Handgun transfer question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Here's the deal.

I live in the home my parents lived in when they were alive and there's a handgun here that my daddy bought probably in the 60's that my sister wants. Only two children me and her and no will.
    I'm in Louisiana and she lives just across the state line in Mississippi.

Question is can she come and get the gun and take it home as hers?

Thanks

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought. Just do it.

That's what I was thinking. It's not mine it's just at my house and she owns half the house. She just happens to live about a mile north of the La line in Miss.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah, all that stuff above, and it's half hers anyway.

I thought I read someplace that it was ok to give a firearm to a relative in another state. However, I just did a quick search and see that even that is supposed to go thru an FFL. Did I dream that, or has there been a change? Anybody know?

Last edited:

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence :eek3:

"Amy Stillwell, a spokeswoman for The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said the federal Brady Law does not require background checks for intrafamily gun gifts." This explanation came out after Sarah Brady revealed in her memoir that she bought James Brady Jr. a Remington 30-06, complete with scope and safety lock [aka "Sniper Rifle"] who lived in another state.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives...les-control-backer-son-rifle-article-1.477603

Since so much other misinformation came out of that group, I would not repeat this as gospel. I do remember that nothing happened to her, but this was a rifle, not a hangun.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wouldn’t trust anything coming out of the Brady Bunch’s mouths. Remember, rules dont apply to the people trying to restrict your freedoms. They are the enemy and we’d do well to consider anything they say suspect and with an ulterior motive.

That said, my understanding is that if there’s a transfer of ownership that crosses state lines, it must be done through an FFL. But if the gun became hers when she still lived in state, then there’s no transfer of ownership and she’s simply be taking her property back home with her.

Mike

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I wouldn’t trust anything coming out of the Brady Bunch’s mouths. Remember, rules dont apply to the people trying to restrict your freedoms. They are the enemy and we’d do well to consider anything they say suspect and with an ulterior motive.

That said, my understanding is that if there’s a transfer of ownership that crosses state lines, it must be done through an FFL. But if the gun became hers when she still lived in state, then there’s no transfer of ownership and she’s simply be taking her property back home with her.

Mike

It wasn't hers when she lived in La. She hasn't lived in La in since about 1975 probably. Daddy died in 1980 and the gun has been here the whole time. He had two 38's I took one and she wants the other. There was no will saying who gets what. I'm ok with her having it. Just didn't know if I need to take it to Miss and find a FFL and do paper work or what. I don't want problems later.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    It wasn't hers when she lived in La. She hasn't lived in La in since about 1975 probably. Daddy died in 1980 and the gun has been here the whole time. He had two 38's I took one and she wants the other. There was no will saying who gets what. I'm ok with her having it. Just didn't know if I need to take it to Miss and find a FFL and do paper work or what. I don't want problems later.

Since your father died without a will, the guns belonged to both of you upon his death as part of the estate, depending on how LA estate laws work. Under federal law, she can legally pick up her inheritance by succession and take it home, as long as she is not a felon, convicted of domestic violence, or is otherwise not prohibited from owning a firearm in her home state.

Here it is in the US Code
    https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title18/pdf/USCODE-2011-title18-partI-chap44-sec922.pdf

"18 U.S.C § 922 (a)(3)...except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State..."

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany

Must be shipped to a FFL for transfer.

It's bad enough you have created a digital record of how many people suggest skirting the law.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Must be shipped to a FFL for transfer.

It's bad enough you have created a digital record of how many people suggest skirting the law.

Why do you think that my quote of the US Code pertaining to the Brady Bill requirements is skirting the law?

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    If you would, provide the US Code and State Law which allows someone from another state to take possession of a firearm and go back to their state.

I already did. The US Code is linked to the Gov't Printing Office site for the official legislation, and the pertinent exemption is quoted in Post #13. The ATF developed regulations to implement the legislation, as directed by Congress, including all legislated exemptions and published them in the Code of Federal Regulations 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32. To further interpret the CFR published regulations, the ATF has released informational guidelines such as this one that actually explains the previously quoted exemption in layman's terms.

She already owns (co-owns it with her brother) it through intestate succession, and neither LA or MS have any state laws prohibiting transport of personally-owned firearms. They could ask a LA estate attorney to verify co-ownership of all assets (with LA Napoleonic laws, everything could go the the oldest male heir or some such strange wording). I don't know if MS has any requirements on how it should be transported.

I'd be interested in how you conclude that the sister would be breaking the law.

Of course, if the OP really wants to be safe, he can take the handgun with his sister and $15-25 to a MS FFL and go through the Brady check, document ownership transfer, and go home to a good night's sleep.

Last edited:

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Your Dad gave it to her in 1991. Remember...it was 2 years prior to the Brady Law being signed.

Top Bottom