Help me decide....scope or suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    Should I buy a scope or suppressor? I hunt and target shoot. Currently have a Leupold Mark AR 6-18 Mildot that I’m trying to sell. If it doesn’t I’ll keep it.

Pros/Cons of any of these?

Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1
    Tango 4
    Burris XRT2 5-25

Dead Air Sandman S
    Omega
    SDN-6

Have a 308 Ruger Precision Rifle / 5.56s ext

Thanks for feedback and helping me decide

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have suppressors. I have optics. If you cant see it, you cant shoot it. With that being said i would think a scope first then a can.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Scope over suppressor to begin with.

Reasons:
    If you are the only one on the line with a suppressor its not doing much good noisewise.
    You can swap the scope to almost anything, suppressor is a bit more specific.
    anybody can buy a scope if you want to resell it
    Some matches don't allow suppressors, but you need a scope, lets say for F Class
    Scope failure and you are done. Suppressor failure and you remove it.

There is the mentality of:
    get the suppressor while you can. (no pun intended)
    You can get a used optic cheaper than a used can
    Or you can make a suppressor yourself, can't make a DIY scope
    Get the suppressor now and live with a cheap scope for now, when it dies you will no better what you want to upgrade to.

I would make sure if you spend money on a scope it is in fact an uprgrade and not a sideways move

Last edited:

Ben Karns

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Covington, LA
    Should I buy a scope or suppressor? I hunt and target shoot. Currently have a Leupold Mark AR 6-18 Mildot that I’m trying to sell. If it doesn’t I’ll keep it.

Pros/Cons of any of these?

Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1
    Tango 4
    Burris XRT2 5-25

Dead Air Sandman S
    Omega
    SDN-6

Have a 308 Ruger Precision Rifle / 5.56s ext

Thanks for feedback and helping me decide
    I own these items on your list, here's my take.

Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 - love the optic, no complaints at all, the features make it a great hunting / target scope. I have shot to 1000 yds no problem with it. Pricey but I love it. You could substitute this optic with a vortex LR HS ( roughly same features)

Omega 30 - love the suppersor, swapped ASR mount for Dead air key mo ( same mounting system on sandman s) great modlaur suppresor that can change as your styles change. Yours styles will change and having something modular is a must.

SDN-6 - great suppresor as far as toughness is concerned but the can is heavy, not modular, and terrible customer service and innovation from AAC as they are ownedvby freedom group who owns remington.

My 2 cents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Suppressor for me, but it depends on what you want to do.
    The difference between going from a good optic to a great optic is nice (I imagine). I haven't invested in a really great scope yet. As I understand it, the biggest difference occurs at extended ranges. But... I can see and shoot deer just fine with mid level scopes, especially at the ranges I would feel comfortable taking a shot. Comparatively, if you're shooting at 1200 yds, and your shooting ability is high, a good optic can make a big difference.
    For me... I cannot imagine that the difference between a really great optic and a good optic, would bring me more pure unadulterated joy than shooting suppressed.

REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    Thanks BS for feedback as usual.

I agree with everyone. Finding a 1000 yrd range is difficult. Nice to have a greater optic than what I currently have (Leupold Mark ar mod 1 6-18), but also agree that a suppressor would be sweet. Really hard.

Narrowed it to thee Nightforce shv 4-14 F1 Or a Sandman S suppressor......

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Love the suppressor. That said, the suppressor really shines with subsonic ammo. By your calibers it doesn't look like you're going subsonic. If you get a suppressor recommend 30 cal w/ common quick connect/release mount and then you can move it around to different guns. Good luck!

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    if it were me and I wanted a can and also needed an optic I would put the money down for the can first to get that ball rolling. Then would save for the optic. By the time the approval for the can comes thru might have the bucks for the optic I would want.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Did the paperwork have the barcode on it? If so, that should shave at least 15-20 minutes off the wait time.

Yes, it has the bar code. I think they all do now. Kenny has a nice setup if your already in his system. I did everything from my sofa. 20 minutes, man they are finally getting their act together.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes, it has the bar code. I think they all do now. Kenny has a nice setup if your already in his system. I did everything from my sofa. 20 minutes, man they are finally getting their act together.

Does he have his own machine or is he part of the Silencer Shop system?

Top Bottom