Most common hand gun used in class

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Back when I took my first one, I brought along a Ruger Mk II. :dogkeke:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Some very interesting replies, although I never read them all.
    As I just plain wondered. As over the years, what I saw "New Gun Owners" buying. And what they bought was, what I would consider hard to shoot well for a novice.
    And some even told the store sales man, just give me a box of cheap ammo! As I just want a gun while i can still get one. Plain was to just toss it on a self or something. I guess most are still doing just that.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I noticed a couple of guns in the class I was in. First, the guy that shot on one side of me at the range used a huge 44 mag revolver and couldn't hit worth a crap. There was a lady with a 38 snub revolver and a box of .25 caliber ammo. I used my full size xdm and my wife used her Taurus model 85 snub 38. Out of a dozen shooters, my wife and I were absolutely the best shots in the group. I was actually shocked at how poorly so many people shot. I am no expert marksman, but it was only all <20 feet. The lady with the wrong ammo, after getting the correct ammo, missed a full sized silhuoette at 5-6 feet. My wife was nervous to be in the shooting lane next to her. Our instructor spent a good while with her and basically taught her how to hold, aim, and safely manipulate the gun. She actually improved to shoot better than the 44 mag dude.

multi-media

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    Covington
    You should qualify with the piece that you will actually be carrying. I personally prefer the S&W airweight shorty with the enclosed hammer (won't get cloth pinched from your jacket pocket). I showed up for a "combat focus" weekend training with both my Browning 9mm and the 38 revolver and the instructor told me to train with what I would be carrying.
    Most people had Glocks and I was constantly reloading, but I was able to hit targets called out as good or better than most.
    For me... dependability of a revolver translates to confidence... I don't have the nightmares of "is it chambered, will it jam, etc"
    Whatever you are most comfortable with and also can be concealed... not so confident in the stopping power of a 22... used to carry a Beretta 22LR. The plus P ammo for the 38 is pretty potent and I don't envision ever needing more than a few shots.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    You should qualify with the piece that you will actually be carrying.

Louisiana CHP classes are a joke. The only way they are of value is by going to a course that offers education beyond the state requirements.

Qualifying with the "piece" you carry is irrelevant to your ability to win a gunfight. In my first class, at least 80% of the students couldn't hit center mass at 3 yards. I was the only person in the class with a full size gun, and only two folks had compacts. Everyone else had sub compacts and micro pistols.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Louisiana CHP classes are a joke. The only way they are of value is by going to a course that offers education beyond the state requirements.

Qualifying with the "piece" you carry is irrelevant to your ability to win a gunfight. In my first class, at least 80% of the students couldn't hit center mass at 3 yards. I was the only person in the class with a full size gun, and only two folks had compacts. Everyone else had sub compacts and micro pistols.

My ears are burning. My wife and I are going tomorrow to get our cwp, yes that's what it's called in South Carolina. I'm taking my Kel-Tec pf9, she's taking a Beretta Tomcat. I would rather take my Glock 19, but my father-in-law has it and quite honestly I will probably carry the pf9 much more than the g 19.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    My ears are burning. My wife and I are going tomorrow to get our cwp, yes that's what it's called in South Carolina. I'm taking my Kel-Tec pf9, she's taking a Beretta Tomcat. I would rather take my Glock 19, but my father-in-law has it and quite honestly I will probably carry the pf9 much more than the g 19.

Concealed carry classes are quite possibly the lowest skill level "training" you can take. I use training loosely, because it's not even training. It's essentially a classroom portion and a qualification to make sure you can safely handle a firearm. Sadly, many people do not pass, and sadly, many do...

I really wish people would attend a basic firearms course before going to a concealed carry class. The majority of first time shooters are willing to learn, but many people that go to a concealed carry class are either scared or overconfident in their abilities. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people explain to the instructor how they will just "shoot the bad guy in the knee."

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Typically bring my glock 19, on my last one, I shot my suppressed fn tactical Bc I happened to have it in my range bag

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Concealed carry classes are quite possibly the lowest skill level "training" you can take. I use training loosely, because it's not even training. It's essentially a classroom portion and a qualification to make sure you can safely handle a firearm. Sadly, many people do not pass, and sadly, many do...

I really wish people would attend a basic firearms course before going to a concealed carry class. The majority of first time shooters are willing to learn, but many people that go to a concealed carry class are either scared or overconfident in their abilities. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people explain to the instructor how they will just "shoot the bad guy in the knee."

Class setup:
    Morning session was learning the law and safety, then took written test.
    Afternoon we went to the range and shot a good bit. We were actually drilled on dropping a mag, reload, and shoot. We also had to draw from concealment and shoot. All of this was timed. The final test was 5, 10, 15 yard draw from concealment and shoot twice as fast as possible timed (don't remember exactly the time, but it was a lot).
    Passing the test meant getting a certain percentage of shots in the black silhouette. We weren't told that until the end, he just told us to shoot small. Wife and I got 100%, not a huge challenge.
    Instructor actually told us that if our training stopped there we were only hurting ourselves and would likely die in a shooting incident.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom