Sales Tax on Internet Gun Purchases

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beveaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2015
    outside NOLA
    The Advocate today has an article that the State of Louisiana is now requiring internet sellers with $50,000+ in sales, to report to the state all internet sales shipped into Louisiana.

Has anyone received a letter/email from a supplier telling them that their purchase has been reported?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Other large scale sellers like Amazon are having to do it. It is sales of all kinds across the board. They can not do it woith smaler sellers so they hit the large ones up. The new laws are thanks to the new The Democrat Governor.
    He want's more tax. If we would just use the tax dollars we give them right, they would not need more.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Amazon has been a proponent of it for a while because it benefits them. If a retailer has a physical presence in the state, they were required to collect sales tax. Online retailers, including Amazon in its early years, had the advantage in most states because they had a presence in only a limited number of states. They could sell for cheaper than a B&M and not charge tax. As amazon started to get bigger, they started opening up distribution centers in more places around the country. That meant Amazon was losing that "no tax" advantage state by state. So what's the best way to not lost that little advantage? Make sure every online retailer has to pay it.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    Just move to another state.Thats what were doing.We gave up.
    We like La. but this is ignorant and redundant for any state to do.

I am not going to pay tax on things when I can move 60 miles
    away to better roads,,better food,better health care,better pay.

And yes,I have received numerous letters form dozens of comapanys
    saying that La wants their tax cut.Yall can have it,we done.

And its sad,their are only 4,876,364 people in La. compared to 5.2
    million in houston.Yet Houston seems to thrive daily.Go figure.
    La could be such a great state again,just have too many idiots
    running it now.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Just move to another state.Thats what were doing.We gave up.
    We like La. but this is ignorant and redundant for any state to do.

I am not going to pay tax on things when I can move 60 miles
    away to better roads,,better food,better health care,better pay.

And yes,I have received numerous letters form dozens of comapanys
    saying that La wants their tax cut.Yall can have it,we done.

And its sad,their are only 4,876,364 people in La. compared to 5.2
    million in houston.Yet Houston seems to thrive daily.Go figure.
    La could be such a great state again,just have too many idiots
    running it now.

Agreed. Louisiana is my home, born and raised, but enough is enough. It's a steady race to be the best at being the worst.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Did not realize tax had raised so much. Checked out at the grocery store today and see this on the receipt:
    Tax 1 - 10.5%
    Tax 2 - 5.5%

16% in all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How will the State of Louisiana require a merchant in some other state to report this data? What legal authority can they assert?

I ask out of genuine curiosity; I'd think that if any state had an actionable way to do this, that they would have done this many years ago.

Mike

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    How will the State of Louisiana require a merchant in some other state to report this data? What legal authority can they assert?

I ask out of genuine curiosity; I'd think that if any state had an actionable way to do this, that they would have done this many years ago.

Mike

They the large ones like Amazon will collect it. the rest like Ebay keep track of what ya spent in a years and 1099 ya and are sending a letter So ya owe the state the $
    Or so I hear that's what is up. {ie} they would trust ya to send it in

Jstevens56

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2017
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I buy a LOT online. Only place that has said they would send me a letter is Newegg.com. And if you think LA is bad you should try living in MD. The sales tax is higher here but property tax is much higher and you do not have as many freedoms or gun rights. I recently moved here and I'm not looking back.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Did not realize tax had raised so much. Checked out at the grocery store today and see this on the receipt:
    Tax 1 - 10.5%
    Tax 2 - 5.5%

16% in all...

Manually do the math on the taxes.
    As Blue Diamond said some items were taxed at 10.5%, and some items at 5.5%, none were taxed at 16%.
    The first time I saw that on a receipt I thought something was wrong, but did the math and realized my misunderstanding.
    The way they put it on the receipt, is confusing.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Manually do the math on the taxes.
    As Blue Diamond said some items were taxed at 10.5%, and some items at 5.5%, none were taxed at 16%.
    The first time I saw that on a receipt I thought something was wrong, but did the math and realized my misunderstanding.
    The way they put it on the receipt, is confusing.

Ah, makes sense...certainly threw me off.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.

Mike

The state of Louisiana Tax Departments work with other states Tax Departments to make this work. Try going across state lines to buy a car, or boat or ATV and see what happens. You won't pay taxes at neighboring states at point of sale but you will soon receive a letter from Baton Rouge requesting these taxes due. If not paid they will cancel your driving license,hunting fishing license,marraige license, and put up an attachment for your arrest. Life will be terrible. You don't want to get that letter.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My brother grabbed a cat at Car Max in Texas and paid the tax at the DMV when he registered it.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Yes they put that loophole on food to leave it alone. So ya pay 5.5 percentage or whatever unless ya have a BET card or whatever it is. Then ya pay zero free food and no tax

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I fully expected Louisiana to take the federal tax cuts as an opportunity to tax us more. I am confident other changes are coming as well.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The state of Louisiana Tax Departments work with other states Tax Departments to make this work. Try going across state lines to buy a car, or boat or ATV and see what happens. You won't pay taxes at neighboring states at point of sale but you will soon receive a letter from Baton Rouge requesting these taxes due. If not paid they will cancel your driving license,hunting fishing license,marraige license, and put up an attachment for your arrest. Life will be terrible. You don't want to get that letter.

Cars have to be titled and licensed, which makes it easy to track taxes. And the dealer selling you the car doesn't have to report back to the State of Louisiana; that's the buyer's responsibility.

I still don't understand how Louisiana can force an out-of-state company to report purchases. Or, is this something that all 50 states have implemented simultaneously?

Mike

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom