Kimber K6s 3" Revolver

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I managed to find one of these in stock and, looking for a new carry piece, decided to pick one up. I'm really only used to single action revolvers and my 617 so there's a bit of a learning curve to shoot it which has been far from insurmountable - just had to budget for some more range time.

Fit and finish is amazing. Everything locks tight, it feels nice in the hand and the stainless is very nice. It's a pretty standard hammerless auction with an incredible trigger. The cylinder release is more of a push button style like you see on Rugers than the push foward style you see on Smith and Wessons. Everything is dehorned and melted so that there aren't any sharp edges to catch or cut. This was designed from the ground up as a carry revolver.

With 357 loads it's definitely a handful; I tried some Hornady American Gunner 357 and it's just straight up painful to shoot. Winchester PDX1s 357 are snappy but far more reasonable to shoot out of this gun. It eats .38 spl like candy and is a lot of fun to shoot. As soon as I can get them I want to try some of Buffalo Bore's "FBI" load of .38 +p soft lead SWCHP ammunition, but that is pretty scarce right now.

My only complaints are
    1 - the grips are pretty but I prefer something with some texture. I want to put grips on there that cover up or cushion the steel backstrap but no luck yet - Altamont makes grips for the 2" model and Crimson Trace does as well, including non-laser rubber grips but again, not for the 3" model.
    2- There aren't a lot of aftermarket parts makers for the 3" model yet. I had to search high and low until I found the one holster maker out there that could get me an IWB that would fit it. Kimber has now partnered with DeSantis gunhide to make holsters for the 3" model though.

In all I'm quite happy with the gun, it carries very well and shoots wonderfully when I do my part. The trigger is clean and crisp, no stacking; once you bring the next round into alignment with the cylinder it's a short, consistent break to drop the hammer. Replaceable sights are nice to have since I plan on putting tritium sights on it. The 6 round as opposed to 5 round cylinder for a snubnose revolver speaks for itself.

Standard Kimber box. There goes a car payment, and then some.

Comes in this pretty standard zip case obviously meant for automatics.

Six shots!

Rough idea of the size. I can just about completely cover the gun by laying my hand flat on it.

The gun comes with one speed strip. I paid extra for the speed loader. The holster is from the only outfit I found that made an IWB for the 6" - ETW Holsters and it is tuckable and works great. Might only be available on their Etsy store though. I'll still probably pick up something in kydex because why not.

Last edited:

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    That's one well built gun there! Nice that it is 6 shots as well. Like the old Colt's

Yeah, there's some talk of things like holsters and speedloaders for the D-Frames working in this model but I haven't seen anyone actually try yet. I really really really want some new grips for it, the stock ones are pretty but I prefer something that covers up the backstrap and with some grip to it - the smooth grips get pretty slick after a shooting session of any length.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Very nice, I would be proud to own that!!!

I am sure hogue will bring out a bantam grip for it. It needs something like that to cover the backstrap.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Very nice! Nice, smooth melted lines. Nice grips also.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom