Handgun transfer question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i just went thru this(Ohio to Louisiana) with my dads death and my felon sister trying to claim his guns for "her boyfriend". took about 3 months for the judge to tell me to take them home. only a few were on his will, and some that were on the will were long gone. it was cheapest for me to send the lawyer self addressed postage paid boxes to send the guns to myself thru ups.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    If you would, provide the US Code and State Law which allows someone from another state to take possession of a firearm and go back to their state.

I already did. The US Code is linked to the Gov't Printing Office site for the official legislation, and the pertinent exemption is quoted in Post #13. ...

I'd be interested in how you conclude that the sister would be breaking the law. ...

59187844.jpg

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I apologize for not immediately responding to your post. Unfortunately, I have other things to do besides wait for replies on this forum.

It appears as though it would ultimately be up for discussion if the OP was not willing to pass on the firearm. In that case, given the time frame, there may be a need for an attorney. However, that is not so.

Your findings of intestate succession are interesting, because all property is shared equally. I can make the assumption that it would be up to the relatives to decide how the property will be divided. You would have to define the word "shared."

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Been practicing law for 37 years. I know what I would tell the thread starter if he came to me, but since he didn't I shall not comment further.

I still have the gun at my house. Her son is in ICU in Miss right now.

Do you have some advice on what to do?

Last edited:

Old Bubba

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    BRLA
    WOW! Such a mountain made out of a mole hill!! If your dad past, not giving specific ownership of the gun to one of you, it is half hers. If she is not a felon, certified nut case or by some other act of law not allowed to own a firearm it hers unless you dispute ownership. DO NOT MAIL IT. Self transport either you or her.

AND Trailboss is right intra-family firearm transfers do not need paper work in La. or MS.

Way toooo much thought being put into this. :doh:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Charlie12 this is what he meant.(He s a lawyer you know)

Ok I thought he might see that I asked and offered what to do. Might not be in a hurry now her son my nephew died last night in the hospital. Pneumonia and Flu he's been in a coma in ICU for about a week he died at 10pm last night

Top Bottom