Who cut the cord?? Looking for a good outdoor antenna to catch stations out of BR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Looking at outdoor antennas to catch VHF Hi/Uhf television broadcasts out of Baton Rouge..Lots of antennas out there with some optimistic claims and want some real input from actual users of these things. Already doing streaming and only interested in hearing from folks who are using outdoor antennas. Thanks a bunch as always!!

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I put an outdoor antenna in my attic. Our restrictions will not allow outside antennas. I am about 20 miles from downtown and I get quite a few channels. There are a few websites to tell you which direction to point the antenna to.

Last edited:

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I have a marine antenna outside my house in St Amant and get all the local channels, at the camp in I have a 20 yr old yagi antenna on a 30 ft pole and all the local channels also.
    Wingate

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have AT&T U-Verse. The wife wanted it. She likes one click, and she gets A&E, History, "Little Women" is that ,of where ever they live, Is that Brovo?
    All the shows she likes are on channels that can not be streamed. I would go free air, with some type streaming if it was just "I"
    Keep in mind I lived for 8 years, with a 110V boosted Antenna in the attic. I now use it when ever the Pay TV goes out. Once a month at times. And any storm. Last tome power was out. I had a gen set up. So TV everyone else's TV was out that lived by me. Last time the AT&T guy came to fix it. Needed a new Modem. He walks in, and says what's wrong it works great! I said hold on! That's The antenna back up. When I switched back over to is non working U-Verse he laughed. He could not believe how clear it was. In fact after he put the new modem in, asked me to see how many channels I got with it. As he wanted to do the same as back up for himself.
    I recommended that no matter what someone has to get a antenna. It did take some time ti get the best picture. I went up, caller someone on the phone. Then moved it around till best location was found. Put a spliter and ran cables everywhere.. Way back when, I had TV bathroom {and phone since i had no cordless ones} I left it that way when i did the remodel.
    If ya go here and put in ya zip code you will see what ya get
    http://www.tvguide.com/listings/
    I like the fact that I can cut the cord and go back any time

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Can't do the attic install due to having a metal roof....I have a FM antenna there for better reception but if it was outside it would be a LOT better. Doing some research today it looks like I might go with a directional as from Galvez the local transmitter antennas will be in a 60 degree cone from my house. I plan on going up no more than 20 feet with whatever I end up with. With the directionals some say they are good with a 90 degree cone and others say they are only good for like 20-30 degrees. I need to chat with some of the reps i guess to get the scoop..90 seems pretty wide..

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Can't do the attic install due to having a metal roof....I have a FM antenna there for better reception but if it was outside it would be a LOT better. Doing some research today it looks like I might go with a directional as from Galvez the local transmitter antennas will be in a 60 degree cone from my house. I plan on going up no more than 20 feet with whatever I end up with. With the directionals some say they are good with a 90 degree cone and others say they are only good for like 20-30 degrees. I need to chat with some of the reps i guess to get the scoop..90 seems pretty wide..

Add a fake chimney, etc. to the roof made of wood or vinyl? Put the antenna in there?

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    the marine antenna outside my house is on a 16 ft pole and is a 360deg and you are closer to BR then me you will not need much.
    It is like a newer RV antenna like a plate
    Wingate

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    When TV first changed over from analog to digital, I went to Radio Shack and purchased a digital rabbit ears antenna for the TV. I've used it in a relatively remote area of AL, and it works okay. Signal strength from most of the local channels varies considerably during the day, but is it workable.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have a old antenna that I got out of my old neighbor's barn that she was throwing away. That was probably 10 years ago and put it up at my place. I got all the local channels from Baton Rouge great and I'm almost in East Feliciana parish in EBR. I just never told my TV that they were digital signals now. I loaned it to a friend in Denham Springs that flooded and living in a Fema trailer and still working great.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    After a lightening strike on my old antennae I tried a Channel Master 100 directional unit. https://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_HDTV_Outdoor_TV_Antenna_p/cm-2020.htm
    I live near I-12 and Hwy 190 and am happy with the results. With an amp I receive all the New Orleans channels and great HD where it's available. FWIW I have not tried the Gulf Coast or BR channels. My unit is almost 30 feet high. I'm pleased with it.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have a old antenna that I got out of my old neighbor's barn that she was throwing away. That was probably 10 years ago and put it up at my place. I got all the local channels from Baton Rouge great and I'm almost in East Feliciana parish in EBR. I just never told my TV that they were digital signals now. I loaned it to a friend in Denham Springs that flooded and living in a Fema trailer and still working great.

The Antenna is picking up what signal is sent out. Them stating that it is this is a digital or other things is silly. Even a simple screw on the back of TV that you sit next to TV will get great signals if it had a 110v booster. I recommend getting one that has one or adding one
    The thing that did best for me was to put it were I had the best signal. I had the TV's on and hooked up and moved it around till we got the very best. I called on phone since in attic and found best spot as well as what way to turn it

Last edited:

tun_o_matic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Walker, LA
    I have one that I got on Amazon. Around $30-35. Pick up New Orleans sometimes and Baton Rouge. There are channels broadcasts that aren't on cable. I used two sections of chain-link fence pole. The horizontal poles at the top of the fence that runs between the posts. They were 10 ft and cost about $10 each from lowes. One pole inserts into the other and that smaller part fit into the antenna mount. I'm in the Walker area. https://www.amazon.com/TV-Antenna-A...782972&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=tv+antenna&psc=1

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    The Antenna is picking up what signal is sent out. Them stating that it is this is a digital or other things is silly. Even a simple screw on the back of TV that you sit next to TV will get great signals if it had a 110v booster. I recommend getting one that has one or adding one
    The thing that did best for me was to put it were I had the best signal. I had the TV's on and hooked up and moved it around till we got the very best. I called on phone since in attic and found best spot as well as what way to turn it

I know the antenna doesn't know what the signal is that why I said I didn't tell the TV it was digital.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Thanks guys for the inputs...after giving myself headaches reading reviews and looking at some technical info I think I"m going to try a 29.00 Channelmaster directional Stealthtenna 50 and see how it does maybe 15-20 feet up without an amp..If I need it can add it. Some of the stuff out there is all over the place quality and review wise..We'll find out how this one is.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    1st time i see an open box little TV cheap I am gonna toss one in the bathroom.
    It is already pre-wired from many years ago. When stuff was on TV and ya had small kids, Or she just wanted to soak {prune}
    I left it in place when I did the remodel
    Keep in mind, On my other TV's I get stuff that is not on pay TV. WWL has 4.1 ya get but a 4.2 same for WDSU 6. and WVUE 8 as well as a few more that shows old stuff I like. I have a picture from last week when i Tossed that TP holder in the bath and told her I dropped a bomb in the bathroom. She waited 30 and went in

Attachments

• P1010006.jpg
      P1010006.jpg
      235.6 KB · Views: 98
    Last edited:

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    This is an indoor antenna, and I have it taped to my window right now, but I get ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and something called Bounce.

Watching the Saints game on it right now. It was $16.99 when I got it. It doesn't look like they have anymore in stock but its definitely worth the money to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GGAIIQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Top Bottom