never used a press but you got me talked into it you.
    Thanks for posting

Last edited:

West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    Have been toying with the idea of moving to a French press. Tried it at my parents house over the holidays, seemed better than my crap keurig. Don't get into the bean that much, maybe a road I research in the future.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    You can buy a glass French press pretty cheap. They break, that’s why I moved to the stainless one. Picked up a double walled (like yeti cups) on amazon for under $25. Fresh ground beans and the press really lets you taste what coffee was meant to taste like.

I’ve got a collection of vintage aluminum percolators and I’ve tried them with fresh beans, but the French press is still better.

There a small learning curve with it and it’s definitely not the quickest way but man is it good.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    If you appreciate a better made cup of coffee than skip over the press and go directly to a vacuum pot. French presses are good but you're still at the mercy of the water temp put in and leaves a good bit of sediment. Vacuum pots won't let you overheat the water and with depending on the strainer let the oils pass without the sediment load.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If you appreciate a better made cup of coffee than skip over the press and go directly to a vacuum pot. French presses are good but you're still at the mercy of the water temp put in and leaves a good bit of sediment. Vacuum pots won't let you overheat the water and with depending on the strainer let the oils pass without the sediment load.

Interesting....might just give it a try!

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I went to a french press years ago after watching the "History of Coffee" on the history channel. They discussed brewing in part of the show and the expert said that the french press was the best method to extract all the flavor with the cleanest taste. I have to agree.

Now I have not gotten into grinding. I typically get up well earlier than everyone else and didn't want to make a bunch of racket waking the house. Do you guys grind and brew immediately, or can you grind a batch and store a few days worth without loosing the flavor benefit? If so, how do you store it?

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    I too grew up on A&P 8 O'clock coffee in NJ. Great memories.
    French presses require a very coarse grind to produce a good cup of coffee. That keeps the screen from clogging and produces a unique thick, grainy cup of joe.

The vacuum pot is a show-stopper. Run one in front of a bunch of scientists, and watch the ensuing discussion.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i used to be a coffee snob, ive paid $35 for a 6oz cup of kopi luwak coffee, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak . it tasted like community with chickory.
    i also used to order green blue mountain coffee beeans at $20/lb, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_Blue_Mountain_Coffee , and green kona single plantation for $40/lb https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kona_coffee , and roast it myself, immediately before grinding and brewing.
    the best coffee you will ever have is fresh roast(within 2 hrs of roasting).

if im doing a single cup i like arobie aeropress(nearly espresso) https://www.worldaeropresschampionship.com/ (see link for recipes).
    i am not a fan of sbux or community coffees.
    at sams club there is a brand, pablos pride, great strong flavor, no bitterness or burnt flavor like sbux. its $12ish for around 2lbs. also american owned plantation.

my favorite brand is tullys, but its very hard to find down here.
    i wish kickass coffee would reopen up down here too.

if you need a caffiene kick, try deathwish https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/collections/valhalla-java , i prefer the vahala java over the standard deathwish.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I'll have to check out the Pablo's stuff.

How did you roast your beans? Oven or pan? I've seen some homage roasters that are pretty interesting and then some doing it in a cast iron pan over the stove top.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    i used to be a coffee snob, ive paid $35 for a 6oz cup of kopi luwak coffee, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak . it tasted like community with chickory.
    i also used to order green blue mountain coffee beeans at $20/lb, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_Blue_Mountain_Coffee , and green kona single plantation for $40/lb https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kona_coffee , and roast it myself, immediately before grinding and brewing.
    the best coffee you will ever have is fresh roast(within 2 hrs of roasting).

if im doing a single cup i like arobie aeropress(nearly espresso) https://www.worldaeropresschampionship.com/ (see link for recipes).
    i am not a fan of sbux or community coffees.
    at sams club there is a brand, pablos pride, great strong flavor, no bitterness or burnt flavor like sbux. its $12ish for around 2lbs. also american owned plantation.

my favorite brand is tullys, but its very hard to find down here.
    i wish kickass coffee would reopen up down here too.

if you need a caffiene kick, try deathwish https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/collections/valhalla-java , i prefer the vahala java over the standard deathwish.

Currently in the sandbox... Death wish is the go to... We even succeeded in hooking a young innocent soldier on it... But damn it I need to order some more lol

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Currently in the sandbox... Death wish is the go to... We even succeeded in hooking a young innocent soldier on it... But damn it I need to order some more lol

had some buds that deployed a few years after i did, they got a big crate from deathwish.

we went to buy bulk at tullys in seattle(rigt by ft, lewis, ) before deployment, and they gave us 4 25lb burlap bags of fresh roasted beans.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My wife is a Barista and was for some time a Barista Trainer. We have all that junk ya need as well as fixings.
    I really like the dark coffee. We have about 8 or so pounds on hand, in bean form. I get her to fresh grind a pound and put it a a container for use.
    It gets used quick enough.
    As much as she can do I still like it black, or if fancy as I get Cafe' Ole

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    I'll second the Death Wish. For robusta beans, it makes a surprisingly smooth cup of coffee. Brought some in to work. Folks loved it, not to mention the big caffeine kick.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    After you guys make it what do you do? Drink it black?

I'm to the point where I just drink mine with a shot of 2% milk, no sweeteners or sugar......8-O'clock whole bean that I grind....but I just have a conventional coffee maker -- I would like to try the French Press method...

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    After you guys make it what do you do? Drink it black?

I'm to the point where I just drink mine with a shot of 2% milk, no sweeteners or sugar......8-O'clock whole bean that I grind....but I just have a conventional coffee maker -- I would like to try the French Press method...

Ive not gone to drinking it black yet. Still use honey or sugar and a little creamer.

I’ve been around a lot of old plant workers over the years that will gulp down a black cup of coffee that’s been sitting there cooking in a pot for an hour and never bat an eye. I think they’ve lost their taste buds. Or souls. Hard to tell which.

If you’ve got a grinder you just need a course grind and a $20 press and you’re in business.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Ive not gone to drinking it black yet. Still use honey or sugar and a little creamer.

I’ve been around a lot of old plant workers over the years that will gulp down a black cup of coffee that’s been sitting there cooking in a pot for an hour and never bat an eye. I think they’ve lost their taste buds. Or souls. Hard to tell which.

If you’ve got a grinder you just need a course grind and a $20 press and you’re in business.
    Haha! That’s a riot Tboy!
    Ordered me a press last night, looked like a decent one made from stainless and had some good reviews. Thanks for the info and thanks to the coffee gurus on here giving me some brand names to throw around!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom