New loophole notaSBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I got no answers. Mostly due to the fact that the article doesn’t really give much info on the gun. But yeah, as to all matters involving the ATF, we will just have to wait and see.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Must have something to do with the rifling. I would like to hear from JCypress on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    After a bit of reading, here's a guess that stands out. It's a definitions game.

Machine gun - Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

Rifle - a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

In binary mode, there are two separate trigger functions with each pull of the trigger. Each single function of the trigger results in not more than 1 shot, making it not a machine gun. In binary mode, 2 shots come out between trigger pulls, making it not a rifle.

A potential issue with that guess is the binary trigger can be "made safe" after one round has been fired.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    According to some comments it is classified as a firearm because it has a barrel shorter than 16" but an overalll length of over 26" so it is not a rifle and not a machine gun just a firearm so therefore the SBR teerm does not apply to it therefore no stamp needed. I don't know I am all for people figuring things out to get what we want but I wouldn't want to be the test case. Also if the stock is adjustable does it become illegal if the stock is shortened or is it just a max length thing and then you can adjust it however you want. If you can't adjus tthe stock I can just imagine the LOP on that thing would be ridiculous.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    According to some comments it is classified as a firearm because it has a barrel shorter than 16" but an overalll length of over 26" so it is not a rifle and not a machine gun just a firearm so therefore the SBR teerm does not apply to it therefore no stamp needed. I don't know I am all for people figuring things out to get what we want but I wouldn't want to be the test case. Also if the stock is adjustable does it become illegal if the stock is shortened or is it just a max length thing and then you can adjust it however you want. If you can't adjus tthe stock I can just imagine the LOP on that thing would be ridiculous.

As I understand the definitions, as soon as you put a stock on it, it is designed to be fired from the shoulder and it would be classified as a rifle. There is no length restriction or requirement in the definition so playing with those shouldn't remove it from the rifle designation. So a shorter barrel would make it an SBR. I would think there would have to be something else keeping it out of the rifle category. The only other things would be the bore and the trigger.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Read some more on another forum and maybe the fixed stock length to make it more than 26", the short barrel and they think maybe the binary trigger all combine to make it not a rifle but a firearm.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Perhaps it has straight "rifling" and then a small motor to spin the barrel, thus getting the projectile to spin... Or a spring loaded barrel that winds up as you pull the trigger. Or some other sort of mechanical means. I can think of 10 different ways to do that...

million dollar idea, you heard it 1st here.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Perhaps it has straight "rifling" and then a small motor to spin the barrel, thus getting the projectile to spin... Or a spring loaded barrel that winds up as you pull the trigger. Or some other sort of mechanical means. I can think of 10 different ways to do that...

million dollar idea, you heard it 1st here.
    J, only saying this cuz you my friend... put the pipe down bro. Just put it down.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I just read a theory that says it isn't rifled, but isn't smoothbore (which would make it a short barreled shotgun or AOW). Instead the 'lands and grooves' are parralel to the barrel. Therefore it isn't rifled at all, so it isn't a rifle. Interesting theory. Not sure how accurate it would be though...

searspring38

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    MS
    Could be an oval bore like the 9.6x53 Lancaster. It wouldn't have any rifling or be firing a "fixed shotgun shell" making it a "firearm" under the NFA.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom