Coming Soon, Honda Monkey

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    ROFL I have seen many groms go off-road, main issue I have seen is them high-centering rather funny to watch... But the bike is so small and light that you can just pick it up and move it if need be.

Also the Grom is what you can call a monkey bike, people would do stupid things on them for no reason and have a lot of fun riding a slow bike fast... because riding a fast bike slow sucks...

I actually learned how to ride a motorcycle on one... and Yes I ate **** on it at least once lol
    by offroad i mean actual trail riding, not the dirt strips here in Louisiana.
    and ive ridden the grom, it is an ok bike, but ive also ridden 200cc-500cc super motos.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    by offroad i mean actual trail riding, not the dirt strips here in Louisiana.
    and ive ridden the grom, it is an ok bike, but ive also ridden 200cc-500cc super motos.

I've seen pictures of people doing it but when I was around people on groms it was mainly short jaunts under overpass etc... When I return in several months I'm in the market for a new bike my dream is a 650cc DS with EFI and not be 10k like the ktm 690

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I've seen pictures of people doing it but when I was around people on groms it was mainly short jaunts under overpass etc... When I return in several months I'm in the market for a new bike my dream is a 650cc DS with EFI and not be 10k like the ktm 690

the klr is pretty much the standard for basic getcha anywhere ds bike. even the 250 is a blast.

soooo many mods, and so much accessories.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    the klr is pretty much the standard for basic getcha anywhere ds bike. even the 250 is a blast.

soooo many mods, and so much accessories.

I just do not like fooling with carbs... If I go carb I am sticking to the Honda XR650L... The KLR is too damn heavy for real trails and once a year (or so) I trailer them to Colorado and a KLR is common there... but so is seeing them broken on the side of the trail...

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    The thing that scares me with little motorcycles is the in experienced riders. This is a great example of this. Groms on the Dragon.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...D081614A203B7A32537DD081614A203B7A3&FORM=VIRE
    My friend was there for that ride, said it was full of a bunch of idiots and he and his wife broke off from the pack ASAP... Too many wrecks... But man you saw me when I was just learning how to ride... I had a good head about me but not a damn clue how to do much more than ride in a straight line... You introduced me to the idea of standing on the pegs...

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    if you want the bullitproof, super lightweight stuff you gotta pay the ktm/bmw/ducati price.

Honda = Heavy, underpowered yet reliable my 2014 CRF250L had 41k miles in 3 years with minimal issues for a bike I pad under 4k for that's fantastic!!

Kawasaki = Moderate weight, moderate power, and good reliability

Suzuki = Heavy, moderate power, and decent reliability

KTM/Huskavarna= Light, powerful, but you better watch that maintenance or you might be pushing.. (Exception to this is the KTM 690/Husky701 they are heavy but very powerful and reliable but cost as much a Harley sportster!!)

BMW= Heavy (unless you can find a G450X), expensive, reliable but a pain to maintain... But for a road bike they are great...

Ducati= EXPENSIVE and $$$$$

If Honda slapped EFI into the 650L and kept the price around 6-7k I would buy it.. Or if they came out with a CRF300L (the 250L uses the same engine as the CBR250R and the CRB300R is just a stroked version of that) I would get it as well... I am thinking of a used WR250R, and some sort of heavier bike like a BMW...

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    just supermoto a straight dirt bike. its incredibly easy to register a bike for plates here. just apply for a title, take title and proof of insurance to dmv, they register it, no questions asked.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    just supermoto a straight dirt bike. its incredibly easy to register a bike for plates here. just apply for a title, take title and proof of insurance to dmv, they register it, no questions asked.
    I actually have a 96 Honda XR400R that has plates on it.. You cannot just get a street title in LA anymore so I had to do the SD registration... in fact all I had was a BOS and now I have a street legal title!!! Score!!! Thing is it is not wired for street yet, the FCR carb has not been attached and tuned, needs new tires and tubes, could use the frame powdercoated... suspension probably needs to be redone... so its a project... and I am out of country for a while so it just sits... I did the title more as a test and was shocked when it worked... But it had low hours and sat for a while but it has fired up with starter fluid in front of me so there is hope...

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I actually have a 96 Honda XR400R that has plates on it.. You cannot just get a street title in LA anymore so I had to do the SD registration... in fact all I had was a BOS and now I have a street legal title!!! Score!!! Thing is it is not wired for street yet, the FCR carb has not been attached and tuned, needs new tires and tubes, could use the frame powdercoated... suspension probably needs to be redone... so its a project... and I am out of country for a while so it just sits... I did the title more as a test and was shocked when it worked... But it had low hours and sat for a while but it has fired up with starter fluid in front of me so there is hope...
    the old xr engines are tanks. ive been keeping an eye out for an xr500 to rebuild.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    the old xr engines are tanks. ive been keeping an eye out for an xr500 to rebuild.

I am wondering if I want to put the time and money into this one... I'm worried about theft... Parking it outside a shop in Nola for a few mins... I want at least a steering lock as often times people hop on and off the steering is locked they hop off... To many people have bikes like this disappear

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    "IF" you are considering parting with the 400 a coworker is looking for one. As far as the XR650L, I have first dibs on it. It's so much lighter than my DR650.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    "IF" you are considering parting with the 400 a coworker is looking for one. As far as the XR650L, I have first dibs on it. It's so much lighter than my DR650.

But what about bone? You love that bike?

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    It has served me well. Since bumping the compression and the cam upgrade it has the kind of torque that makes you smile. My biggest hurdle is I just can't pick it up after it naps. My DR is heavy and I'm not getting any younger.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    This thread reminded me of the enduro thread a while back.....im still looking for people to cruise with on my tw200!

You gotta go north of covington for the good roads... I got rid of my TW200... regret that... But still don't know what bike I am going to get so who knows, if there is a deal I may get one again...

It has served me well. Since bumping the compression and the cam upgrade it has the kind of torque that makes you smile. My biggest hurdle is I just can't pick it up after it naps. My DR is heavy and I'm not getting any younger.

When I do decide on a bike I need to do another trip to Colorado... Sadly it will be too late in 2018 when I get back so I am already thinking of 2019...

I think I will get a used EFI WR250R, and something else as well.. maybe a used DR650 for more of the road work...

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I am wondering if I want to put the time and money into this one... I'm worried about theft... Parking it outside a shop in Nola for a few mins... I want at least a steering lock as often times people hop on and off the steering is locked they hop off... To many people have bikes like this disappear

they have new locks that go over the bar and lock clutch lever..

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    they have new locks that go over the bar and lock clutch lever..

The brake line lock? I have seen those too... then they just cut the brake line and off they go... I wish I could get a steering lock retrofitted (for not a for fortune)

Top Bottom